Need help to break into my Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help to break into my Explorer

needliftfor97

Reaction score
City, State
bel air maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
I locked my keys in my 97 explorer(power locks) and i dont have a spare set, they are at home. I cant afford to pay someone without trying myself as i am a poor college student. Anyone successful in breaking into theres?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you have full coverage insurance?

if so, toss a big rock throught the window, theres usually no deductible on glass replacement. :D

Ryan

I have seen the rear glass pryed out just enough to squeeze a coat hanger in, and then hit the lock/unlock button in the rear.

if you do it carefully you can pry the door away from the door jamb and use a long stick or coat hanger to hit the lock button. i would suggest not prying the glass itself. i work in law enforcement and do this myself several times a week for others. if you pry on the door your less likely to break the glass.

If you know ANYONE who has AAA, all they have to do is say that they were driving the car. Needless to say, they need to be there when AAA shows up. AAA coverage is by the person (not car) and covers anything they say they were driving,.

yea my roommate and i tried the rear window and coat hanger but he couldnt get enough leverage to press the unlock button, i dont quite understand the whole door jam thing?

the door jam is the opening the door is in. jam is just a nice way of saying hole. pry the door away from the truck only about 1/4 to 1/2 inch, pry at the top rear corner of the door just above the glass. hit the button with a coat hanger don't bother to try and pull up on the door lock itself. you dont need alot of leverage to press the electric lock button.

Bend a coat hanger into a L shape and go thru the back tailgate window. You can lift the glass a bit in the corner if needed to get the coat hanger between the weather stripping & glass and simply line it up with the button in the rear and hit the button.

Try calling the local police station; some stations have "slimjims" that they can use to unlock cars. But, some stations won't do it because it sometimes scratched the windows and they want to avoid lawsuits; but it couldn't hurt to try.

But otherwise the AAA idea would be the best way to go.

Lt.Jim said:
if you do it carefully you can pry the door away from the door jamb and use a long stick or coat hanger to hit the lock button. i would suggest not prying the glass itself. i work in law enforcement and do this myself several times a week for others. if you pry on the door your less likely to break the glass.

I unscrew and use my antenna LOL

i had a car towed one week for having 6546431343 parking tickets. helped the tow truck driver get in to the car with the antenna. one week later had the owner of the car call cause he locked his keys in it. :eek: i asked the owner if this was the car that got towed and he said yes i told him "no prob i know how to get in" :D

The local police won't respond for a lock pop unless there is an emergency related to it like a baby or a dog or animal in the car, or if there is medication that is considered life threatening if not taken in the vehicle. When I was a volunteer fire fighter a while ago, we used to only respond in those cases.

Have someone at home photocopy a door key, then get it faxed/emailed to you, buy a ford keyblank and start filing by hand until it matches the photocopy

i have to break into my 93 almost twice a week, all i have to do is pop the glass from the lock on the tail gate. If you pull hard enough, it should come off, watch out though because when it comes out of the lock, you dont want your head in the way.

Never tried it myself, but I have heard that if you can get the hood open you can remove the relay that feeds the locks. When you plug it back in the doors are supposed to unlock.

19XLS99 said:
Have someone at home photocopy a door key, then get it faxed/emailed to you, buy a ford keyblank and start filing by hand until it matches the photocopy

Now THAT is the "thinking outside of the box" style I like!! :D :thumbsup:

Wow....thax for the help guys....the method of going through the back window just worked for me although I couldnt get enough leverage with a clothes hanger....I used a slightly larger piece of metal i had lying around and got rite in....thanx guys just saved me a bunch of money!

sucks to hear it is so easy to get in to our cars! oh well, at least if someone did that my alarm will still be going off...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fish Man said:
sucks to hear it is so easy to get in to our cars! oh well, at least if someone did that my alarm will still be going off...

Ever think about how you'd break into your own house if you locked yourself out? It's the same kind of thing.... gotta have a back-up plan. :)

For the trucks, I've got the keyless entry on the door, so it's not a problem. For the house.... I'm not tellin! ;)

-Joe

Back