Need new tires - suggestions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need new tires - suggestions?

2016 Explorer Sport, currently has stock Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 255/50R20 105H tires.

I enjoyed the tires but wished they would have gotten more mileage out of them. Approximately 33,000 miles.

I live in SE Michigan so tires need to handle well in snow and be good in the summer as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After a quick look on Tirerack, I have had the Firestone Destination LE2, and a previous version of the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Used both in all seasons of northern CO and southern WY. I only got rid of the LTX M/S due to age. They still had pry ½ tread left. The LE2 were the replacement for those. I tried them since four of them were the price of three Michelins. and the ratings of them on Tirerack were high in their category. I got rid of those due to them being ½ tread, and got a unbelievable deal on some Kumho AT51.

I would not hesitate buying the Firestone Destination LE2 again, trying the newer Defender LTX M/S, on my 96.

Which tires did you end up with? Michelin, Goodyear, Firestone tires are on my top list. My buddy and I just finished installing the new set of Firestone Destination LE2 on his truck, and it rides better and looks more aggressive now.

I've had two sets of Grabber AT2s, and loved them. Super in the snow, and wore like iron. Rolled the Escape they were for, but was on track to get in the 60k range out of them. (When I rolled they weren't on the truck, ;) )

I've had two sets of Grabber AT2s, and loved them. Super in the snow, and wore like iron. Rolled the Escape they were for, but was on track to get in the 60k range out of them. (When I rolled they weren't on the truck, ;) )

Too bad to hear about the roll. Grabber AT2s are great tires.

It was good in the long run. Got me out of my Eacape, and into a super clean Mounty from the desert.

I was actually looking for tires this weekend, I have same stock tires as OP. In California when chains are required, you must actually have "snow" tires (not just M+S) in addition to 4WD to avoid chains. I had called the CalDOT several times that morning and was given the all clear each time. I skipped buying chains as they were $100+ per set. One hour later, the snow gates were manned and they were turning cars back. The ranger let us pass after I promised to head down if the temp dropped rapidly. We made it up and back down several hours later without incident--4WD never even engaged.

Two questions. No off roading, light snow, occasional ice mostly on bridges.
1) Clearly chains on all four wheels would be best but what does everyone do? Front only or all four?
2) Two more trips this season and maybe 3-4 in each 2019 and 2020. Should I just buy snow tires and install them Dec-Mar?

I'm guaranteed to require a second set of tires to finish out this lease. Having the snow tires on for three months a year could allow me to stretch the stocks to the end of the lease...I drive about 20k miles a year. Thoughts?

Back