1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Need Help Improving My Explorer's Ride Quality

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by ExplorerSport2WD, December 27, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ExplorerSport2WD

ExplorerSport2WD New Member

City, State:
      Rochester, MI
      Year and Model:
      '01 Sport 2WD XLT
      I am a new user to this site who recently re-took possession of a 2001 Sport 2WD; which served two kids very well during their years at college. But I was shocked after driving the vehicle (for the first time since it was new) to discover just how sloppy the suspension and steering was on the vehicle. The back end loses contact with the road at higher speeds and rough road conditions, and the suspension feels like the vehicle is slamming against the pavement.

Now I'll admit that suspension and overall ride quality (even as a brand new vehicle) were not my Explorer's strongest attributes. But ride quality was substantially better then, than it is now after having provided 75K miles of faithful service.

My initial suspicion is the vehicle needs new shocks, rear springs replaced and new tires. Then after high speed balancing new tires and checking front/rear alignment to see that it’s within factory specs, we can evaluate the effect on ride quality and if necessary, tweak things from there.

In an effort to avoid wasting a lot of time (and more importantly money) trying to resolve and improve the ride quality issue, I'm curious to know what experience other users would be willing to share on this topic. For instance, has anyone had particularly good experience with a specific brand and model of tires on their Explorer? I'm running on the factory issued P23570R16's and am reluctant to change tire sizes for fear of causing another problem. Likewise, the shock and replacement of rear springs, I'm not comfortable moving away from OEM products without guidance from someone who's experienced improved results.

Any other advice that anyone can offer to improve ride quality would be appreciated. I just don't want to modify the suspension system that Ford designed in the vehicle initially, for fear of negative results or more importantly creating an unsafe condition in the vehicle.

Thank you in advance for your comments and input!

Last edited: December 27, 2007
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    4. unclemeat

unclemeat Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Richmond, VA
      Year and Model:
      91 sport
      Inspect all suspension bushings, replace with rubber if necessary. A new set of shocks, I like Bilstein 5100s (mono tube). Check your tire pressure with an accurate gage. Less presure, lower spring rate, smotther ride.

5. ExplorerSport2WD

City, State:
      Rochester, MI
      Year and Model:
      '01 Sport 2WD XLT
      Will do. Thank you for the comments and advice.

6. Sams01XplrSprt

Sams01XplrSprt Southern Cali Explorer

City, State:
      Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
      Year and Model:
      2001 Sport (sold)
      welcome explorer u got pics of ur sport

7. hunterdan

hunterdan Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Fairless Hills, Pa
      Year and Model:
      2010 Chevy Silverado
      Are you looking into trying to tighten up the suspension? Looking for a firmer ride or smoother/softer ride? AS far as shocks, Monroe Sensatracs or Reflexes should work well. I would check the bushings, although I've yet to do them on my 98.

Dan

8. ExplorerSport2WD

City, State:
      Rochester, MI
      Year and Model:
      '01 Sport 2WD XLT
      Soften it up some, as the vehicle rides like a boulder bouncing on the pavement. I'm concerned that it'll knock out my fillings if I don't address it soon. Thank you.