Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
Over the last few months I have been gathering parts for my performance build. I have bought a new 4.0L short block, 422 cam, and a M90 supercharger. I also got a complete sohc 4.0L off craigslist for $100. The plan is to take the rotating assembly out of the sohc block and put it into the ohv block. I will get a set of aftermarket 90tm heads. The flat top pistons will increase the compression ratio to just under 10:1. The heads will get larger valves and 1.8 roller rockers. I'm not sure on the exhaust, I will end up having to make something. I have a T56 transmission I am going to install in the van with this engine. This will be my build thread, I will post progress photos here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice one, I wish I was more positive cash flow,I have big plans many ideas. I wish you the best. I'm counting the days for my welder. Last week Eastwood said it was shipping FedEx wed then Thur,fri, still no tracking number. There banging me $55 fedex from Las Vegas to Las Vegas. I can't pick it up. So I'm like a kid 1 day before Christmas.

are we sure the sohc engine won't fit in the aerostar?

By sohc engine are we talking about v8. Because I have seen on utube v8 rangers and there's v8 explorers. And for you young pups. I had a 1962 Ford falcon 100 van with a 140 ci straight six.and I put a 289 in it. Just by enlarging the dog house if the rwd van has a cross member that holds the motor mounts. I've taken off the mini dog house and looked under the van there's room for a 302. Just enlarge the opening if needed. But I might be easer going from the bottom.

are we sure the sohc engine won't fit in the aerostar?
21 inches wide to the edge of the heads, same width as a 302. I scored a factory new sohc 4.0l long block with all the gaskets for 1k. It is going in the xr4ti. The cheap Craigslist engine was supposed to be a good runner but with 170k miles and all the accessories missing a junk yard won't sell with the engine tells me it has timing chain issues. It would be easier to stuff a 302 in than a sohc, my goal is to make everything fit without any body work.

Today I started to strip the sohc block to get the parts I want off of it. Timing chain guides are broken and it has weak compression. The motor does not want to come apart easy, I will have to cut the timing chains cause the bolts won't come out of the sprocket on the cam and I can't get enough tension off the chain to get the cam out. I'll have it torn down tomorrow and I'll post some pictures.

Flat tops and 90tm will not give you under 10:1 i dont know where you got that

90tm pistons are -17.5cc dished and 90tm heads are 60cc that combo gives you like 9:1 if you remove 17.5cc from the pistons and run flat tops your right at 11:1

sohc flat tops and 90tm heads 11:1...

sohc flats tops and 95tm heads give you basically 12:1......

90tm heads and 95tm pistons give you 8:1

95tm heads and 90tm pistons give you 10:1

1gen pistons ...2nd gen....sohc
-17.5cc. -23.3cc. 0.0cc
Heads 95tm. 90tm
48cc. 60cc
stroke
bore 3.948
felpro headgasket
.050 compressed is around .035 to .040

Flat tops and 90tm will not give you under 10:1 i dont know where you got that

90tm pistons are -17.5cc dished and 90tm heads are 60cc that combo gives you like 9:1 if you remove 17.5cc from the pistons and run flat tops your right at 11:1

sohc flat tops and 90tm heads 11:1...

sohc flats tops and 95tm heads give you basically 12:1......

90tm heads and 95tm pistons give you 8:1

95tm heads and 90tm pistons give you 10:1

1gen pistons ...2nd gen....sohc
-17.5cc. -23.3cc. 0.0cc
Heads 95tm. 90tm
48cc. 60cc
stroke
bore 3.948
felpro headgasket
.050 compressed is around .035 to .040
Thx for the correction, with the 422 cam that gives a dcr of 8.43 with the flat tops and 90tm style heads.

Back