Need the size of the top screw holding the AC accumulator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need the size of the top screw holding the AC accumulator

MyExplorer03v8Lim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.6L
screw is missing, and none of the ones I have kicking around match it. Can anyone help me id the size of the screw that holds the top of the AC accumulator in place? I can't eyeball it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The original accumulator should have had a threaded post in there, with a nut (not sure of pitch, but think it was 14mm socket for the nut). This on an '02 XLS 4.0 SOHC.

The original accumulator should have had a threaded post in there, with a nut (not sure of pitch, but think it was 14mm socket for the nut). This on an '02 XLS 4.0 SOHC.

Thanks a million!

Savages who swapped my engine. I just keep finding stuff missing. Looks like I'm off to the junk yard!

Can anyone tell me, is the AC accumulator mounted in the same place on the 4.0 and the 4.6, or at least will this stud be the same? I have a junkyard run in my future, but they never have any V8s

Wrong dude. I went to the junkyard today, and both the 4.0 and the 4.6 use a long screw with a wide washer attached to the base of the head. The screw holds the accumulator on place by pressing against a metal sleeve inside the bushing.

Not that anyone will ever find this thread or care, but I thought it was useful to get the correct info out there.

Also, the junk yard just let me walk out with it for free, which was 10000x easier than sourcing one at a hardware store.

Thanks--I had installed an aftermarket accumulator, which might explain the discrepancy.

Thanks--I had installed an aftermarket accumulator, which might explain the discrepancy.

Ha! No problemo. This was a really low-effort post on my end anyway.

Back