• Register Today It's free!

New Alabama Public Off Road Park

Chris4x4Gill2

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL 4x4
I know many of you arent from this area but if you have any input please send this form in. The big selling point is they want to make it nice enough to draw out of town visitors. This is going to be located in Cullman Alabama. This is a few exits from where I work.

There is a proposal for a new ORV park in Cullman. Right at Dodge City near where we use to ride. They have had several meeting on it already but they are asking for input. I attached a form they are asking people to fill out. Take a minute to read this and then fill it out and send it in. Maybe we can get it set up like we will actually like instead of like Bankhead.

this was in the Cullman Times recently:

Some area residents look forward to proposed park
By Evan Belanger

Area residents are excited about the possibility of a new all-terrain vehicle park in Cullman County.

The reaction came Tuesday after Gov. Bob Riley's official announcement Cullman County is receiving a $469,000 grant for the park to be located near Dodge City.

The grant, which comes from the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs, will be used to purchase an extra 323 acres of land for the park near Dodge City.

The county already owns 168 acres there. According to Associate Commissioner Doug Williams, who has been working on the project for more than two years, final plans for the park will include ATV trails, truck trails, horse trails and mountain bike trails.

He said the goal is to create a 1,000-acre park to attract tourists to Cullman County.

According to the governor's press release, the county has pledged at least $117,250 for the project.

"This park will provide four-wheeler enthusiasts a safe place to ride, while also protecting private property owners," Riley said. "I'm pleased to support this local effort to improve recreational opportunities in Cullman County."

Reaction from local ATV enthusiasts was very positive following the announcement. According to Frank Arnold, who works at The Sport Center, which sells ATVs in Cullman, the park will provide one of the first local places for riders and attract new visitors to the Cullman area.

"I just drove to another state to go four-wheeling, so yeah, I definitely think it's worth it, and I'll support it in anyway I can," he said.

Arnold recently went on a trip to Cold Creek, an ATV park near Knoxville, Tenn.

He added that pollution and noise were not as large concerns as they used to be, because most new ATVs already meet 2008 emissions standards and have quieter mufflers.

A customer in The Sports Center Tuesday, Lee Wagner, said he liked that the park would offer space for four-wheel-drive trucks as well.

"Most of the places that are good to go mudding around here, you get in trouble just for being there," he said.

According to Joe Quattlebaum, part owner of The Sports Center, the park is huge step forward for the county and the state.

"I think they're going for a Trent Jones effect across the whole state," he said, referring to Alabama's well-known golf attraction, the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail. "We're really excited about the possibility for everyone."

Reactions were more reserved from property owners near the proposed location for the park.

Waymon Montgomery farms 300 acres of land directly adjacent to the location. After hearing the news, he said he had concerns of the liability aspect of park.

Montgomery said he feared patrons of the park coming onto his land and causing property damage or hurting themselves and suing him.

"As long as they put a fence up though, I don't have a problem with it," he said.

Montgomery added that noise should not be a problem since there were almost no residences in the area.

"I have a lot less of a problem with them putting an ATV park there than I did with them putting the dump there," he said.

Part of the proposed location of the park is on the county's old landfill site, which has been closed down for several years, according to Williams.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Add one more to the list I live in auburn, al.

Stoney Lonesome Off Road Park opened a few years ago. The park has a good selection of trails, most diffi@ult terrain are hill climbs. Trails are well marked for what type vehicle they will accomodate. Last i went, they were opening another section with new trails.

Good to know. That's within weekend driving distance for me. Day trip from my parents. Thanks.

I'll have to look this up next time I'm up that way... Or at least at my house in Georgia, just gotta figure out how far it is lol plus I need to get my 4 wheel drive finished.

EDIT I guess this would be a weekend trip for me if I was to check it out. 6 hour ride to my house in LaGrange Georgia. Then another 3 1/2 hour drive to Dodge city from LaGrange.

Back