Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Need info on 99 Explorer transmission

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by Randy98, February 6, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Randy98

Randy98 New Member

City, State:
      Palestine, West v
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1999 Ford Explorer XLT
      Ok to start out my transmission went out this past Friday, I have reverse but no forward gears. The transmission fluid is burnt so I know the transmission is burnt up. I'm planning on buying another transmission but I can't seem to figure out which model I have. It's a early 1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0sohc. I checked around and it's saying it's a 5r55w. But I'm unsure and want to make sure before making the purchase. Thanks to all in advance!!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. anti eloi

anti eloi Member

City, State:
      Austin, TX
      '98 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC
      There is a ID tag on the passenger side of the transmission aft of the intermediate servo cover. Crawl under there with a flashlight and take a picture or otherwise copy the information. That tag has all the numbers you need to identify the transmission or a compatible unit.

4. transman304

transman304 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Morgantown WV
      2001 Honda Accord
      If you have a dipstick it is the 5R55E. 5R55W didn’t start showing up until 2002.