Need some help figuring out codes, mainly 332 EGR/DPFE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need some help figuring out codes, mainly 332 EGR/DPFE

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
I've been getting a CEL a lot just lately, so I read them today, first time I've done this on my own.
This is KOEO. First I got a 522, which I don't see on the code chart. For CM codes I got 332, 452, and 528.

332 is EGR related. From Brooklyn's code thread, "...if memory code, EGR did not open intermittently - EVR or PFE." What is this telling me? What is EVR and PFE?

452 is a vehicle speed sensor problem, but I dont think that matters with my truck.

528 says "system shows voltage at pin 10 (is A/C on?) or pin 30 (PNP, CPP switch) -PNP. What's PNP and CPP?

For background, haven't had a check engine light in forever, until last week when I filled up at Costco. (I always only get gas at Costco). Within minutes I had a cel, intermittently, and it got more frequent over the next week, until now it's on more than it's off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This chart might help.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/34996350/Ford-OBD1-Codes-and-Procedure

the 522 code means the vehicle wasn't in park when self test started.
528 is a clutch switch code
Then the vss code makes me believe it is all related/

I wonder if this isn't as simple as a blown fuse, or wire harness connection issue. You might check to see if the transmission harness has come loose and bumped into the exhuast.

Well it's a manual trans, so yeah, it wasn't in park. ;) and I've had the clutch defeat switch zip tied for years, so that explains the 528.
I'm thinking the EGR code is the one I'm getting while driving.

I'm going to guess you are getting your codes from a code reader...

...If you are I would try the paperclip method as it will give you the exact code...I have had several codes that were wrong from OBDI code readers and found the paperclip takes all the guesswork out..:D

If it is your EGR tube you can clean them unless they are ate up by rust, soil, and soot. :hammer:

Paper clip method!
332 seems like an exact code, and I ran the test twice to be sure I read it correctly. I did not yet run a KOER test, however.
My Haynes lists 332 as insufficient EGR flow detected. The cel while driving comes on and off and on and off, so I take that to mean it's intermittent. With the 332 definition in my first post, and some searching of our forum, it leads me to think its the DPFE.
This thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/94-explorer-codes-332-565.288853/ and this one http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/code-332-insufficient-egr-flow.436669/
Iron weasel's troubleshoot routine seems valid. I need to go take a close look at my DPFE.
Does this line of reasoning seem correct, or should I focus on the EGR valve or tube?

Thanks Ted and Turdle for help so far!

So just to update this for any future searchers, the check engine light became much more frequent, it was on most of the time. I had lots of marble/popcorn sound from the engine under even the slightest load, and a slight drop in mpg.
Based on info from the two threads I linked above, I went ahead and ordered a new DPFE sensor and hoses. The DPFE I got was the Airtex/Wells from Rockauto #5S2046.
Super easy install and have not had any more check engine light.

That's Awesome :salute:

Back