New car fuel quality and quantity from Ford? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New car fuel quality and quantity from Ford?

Centaurus5.0

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96'
After reading about a new member from overseas purchasing a new truck, it brought up questions about the initial fuel fill at the factory or dealer.

Just for example:

New 2017 with 250miles. Built in April 17'. Just about the take delivery now.

How much fuel do they put in at the factory? What grade? Are the dealers supposed to top them off? Suppose they filled the tank up with 87 octane and then the fuel sat in the tank degrading for a full year. Couldn't this possibly ruin a new turbocharged motor?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am sure that there are vehicle that sit on dealer lots all the time for extended periods but I very much doubt they have a full tank of gas. Usually the factory will put in a very minimal amount and the dealer won't fill it up until the vehicle is sold. Since the recommended octane is 87, then I am quite sure that is what is put in. I have no idea what effect this 'old' gas would have on the turbo chargers but would guess it would be very minimal if any at all.

Peter

Funny, it's a really big deal for small engines that sit 1/2 the year. Fuel quality is even more important in boosted engine. Ethanol mixed fuels degrade even faster than ethanol-free fuels.

Thought you could shut this question down with a simple "don't worry about it", did ya?

I know gm puts about enough gas to turn the low fuel indicator light off . Same as Kia and Hyundai. I would just assume all are the same. Even when I've taken cars in for service and taken.new cars off the lot for a test drive they had a range of like 65 miles left...

The vehicle in question has 250 miles on it. It has been filled up at least once before. Never titled.

The vehicle in question has 250 miles on it. It has been filled up at least once before. Never titled.
Likely all test drives with minimal fillups. If that is the case, then don't worry about.:)

Peter

250 miles for a factory test drive? Vehicle is an Export meaning it would have never sat on a lot to be test driven by potential customers. It's been sitting in a parking lot in Chicago for an entire year. Winter, spring, summer and fall.

Funny, it's a really big deal for small engines that sit 1/2 the year. Fuel quality is even more important in boosted engine. Ethanol mixed fuels degrade even faster than ethanol-free fuels.

Thought you could shut this question down with a simple "don't worry about it", did ya?
The problem with “stale” gas in small engines, e.g. lawnmower or snow blower is caused by the fact that the ethanol in the gas easily absorbs moisture in the air that gets in the system because these systems don’t have the best “seals”. Especially with Ford’s capless system, and with an automobile’s better fuel system in general than a small engine’s, it’s not likely at all that the major contaminant of gas will ever get in the system. In short, I would not be concerned in the least about “old” gas in a vehicle that’s been on the lot for a year

250 miles for a factory test drive? Vehicle is an Export meaning it would have never sat on a lot to be test driven by potential customers. It's been sitting in a parking lot in Chicago for an entire year. Winter, spring, summer and fall.
If you are referring to http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/very-rare-limited.470581/ that would have been very helpful info to have had/mentioned. Nothing was said about it being an Export or that it was sitting at the Chicago factory lot. When you asked about "initial fuel fill at the factory or dealer." I guessed it was sitting at the dealer's lot waiting to be picked up for delivery to a new owner.

Peter

Yes, that is one facet of the ethanol problem. The other is driving a new high performance turbocharged engine on something less (perhaps even way less) than 87 octane.

Are new cars impervious to detonation?

Okay. So now you know. What has changed?
Actually, nothing really except that part about the test drives. It is possible that models designated for Export get more extensive testing at the factory because their destination country may not always have easily accessible dealers or parts. They may also be driven more once off the truck than one delivered to a dealer. The one in question is sitting on a government dock and that likely would account for a few more miles than taking it off the deliver y truck and driving a minute or two to put it on a dealer lot. I would agree with Ptgilbert5 that there shouldn't be anything to worry about. Who knows, they may even add a fuel stabilizer.

Peter

Simple answer. Ford puts in a couple gallons of gas at the factory. They put in whatever is recommended which is 87 Octane. The dealership is responsible for filling the tank up to the top as you are charged it in the price of the vehicle.

All bets are off if the dealer will fill it overseas. In the US we get the first tank of gas included in the cost. Over seas I am not sure if they do that or not. If it has 250 miles on it most likely it had a least one tank of 87 in it from the US. It might have sat on a dock and was moved around according to needs of the dock areas. With all that said I have left my Shelby with half a tank of 93 octane in it for 6 months at a time with no ill effects. I take it slow and easy until the second complete fill up. No racing it until the second tank is almost gone. Most likely the amount of gas left in the tank will not be enough to contaminate a fill up. If you are worried about it take it slow for two tanks then enjoy.

The computer will sense the fuel quality and adjust timing accordingly.

Of coarse the guy with a GT500 understands! :thumbsup:

So, pretty much every post answered most(all?) of your questions, but "the guy with the GT500" is the only one who understands? Or am I misreading your posts?

There are prepper and survivalist forums you can go browse and get an idea on just how long fuel can remain viable. There are reports of people using gas that was 4-5 years old without issue in vehicles and power equipment. I personally wouldn't recommend making a regular habit of using fuel that is old, but I wouldn't worry about using what was in a vehicle if it was able to start and run fine and then replace it with newer at the first opportunity.

I store 50 gallons of gas in mil-spec jerry cans for emergencies and usually rotate it annually. I've had a few cans go 2+ years and not had any problems using it in whatever vehicle I was driving at the time.

I've also had vehicles and power equipment sit for a year or longer and not had any issues with putting them back into service with the gas that was in them all that time.

As far as the car the OP is asking about, I wouldn't worry about the fuel that is in it. Just fill it with fresh gas at the earliest convenience and don't look back.

I hope everyone has access to pure gas where they are. It costs about 25-30 cents more per gallon from a gas station near my home.

I hate to leave any vehicle undriven for long with alcohol fuel in it. I've had my share of bad gas from not being driven for 2+ years. It's not fun to drop the tank, and in my Mercury it ruined the tank. Since that happened, I try very hard to only use pure gas in my rarely used vehicles. Pure gas has been known to work fine for countless years, that is, gasoline from 20-30 years ago, before the mandated corn additives.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't understand the issue...? If you're worried about the gas, then just find a way to drain the gas and put in fresh gas and be done with it. Can't do it yourself? Go to the dealer. It looks like you got your question answered in the very first reply. Maybe asking how to resolve the bad gas issue would be a better question.

If you're going to ask a question, and get decent answers and not don't like them, and then get an answer you want to hear and already know about, and like that one, then what was the whole point of asking the question?

Back