1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Need help on removing fuel rail

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by GunnerSchenck, July 11, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. GunnerSchenck

GunnerSchenck Member

City, State:
      Sugar Grove, PA
      Year and Model:
      1992 Ford Explorer EB
      I am removing my fuel rail on my 1992 ford explorer and i have everything off down to the fuel rail so now it's the fuel rail with the injectors connected to the bottom of the rail and i figured id check on how to go about getting it off completely. i figured id check before i messed something up trying to get the injectors out of the rail. any help is appreciated, thank you.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. GunnerSchenck

GunnerSchenck Member

City, State:
      Sugar Grove, PA
      Year and Model:
      1992 Ford Explorer EB
      I have everything off from the intake to the regulator and fuel lines and everything. the only thing there is the fuel rail with all of the injectors underneath. and if i grab one of the injectors you can see the rail is free moving so i'm pretty sure all the bolts and everything are disconnected. just i dont know how to undo all of the injectors from the rail and i feel that if i just pull something will go wrong so any insight would be helpful to say the least. thank you

4. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT 4x4
      To pull the injectors you pull the nuts off to get the upper intake off. You then use E-torx bits to pull the studs that those previously removed nuts where on. Now the entire fuel rail/plate with injectors will come up.

If they have never been off before your going to rip a few of the o-rings as the injectors come up. Some injectors may stick in the rail and come out of the lower intake while others may come out of the rail and stay in the lower intake. It doesn't really matter.

When you install the new injectors make sure you lube up the o-rings with NON petroleum based stuff. I just use cooking oil. I have an old bottle I keep in the shed for just such a reason.

~Mark

5. GunnerSchenck

GunnerSchenck Member

City, State:
      Sugar Grove, PA
      Year and Model:
      1992 Ford Explorer EB
      i have the studs out but it's not lifting up at all. do you think it's just stuck or something? because i can't see anything but the injectors holding it in place and if it is that simple to remove this fuel rail then perhaps the injectors are just stuck in the lower intake as well as the rail?

6. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT 4x4
      Yup, they are probably just stuck. The only thing holding the rail on is the studs (assuming everything above it is off).

You may have to pry it up some to get it to pop free. This gives you an idea of the fun you will have when trying to line up all 6 injectors when you re-install the rail.

~Mark

7. tweakedlogic

tweakedlogic Active Member

City, State:
      memphis, tn
      Year and Model:
      '92 XLT
      Be absolutely sure you have everything off of the fuel rail before you pry. But it sounds like your o rings have just welded themselves in place. Even if some of you o rings look good, replace all of them! When you replace them, wipe just a tiny little bit of petroleum jelly around them. Do not goop it on, only a thin film. Actually, if you do this to just one side of every gasket you install, later, if/when you need to remove it again, it will most likely be reusable because it will stick to the side that has no jelly, but release from the jelly side unharmed.