*new* 2014 order guide new colours | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

*new* 2014 order guide new colours

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did I read that correctly? Are they offering the 2nd Row Console as an option for the 2014 Sport? blarggg.

That's correct.

The console with buckets would be nice but you may as well just order the bench. I like mine open so you can easily access the 3rd row.

Did I read that correctly? Are they offering the 2nd Row Console as an option for the 2014 Sport? blarggg.
That is what it looks like. No HID lamps though. And as Riley said, no Ecoboost in the Limited.

Peter

The console with buckets would be nice but you may as well just order the bench. I like mine open so you can easily access the 3rd row.

That may work well for your needs, but I wouldn't give up my console/buckets combo for the bench for one second....I can also slide my buckets independently whereas you cannot with the bench. To each his own!

Thanks for posting the document!

I see that the 365/350 engine is indeed now on the Sport. They are obviously trying to compete with the Chrysler offerings (Durango, Grand Cherokee), but lack the 8-speed transmission and superior rear wheel drive design which those vehicles offer. Of course, for those of us who drive far more than the average miles epr year, or who tow, the 2014 Grand Cherokee also offers a proven diesel engine.

I also see mention of the Sport with the 401 group as being a "Sport Plus," and they expect just 2% of Explorers to be Sports with the 401 package.

It was an option previously. In my case, I would not want the console, as I need to carry items which will not fit corsswise in back, and do not want to fold down the second row. I'm happy it is an option, as that means I would not have to unbolt it, and possible have holes in the carpet.

It was an option previously. In my case, I would not want the console, as I need to carry items which will not fit corsswise in back, and do not want to fold down the second row. I'm happy it is an option, as that means I would not have to unbolt it, and possible have holes in the carpet.

It was NOT an option previously on the SPORT model, only on the non-sport models.

I see that the 365/350 engine is indeed now on the Sport. They are obviously trying to compete with the Chrysler offerings (Durango, Grand Cherokee), but lack the 8-speed transmission and superior rear wheel drive design which those vehicles offer. Of course, for those of us who drive far more than the average miles epr year, or who tow, the 2014 Grand Cherokee also offers a proven diesel engine.

I also see mention of the Sport with the 401 group as being a "Sport Plus," and they expect just 2% of Explorers to be Sports with the 401 package.

The 365 Ecoboost has been the only Sport engine. The 8 speed tanny would be nice but I don't think the majority of the new gen Explorer owners care about rear wheel drive. I want the AWD it offers. If I were serious about getting the Sport, I'd get the 401 package.

Peter

The 365 Ecoboost has been the only Sport engine. The 8 speed tanny would be nice but I don't think the majority of the new gen Explorer owners care about rear wheel drive. I want the AWD it offers. If I were serious about getting the Sport, I'd get the 401 package.

Peter
Perhaps most do not care about rear wheel drive, but that only means they do not know the difference. Front wheel drive, or front-based AWD, is just not as good. Notice that all of the best cars (Ferarri, Rolls-Royce, Mercedes-Benz, Maseratti, BMW, Jaguar, Aston-Martin, and even the big Hyundai Equus and the Cadillac CTS) are rear wheel drive, or rear-based AWD. There is a reason - it is the best design.

I've owned both front and rear wheel drive vehicles. If I buy a 2014 Explorer, I would consider it a step backwards from the 2006 Explorer V8 rear wheel drive I now have, so I'm leaning to keeping the 2006 Explorer, or replacing it with a Durango. The 2014 Explorer and 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Long wheelbase are still on the list, as I have to see and drive the vehicles vehicle to make a decision on the total package each offers.

Perhaps most do not care about rear wheel drive, but that only means they do not know the difference. Front wheel drive, or front-based AWD, is just not as good. Notice that all of the best cars (Ferarri, Rolls-Royce, Mercedes-Benz, Maseratti, BMW, Jaguar, Aston-Martin, and even the big Hyundai Equus and the Cadillac CTS) are rear wheel drive, or rear-based AWD. There is a reason - it is the best design.

I've owned both front and rear wheel drive vehicles. If I buy a 2014 Explorer, I would consider it a step backwards from the 2006 Explorer V8 rear wheel drive I now have, so I'm leaning to keeping the 2006 Explorer, or replacing it with a Durango. The 2014 Explorer and 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Long wheelbase are still on the list, as I have to see and drive the vehicles vehicle to make a decision on the total package each offers.

