Need some idler pulley help, 4.0 OHV | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need some idler pulley help, 4.0 OHV

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
This is on my 93 Ranger. I had a high squeal coming from the front for a week, then yesterday is got worse then stopped instantly. Today I check my engine pulleys and see that the idler is pretty frozen. It will turn with lots of effort.
I pulled the idler off my parts truck, 95 Ranger 4.0 OHV, and it's a smaller diameter, 3 9/16" vs 4" on the 93.
Question: can I run the smaller pulley? Then I could try to find a new bearing for the larger pulley, or a new pulley.
Or, can I bang out the bearing from the smaller pulley and use it in the larger pulley? It is in great condition, and I'm anticipating not being able to find a new bearing or pulley on this island. The bearings have almost the same parts number, 6203RS vs 6203LU.
Any help appreciated!

image.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Change out the bearing. As long as it's the same size that will fix you up.

Kinda afraid of ruining it. I would have to use a large socket and a small sledge, I have no press or vise. Would that do the job?
If I could run the smaller one, I can get to the parts store, I checked and they do have a new pulley for $24...
I was gonna test fit it and see how tight the belt is. Bad idea?

The only issue with the smaller pulley is the bearing is going to spin faster AND you may need a different sized belt. The belt issue is no biggie.. you just find what fits.. It's the same thing you run into if you change to smaller pulley on the alternator (which I did to get more amperage at idle)...

As for the bearing spinning faster.. Since that's still a factory pulley size (although not for you truck)I wouldn't worry about it.

~Mark

Thanks Mark.
I ended up installing the smaller pulley for now. I don't notice real difference in the tightness of the belt. I did pick up the new replacement, and funnily, they carried both diameters. I got the larger size, and will swap it on tomorrow.

Back