New 2017 Explorer Sport already getting replacement parts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 2017 Explorer Sport already getting replacement parts

goodys4me

Reaction score
City, State
danbury, ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
I haven't even taken delivery of the new white platinum 2017 Ford Explorer Sport that I placed a deposit on 2 weeks ago. Should I be worried? I'm starting to think twice. I found a 2017 Sport with the following options: 401A package, dual panel moonroof, adaptive cruise control, and rear bumper protector. I negotiated a price of
$49,611 (includes the destination fee of $945) with another $250 off for the 0% Ford Cash Back promo (not including taxes, plates, etc.)

A few weeks ago, I saw it in the dealer lot, but I couldn't test drive it at the time because it had just gotten off of the delivery truck and they had to do their inspection and safety check. I checked it inside and out and it looked good with the exception of some greasy fingerprints on the headliner. I went back in a few days later to take it for a test drive and noticed that the sill/scuff plate had a big dent in it and there was a nick on the tow hitch cover which wasn't there before. I put a deposit on the vehicle and they promised to replace the sill plate, the tow hitch cover and they'd clean off the fingerprints from the headliner. In addition, one of the dealer accessories was a bumper protector which they were going to install.

I went to take delivery of the vehicle last Thursday. The sill plate had been replaced, but wasn't very secure - there was a lot of play compared to the passenger side sill plate which was solid. The service manager agreed and said they'd replace it (again) because the tabs may have been broken when they installed the first replacement. The fingerprints were still on the headliner and the sales guy said they did they best they could to remove them, but it was tough because it's so hot out. Huh?? Then the POS bumper protector which was just a thin piece of vinyl looked like a DIY project. I could have done a better job. Air bubbles throughout and it wasn't put on very straight - it looked like crap. Finally, the nick on the tow hitch cover was still there. They said I could take the vehicle home and they'd let me know when the parts were in. I told them I wasn't taking anything home until the vehicle was in the condition I expected it to be in the first time.

I mean this vehicle had 4 miles on it and it's on its 3rd sill plate and 2nd tow hitch cover. I just got a text from the sales guy that said the sill plate should arrive today and they'll the vehicle ready by the end of the week. Am I being really nit-picky? We're now going into the 3rd week with this and I'm starting to lose interest. I don't know if I should just go to another dealer, but I think the price I got is pretty good. The sales guy said they had to go into their holdback, so I don't want to miss out on a good deal, but this dealership doesn't really seem to be making this a priority.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my honest opinion if you are spending $50K (or any amount of money) on a NEW car it should PERFECT when you take delivery of the car. I would not take the car home until you are completely satisfied with the condition of the car. Based on the issues you have had with the car with only 4 miles I would personally walk away from the deal and tell them to shove it. Find a new dealership that will make you a priority. As for the current price you paid for your 2017, based on the prices on Truecar.com for the specs you provided you actually overpaid by a couple of hundred dollars in your area.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely learning towards moving on to another dealership altogether. Appreciate your time.

Let them make the car perfect for you.

I had fingerprints on my sunroof cover fabric. Salesman got it out no problem with 10 minutes and a bottle of magic something-or-other. My driver side scuff-plate was also damaged--but replaced, and now perfect/solid.

You're not asking for too much at all. It's big money on a car that should be better than perfect. Hell, whether it's a Focus or a Lincoln MKC, it should be perfect regardless.

Sounds like this dealer hasn't given you one bit of trouble. They're fixing every issue without complaint... that's a dealer worth keeping.

Just my 2 cents--enjoy the ride.

Sounds like a crappy dealership.

I agree with thefranchise713. Don't make a hasty decision. It sounds like the possible damage caused by the dealership might have been the nick in the hitch cover. The other issues were likely due to the delivery or from the factory. As for the bumper cover, there are better 'aftermarket' ones that actually cover the lip of the bumper.
You may not want take it home right now but it would be a good time to give it a test drive.
Good luck.

Peter

Glad to see you're taking a stance and refusing delivery. They're more motivated to fix it faster to complete the sale.

had finger prints on my 2016 Platinum headliner when i reviewed prior to purchasing a week later.dealer cleaned up..............I also got that for $48K b4 TTL.

Do not leave the lot with the car unless you are happy, once you leave with it, game over.

I haven't even taken delivery of the new white platinum 2017 Ford Explorer Sport that I placed a deposit on 2 weeks ago. Should I be worried? I'm starting to think twice. I found a 2017 Sport with the following options: 401A package, dual panel moonroof, adaptive cruise control, and rear bumper protector. I negotiated a price of
$49,611 (includes the destination fee of $945) with another $250 off for the 0% Ford Cash Back promo (not including taxes, plates, etc.)

A few weeks ago, I saw it in the dealer lot, but I couldn't test drive it at the time because it had just gotten off of the delivery truck and they had to do their inspection and safety check. I checked it inside and out and it looked good with the exception of some greasy fingerprints on the headliner. I went back in a few days later to take it for a test drive and noticed that the sill/scuff plate had a big dent in it and there was a nick on the tow hitch cover which wasn't there before. I put a deposit on the vehicle and they promised to replace the sill plate, the tow hitch cover and they'd clean off the fingerprints from the headliner. In addition, one of the dealer accessories was a bumper protector which they were going to install.

I went to take delivery of the vehicle last Thursday. The sill plate had been replaced, but wasn't very secure - there was a lot of play compared to the passenger side sill plate which was solid. The service manager agreed and said they'd replace it (again) because the tabs may have been broken when they installed the first replacement. The fingerprints were still on the headliner and the sales guy said they did they best they could to remove them, but it was tough because it's so hot out. Huh?? Then the POS bumper protector which was just a thin piece of vinyl looked like a DIY project. I could have done a better job. Air bubbles throughout and it wasn't put on very straight - it looked like crap. Finally, the nick on the tow hitch cover was still there. They said I could take the vehicle home and they'd let me know when the parts were in. I told them I wasn't taking anything home until the vehicle was in the condition I expected it to be in the first time.

I mean this vehicle had 4 miles on it and it's on its 3rd sill plate and 2nd tow hitch cover. I just got a text from the sales guy that said the sill plate should arrive today and they'll the vehicle ready by the end of the week. Am I being really nit-picky? We're now going into the 3rd week with this and I'm starting to lose interest. I don't know if I should just go to another dealer, but I think the price I got is pretty good. The sales guy said they had to go into their holdback, so I don't want to miss out on a good deal, but this dealership doesn't really seem to be making this a priority.

picked up same car with MSRP of 53 for 46, great trade in value, 1.9 fin and got a set black factory wheels in exchange for the sport wheels

All the problems are dealer inflicted. I'd find a different dealer.

As to the bubbles in the bumper protector - I had some in mine when I put it on. I'm pretty good at that stuff, but you get one shot. I worked the worst of them out and the little ones were insignificant to me.

Go with Peter's suggestion for the bumper cover. I got one for my '15 Ex LTD, and they look good and do the proper job. Pricey, but the end result is worth it. BTW, I got one of the Ford protectors and was very unhappy with it. It hit the trash can when the rubber one came in. I don't recall the thread with the link for the rubber protector. More than likely, Peter can help with that.

I have not had any luck finding a Ford dealer worth their salt. It's like they don't exist.

I have not had any luck finding a Ford dealer worth their salt. It's like they don't exist.
I have one. Have been dealing with them for 6 years now since I left Toyota. Great staff and service. In fact I've never had any issues with any dealership I've dealt with.

Peter

Back