Dismiss Notice

and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Need Wiring Diagram - 97 Eddie Bauer w/ JBL Trying to bypass amp!

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by 97 Eddie Bauer v8, April 3, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 97 Eddie Bauer v8

97 Eddie Bauer v8 Active Member

City, State:
      Reading Pennsylvania
      Year and Model:
      97 Eddie Bauer
      Can anyone give me information as to what wires, coming off/from the factory amp, go to which speaker? Wiring colors would be great. I'm trying to bypass the amp so I can hear sound with my aftermarket head unit (Eclipse 7301) and any info would help. I realize they make harnesses and all for this, but this is just in case the harness isn't what I need since I have a good feeling it might not be (everything for me goes wrong)

Thanks!
      Chris

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Mike 92 XLT

Mike 92 XLT Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Manhattan Beach, CA
      Year and Model:
      Expensive German Stuff
      Did you talk to Peripheral like I suggested?? You should be able to use the factory JBL amps with you new head unit. Otherwise, check out a Chilton or Haynes manual, If you don't want to buy one, your local library should have the Chilton manual.

peace

Mike

4. cobrajeff

cobrajeff Elite Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Daytona, FL
      Year and Model:
      2007 Lincoln MKX
      With the '97 Ford/JBL system in your Explorer, you need to do more than just "bypass the amp". The tuner and all of the "guts" that would normally be in a head unit are contained in the RCU (Rear Control Unit) located in the rear quarter trim. That's why your antenna lead goes back there. This is NOT a simple amp "bypass" like you could do on a '92-'94 Explorer JBL system.

You may as well start from scratch, right at your new head unit, and run the wires directly to an aftermarket amp, and then to your speakers.

Good luck,

Jeff

5. wakebdr2002

wakebdr2002 New Member

City, State:
      Louisiana
      Year and Model:
      2001 Sport
      you should be able to buy a 12 dollar harness that allows you to connect aftermarket HU to factory amp. If you dont want to do this, the easiest thing to do is rewire the whole car.