Need help with negative battery cable | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with negative battery cable

Cobra Jet

Reaction score
City, State
Southern, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLS
Hi Fellas,

I’m in need of some help with the negative battery cable for my father’s Explorer (I’m not in the same location of vehicle). I’ve been searching this site and keep hitting dead ends (or not getting the threads for the 2002-2005’s). I did post in the “Under the Hood” sub forum, but it looks like that section is not as active.

Here’s my post:

I need a replacement negative battery cable for the following vehicle:

2003 Ford Explorer
XLT
AWD
V8 (4.6)

I have been googling, looking on auto parts store websites and eBay but cannot determine correct cable OR the correct Ford Part number...

Also would there be a less expensive auto parts store OEM alternative?

Any help is appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Cobra Jet Buy some 1-0 welding cable, nice and flexible, a good lead battery terminal for one end, and a good, copper, solderable crimp-on spade terminal for the other end, and make up your own cable. Better than OEM. imp

Ford high amp/heavy gauge factory wiring is quite poor to be honest. As said above making your own is better.

Thanks guys for the help!

One question, since I’m not near the vehicle and looking at the White Bear Ford part drawing - does that negative cable have any other leads on it?

Just asking because it’s hard to tell from that rendering and I know a lot of vehicles from 2000 forward have different battery cables with additional leads on them due to the electronics packages, etc. or does that only apply to the positive cable on the Explorers?

Thanks again for the help - MUCH appreciated!

@Cobra Jet Buy some 1-0 welding cable, nice and flexible, a good lead battery terminal for one end, and a good, copper, solderable crimp-on spade terminal for the other end, and make up your own cable. Better than OEM. imp

Consider solid brass battery terminals. I always had corrosion issues until I swapped mine to those.

Thanks guys for the help!

One question, since I’m not near the vehicle and looking at the White Bear Ford part drawing - does that negative cable have any other leads on it?

Just asking because it’s hard to tell from that rendering and I know a lot of vehicles from 2000 forward have different battery cables with additional leads on them due to the electronics packages, etc. or does that only apply to the positive cable on the Explorers?

Thanks again for the help - MUCH appreciated!
@Cobra Jet
YES! The negative terminal which clamps onto the battery post on OEM cables has a separate, black wire, about #10 size, crimped into the terminal. That wire is grounded to the sheetmetal adjacent to the battery, and serves to assure a good "ground return path" for the computer. That wire can easily be worked in if making one's own cable up. imp

If it is the battery end that needs replacing (usually), they are available with either a set screw type or big ugly clamps. Just cut off the old end, clean up the wire ends and secure under the set screw in the new battery post end. I just did this on my John Deere.

I put two additional 4 AWG leads on negative battery terminals. One to the engine and the second to the body. Actually made a difference in terms of headlights and heater fan.

I put two additional 4 AWG leads on negative battery terminals. One to the engine and the second to the body. Actually made a difference in terms of headlights and heater fan.
@Joe in NY
Years ago, the makers relied entirely on the body and frame to carry ground current, return to the source, battery, alternator and/or generator. "Bad grounds" was very often a complaint, but found less often today, as crucial things like fuel pumps are fed by two wires, not relying on the body so much. Ford used to employ a big, braided copper cable, flat with no insulation, to ground the engine to the body, up by the top of the firewall. I saw those used often as battery negative cables, too. imp

Back