• Register Today It's free!

Need radio adapter.

KlimFord

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer 210K
1991 Eddie Bauer AM/FM cassette with toggle. Original went kaput. I found another 1991 Explorer radio on ebay but it is apparently from a different model because when I went to install it I found that one plug on the back was different. The original has one long plug with flat pins and one square plug with round pins. The replacement has slots for two long plugs with tabs. So, I need and adapter to attach the original square plug to the long slot on the replacement radio. Does such and adapter exist and if so where would I find it? (FYI, Crutchfield was no help).

radios-backs-ARROWS-800w.jpg

Need an adapter to plug the square plug on the left shown below to the long slot on the right of the replacement radio shown above.

radio-plugs-1-600w.jpg

Thanks.

I do not know if there is a specific adapter for that setup but you should be able to purchase the necessary connectors online or at a local place that (still) does car audio work and make your own.

Bear in mind that your original radio uses an external amplifier (located under the passenger side rear trim piece in the cargo area) your replacement radio has an internal amplifier - to make this work satisfactorily you should bypass the external amp (that's another pile of work and connector set) otherwise you will be over driving the external amplifier and it will sound pretty bad - personal experience on that one.

Prior to installing a proper amplifier and wiring in my Ex I pulled up the door sill on the passenger side and cut / spliced all of the wires to bypass the amp and tie my head unit directly to the speakers - I probably have my wire color notes on that if you want to go that path; It was much easier than removing the rear trim panel and the super brittle fasteners that explode when touched.

You may be time / money ahead just to hunt down an original radio that was designed to work with a factory amplifier -

Speaking of that - are you sure the original headunit went kaput and not the external amp / power to the external amp?

Speaking of that - are you sure the original headunit went kaput and not the external amp / power to the external amp?

Thanks for the info. The radio plays OK but the auto buttons and cassette player don't work so I think amp and connectors are OK. Guess I'll look for a proper original replacement headunit and sell the one that doesn't fit.

If anyone knows of a stock radio cassette like the original pictured at the beginning of this post please let me know.

SCOSCHE FDK4B 1989-94 Ford Premium Sound retention wire harness kit

Back