Need help with stereo install

Edon

Reaction score
City, State
Yonkers, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey everyone.

I just had my car broken into and radio stollen after going through insurance and headache I finally got my window fixed but still didn't get a radio. I installed radios before in my other cars but I havent done ones with the DVD yet I found this pretty cool one online and I am thinking of getting it within a few days so I wanted some feedback on will it fit and how hard it is to install. Here is the link to the jvc DVD kw-av60bt stereo that I am thinking of putting in

http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL029024&pathId=133&page=1

I just need some feedback on is it the right thing for my car and how hard is it to put in. I am pretty savy with wiering and electronics I am just a bit worried about if there is any special steps that need to be taken or should I just get a pro to do it.

Thank you all in advance.
Best forum on the net

Edon H.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry for not specifying I have a 2003 ford explorer xlt4.0 v6

First thing I would be concerned about is the new one getting stolen too!

Having said that, I recommend going to www.crutchfield.com and put in your vehicle info. They will let you know if it will fit and any considerations with the install. If you get it from Crutchfield they usually include the mounting hardware, wiring harness, and the wiring diagrams to make the install go smooth.

Their customer service is second to none!

They are also a vendor here. Vlad is a great guy and very helpful: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355094

I say install it yourself!

Its pretty straight forward. Get the correct harness and dash kit. And you'll be good to go. Check out metraonline.com And use their vehicle fit guide. As far as units go. JVC isnt bad. I was just never a fan of their interface. And with the price of double DINs steadily going down, it wouldnt be my first option

Thanx rondo I'll try both ways ... Reason my first one got stollen is bc I parked it where I never park and left the faceplate on knowing where I am my car is usually in my driveway or garage by my train station but these things are unpredictable so I can't let it bring me down lol

Thanks for your help, as I said before greatest forum on the net.

What would you suggest I'm always open for opinions I just like this one bc had good ratings and good interface with iPhone

hey, i would say check out the jvc kwnt3hdt. i have it in my 07 and it works great. it has a removable face so you dont have to worry about that. plus it has gps. if you have questions about it or want pics let me know.

Hey Edon, I have to ditto with BigRondo on buying from Crutchfield. They are the best and will make the job real easy with the support they provid. Sorry I have no recommendations on what unit to buy. I have the same model X that you have and I am having a tough time deciding on my own replacement stereo unit (It's the original stock unit. I just want something "better". That Pioneer that ronwc is recommending looks good to me, and it's a lot less expensive. Good luck with that project!

Thank you all for the help means a lot I did find the jvc one on eBay for 100 less than best buy and reason I like that one is because it mirrors the iPhone to the screen and has a lot of apps that can be used through the stereo like a great app which I absolutely love gps drive motion x and the service with turn by turn voice guidance is only 9.95 for the year so this way I don't have to get a separate gps unit I can just use the one on my iPhone.

Good luck on the project. Post up some pics when you are done...........:popcorn:

Good luck on the project. Post up some pics when you are done...........:popcorn:

I sure will .. I ordered the unit today from Crutchfield and should have it installed by Wednesday I cantttt wait to start on it and as I said before I will post pics and probably ask you guys 10000 questions while I'm installing or b4 I begin once I get the unit in my possession

Thanks again guys

Stereo came in I rewired mounted the bracket one question I have is about brake wire how and where do I connect it and how do I bypass it I don't have the bypass so my next Q is can I do it later on when I do get the bypass ... Pics coming soon I will post in a new thread

Thank again guys

Back