Best design? I guess it depends on the application, no?

I've been driving for 50 years, RWD, FWD, AWD and I'm happy very with the Explorer.
Both FWD and RWD have their good and bad points and many of the those 'best cars' you refer to are coming out with or have had AWD on many of their models.
I saw an ad on TV for the 2014 KIA Sorento last night and must admit it is a nice looking vehicle, in my opinion. I think I would take it over the Hyundai.
In any case, good luck with your search. I hope you'll find the vehicle you are looking for.:thumbsup:

Peter

Are we really going to keep beating the FWD BIAS AWD thing to death? All I get out of your above comment is that the 2011+ Explorer is not for you, so don't buy one. What does this have to do w/ the thread topic?

You can't qualify "best cars"... cars are best to the people that buy them for the reasons they are bought. What may be best for you isn't best for me. What may be best for me may be the worst for you. If you can't live w/ a FWD BIASED or FWD vehicle, then don't purchase one, the "new" Explorer is directed at a target audience, sales figures show that it was a good move for Ford.

More 2011 FWD Explorers were sold than units sold of your 2006 V8 RWD, so how can you say that it is a step backward from your 2006? Obviously more people are interested in the new design and drivetrain. Just because you're not doesn't make it inferior. For freeway driving, city driving, and occasional light snow (my driving patterns), I prefer FWD BIAS as it seems the weight over the drive wheels leads to better traction for me. I've driven both RWD and FWD vehicles and for my patterns, the Explorer is a much better suited ride.

Where can we find what the new colors on the 2014 Explorer look like? When will Ford post pics of the new ones? Looked up past colors on Ford's and no such names or codes.

Where can we find what the new colors on the 2014 Explorer look like? When will Ford post pics of the new ones? Looked up past colors on Ford's and no such names or codes.
I doubt you will see anything on the Ford website on the 2014 until the orders for the 2013 models close. I believe that is April 1st or 2nd. The 2014 can be ordered now but I believe you have to get the details for it, such as packages, colours etc. from the dealer.
I'm very curious to see those two new colours given their names.

Peter

Notice that all of the best cars (Ferarri, Rolls-Royce, Mercedes-Benz, Maseratti, BMW, Jaguar, Aston-Martin, and even the big Hyundai Equus and the Cadillac CTS) are rear wheel drive, or rear-based AWD. There is a reason - it is the best design.

If we're gonna turn a color/option thread into a "Superior Driveline" thread then how about more fact and less "The expensive cares have it so it must be good".

Oh and as to the rear wheel drive is "superior" comment, Audi and Subaru haven't gotten the memo yet so shoot them an email and let them know.

I think that ford is just changing the name to the color sunset d7, if you google the color you would see that its the color on the mustang 2013. Gm did the same when i bought the cadillac cts ltd they called it hot lava and it was the same color they used on the sunbird with a deferent name.

Hey Muffy. Did you know that all the best cars in the world are rear wheel drive..... Quick someone go get Chip and Dudley..... LOL. FStephenMasek walked into the wrong thread. LOL.

prep22.jpg

Really did you just say this? I have a 2013 Sport 402A package with the 3.5 Ecoboost...the 3.5 ecoboost you can only get in the Sport...and it is the only reason I bought an Explorer... I wouldnt buy a regular V6 one, because I like performance.

As far as RWD... every car I have owned has been RWD except the Explorer now and my Passat 1.8t. I don't give a rat's behind that it's FWD biased... because in certain modes of the terrain mangement system it will bias the rear wheels.

Hows that 06 Explorer working out for ya? Riding like a truck no?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Everything you said here is perception. You think the mid-20's soccer mom gives a crud about if a car is "RWD biased, FWD biased, AWD biased, Microsoft Flight biased, Delorean biased"????? You think the "average" Explorer buyer is going to be comparing the performance or handling of a $29k base SUV to a Jag, BMW, FERRARI!? I can't believe you through Ferrari in there... it's not even a comparison.

I tell you what, I'll line up my Sport, my crappy FWD biased Sport, to your "Eddie Bauer V8 RWD extra special Ferrari beater" Explorer... at any track.. on road, off road, drag strip, and we can see what will be a better performer. I'm talking any acceleration test, braking test, offroad test, beach sand test, ANYTHING. Let's put your RWD theory to the test.

Back