Need Exhaust Flange From Old Cat Pipe | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Exhaust Flange From Old Cat Pipe

J5hort

Reaction score
City, State
South Easton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT
1995 Sport
Hi All,

I'm looking at keeping the original Y-Pipe which is a 2 into 1 that terminates into an oval 3 bolt flange. This appears to be specific and not an ordinary 3 bolt (circular). In any event, the next pipe down stream is a pipe with cats that has the other side of that same oval collector with a 3 bolt configuration. I threw away a perfectly good flange (spent cats) years ago. I was wondering if anyone had an old cat pipe with this flange lying around that could be cut off with enough room so I can us it to add to a straight pipe or straight thru style muffler. I am going single exhaust out the passenger side of my lifted 95 Sport. Wanted to check here first, I may make a trip to the boneyard, in hopes to find. Anyone have anything hey can chop up? The flange gasket looks like the attached which should give a good idea of what i am looking to connect to.

s-l300.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had one that I deleted cat and made into a single 2.5 pipe. Recycled about a year ago lol Went 5.0 ..

Ok, so I did not get too much by way of replies with a salvage flange, so I decided to fabricate one. Pictures below. I was able to install Walker y-Pipe and will either fabricate a 3" to 2.5" reducer to fit the new oval flange or fit flange with a 3" straight pipe. I plan then attach a straight thru muffler and then a 45 out the side. I have read about 3" to muffler in then 2.5 out of muffler as a possible solution. Thoughts on a complete 3" system, 3" to 2.5" reducer then 2.5" downstream from the y-pipe or 3" before and 2.5" after muffler setups? Fuel economy, noise pollution, air pollution are not a huge concern as this is more of a yard truck and does not see the street too much. Just looking for an economical way to get this running and inspected. It is out of emissions test requirement, so will just need a safety check. Any thoughts, ideas, pics of similar much appreciated.

view

view

20180603_113340.jpg

20180603_113411.jpg

20180603_120529.jpg

20180603_120535.jpg

20180603_124400.jpg

20180603_124407.jpg

20180603_124428.jpg

You shouldn’t need a 3 inch pipe.

3" pipe may just be a preference for ease of fabrication as a reducer may not need to be incorporated. Would the 3" pipe be a problem either before muffler or after muffler?

I don’t think it’ll be a “problem”, it’s just not needed at all for the motor to breathe.

Cool. I'll look around for some ideas and try some parts. Oh, and sorry for the huge images.

Also, may need to clean up my oval cutout in the flange as it will need to accommodate the wall thickness of the pipe or adapter, although I will probably be hammering it into the oval shape. Not sure how exact it needs to be.

UPDATE: Sorry for the delay, this is a side project. Was able to weld up a 3" straight pipe and the fabricated flange and install y-pipe and straight pipe in my Sport. I plan to attach a straight thru muffler, then a pipe with 45 degree and exit out the side before rear wheel. Only issue I can see is that there is little room between the frame and bottom of truck floor in that area. Options include, flattening out last foot or so of pipe to a thin oval and fit between, cut hole in frame so pipe can pass at frame height, knaw into body a bit to exit out side of body panel. There is quite a bit of rusted out on the rear panel and I have already squared off. No real plans to replace unless I get bored and weld in some panels. I may go body bed liner paint at some point and will probably do then. Thoughts, ideas or other?

I'm looking at doing a similar job to my 91, and was wondering what you found out during the rest of your build. Any pictures of the finished product? How does it run/sound?

Hey Rustbucket, Sorry for the delay in update. My 95 Ex is a yard truck that sees the road every once and a while. I bought it new in 95. Had to chop original y-Pipe to drop tranny for clutch replacement. Shame as it was still in good condition. Originally I wanted to replace exhaust manifolds to headers and go dual exhaust, but decided on keeping stock manifolds, add walker y-pipe, to straight thru muffler (no cats) and 3" out to back. I need inspection and will change to exhaust exit just before rear wheel on passenger side. It is a 2 door, but I think the rear vented window makes a rear exhaust exit necessary for inspection. I used band clamps for all connections. Some pix of 3" pipe, exit and flange fabrication below. This is a budget build, y-pie set me back 90, muffler 20, clamps about 10/per and 3" pipe about 30.

Exhaust is quieter than open headers! Seems to be loudest at low RPM's and has somewhat of a higher tuner type pitch once up to revs. Not throaty at all. This was a budget build and I designed so that I can easily chage routing and diameters with reducers, etc to experiment. I'll try to get an audio clip. I plan to drive for Jan and Feb so I can keep my convertible (jag) out of the snow. Am also working on 03 Mustang GT convertible. Let me know if you have any questions.

ex.jpg

IMG_20180917_084844_3.jpg

20180712_083529.jpg

20180712_083511.jpg

Back