New Ford Explorer Sport: Fuel-Efficient, High-Performance SUV | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Ford Explorer Sport: Fuel-Efficient, High-Performance SUV

Come on now, 200 crayons? Dont be knockin us down that were only able to grow up on the 56 crayon box....

This vehicle is going to be way overpriced and underappreciate as it drives off the lot. If you enjoy signing away $15k go for it!! On the other hand, you are absolutely correct, if you can afford it and dont mind losing a ton of money than that is your option! I certainly didnt think I was ever going to recoup the $25k+ sticker price of a 95 Sport special ordered. Didnt really care, and still dont. Never planned on keeping it over 4 years, who knew this would be my favorite vehicle I have ever owned!

Here I go riding the fence again.... Regardless I think this is a sharp looking Explorer and hopefully it will do well. Ford has come out with alot of good things lately, IMHO.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here I go riding the fence again.... Regardless I think this is a sharp looking Explorer and hopefully it will do well. Ford has come out with alot of good things lately, IMHO.
Totally agree with ya there, I'm kinda on the fence as well.

I think these new Ex's are a letdown coming from what used to be a very capable and awesome vehicle and it may not mean much coming from me, but I don't think I've seen too many vehicles that can do double duty as a soccer-mom mobile or a rock crawler as easily or awesome as Explorers. Explorers are incredible, but like someone said before, this is how things are going unfortunately. Sad, but true and there's nothing we can do about it.

I am glad to see an ATTEMPT (I know I'll be flamed for this) at doing something with the Explorer. Not saying it's awesome or a killer or everything's alright, but its something, as sad as it may be. And I'm starting to sort've like these 5th gens, maybe not as Explorers, but as vehicles they are pretty sweet and this Sport model is kinda cool to me. I'd definitely drive it. Maybe this sporty (and I use that term loosely) version means something that Ford might be trying to go towards enthusiasts or die-hard fans of stuff. They still may have miles and miles to go before getting to them, but in a world of oversized bloated disgusting SUV/CUVs nowadays this is alright to me. Maybe they will start targeting other groups now and make something like the Bronco all over again.

Just my opinion though...:help:

I was thinking about this today and I believe I finally realized why some of you don't like the 5th gen. It's not that you are mad with it stock off-road capabilty because stock for stock, I feel it will go just about everywhere previous gens will go. I believe you're upset with its lack of future mod potential for off-road. If so, I can understand that and I'm not saying thats a bad thing.

Now calling some of us haters because we won't buy new is funny. I have no problem being a second or third owner because I do have a problem losing a lot of money. If you don't have a problem with that, that's fine with me.

As mentioned, Ford is on a roll and I'm looking forward to what the future holds!

I dont buy other pepole's headache ! That is why i buy new it has warrenty used are ok if that what you like, so from the millons of explorer that have been sold since the start how many went off road ? And going over a sidewalk is not off road. Pepole want style comfort gadgets etc... Not montain climmers, so again i dont want to offend no one but times as changed their is no more woodstock no more bell bottoms no more of that oldie good music etc..... So lets move on 2012 21 century !!!! Buy used fix it at your expense, buy new fix it at there cost and drive new !!!!

I dont buy other pepole's headache ! That is why i buy new it has warrenty used are ok if that what you like, so from the millons of explorer that have been sold since the start how many went off road ? And going over a sidewalk is not off road. Pepole want style comfort gadgets etc... Not montain climmers, so again i dont want to offend no one but times as changed their is no more woodstock no more bell bottoms no more of that oldie good music etc..... So lets move on 2012 21 century !!!! Buy used fix it at your expense, buy new fix it at there cost and drive new !!!!

We bought a 2010 Milan with 22,000 miles on it that came with Fords 3yr/36,000 mile original warranty and as a part of the deal it now has a 7yr/100,000 mile warranty. We paid $10,000 less than the First owner for the same car and it will last us for the next 5-6 years before we change up:D

I can see how buying used can be a headach, but if you have a warranty, what's the difference between a new one besides saving a few dollars when you purchase it(used)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWPORTNJ View Post

Seriously? Yeah, all I care about is if it looks good, and if it talks to me. :rolleyes:

If someone loves their vehicle so much when they purchase it new, baby it, take care of it, then after a few years they trade it in on another new vehicle, the next owner just bought a headache? That's only true for someone that can give a crap about the vehicle they bought, and drive it into the ground with lack of maintenance done while in their possession.

Sorry if I can't take your opinion seriously. If you treat your vehicles like you care about your public perception of yourself (grammar, lack of respect for your elders), I can see why you think this way about used vehicles.

If someone loves their vehicle so much when they purchase it new, baby it, take care of it, then after a few years they trade it in on another new vehicle, the next owner just bought a headache?

That's the part you never know about though. You can look at all the tell-tale places for possible water damage, lack of maintenance, and generalized abuse (or lack thereof), but you never do know how well that car was treated.

But... this isn't a new vs. used thread, so let's get back to talking about the Explorer Sport :)

I think ExSport looks pretty cool. I do wish they had painted all the lowers. And have bigger tires. Is it just me that the tires look too small on most larger cars today, as if they just don't fill enough of the wheel well? Another owner in a different thread had his plastic painted white like the rest of the car, and while it looks great, the wheels looked tiny on it. I never realized how much that plastic along the wheel wells made the tires look bigger than they were.

Yup. Bigger tires would have been good. Funny, I think the 20's look smaller everytime I look at them. The first thing people say when they see it though is. Wow, Look at how big the tires are. Funny. 20" tire is a big tire.

I didn't like the look.. Limited looks better
And not to be compared with Sport version of Edge which looks really sporty and different

Need a part number for the sill plates from the sport, retro to limited, think it will look great, anyone?

I was thinking about this today and I believe I finally realized why some of you don't like the 5th gen. It's not that you are mad with it stock off-road capabilty because stock for stock, I feel it will go just about everywhere previous gens will go...

As Rick has tried to explain, it has no transfer case. Any stock/non-modified first or second gen Explorer will absolutely and completely outperform it offroad.

I've got an idea to make everyone happy. Does anyone want to try an Ecoboost swap into an earlier gen 4x4 Explorer? I'll provide mine as a donor vehicle. :D

I'll definetely trade mine in for this one!!!

I was thinking about this today and I believe I finally realized why some of you don't like the 5th gen. It's not that you are mad with it stock off-road capabilty because stock for stock, I feel it will go just about everywhere previous gens will go.

Want to test that out? We would love to have you, or any other 5th gen owner join us for some "Serious Explorations".:thumbsup:

Here's the 2000 Explorer Sport Trac that Ford brought to our Truck Haven 2000 run:

thaven_jackets.jpg

And the Sport Trac in action:

thaven_sprttraclift.jpg

We have had MANY stockers join us on our runs in Colorado, Utah, and California. I'm sure there have been some stockers on runs out East as well. We have specific "stocker runs" at many of our events. Keep an eye out for them:thumbsup:

This site really has nothing to gain from modified vehicles. We don't sell parts we "sell" "Serious Explorations"... Up until the 5th gen every Explorer model has been used by their owners in offroad situations. Maybe in time some of you will show us what they can do:thumbsup:

I do have to add this though, when the 3rd gen came out many of our members were very disappointed with the then new independent rear suspension. No one thought it could be modified. They were mistaken. Very shortly after the 3rd gens introduction they were being raced competitively in the Best in the Desert Series offroad races. I haven't seen any 5th gens used in desert racing as of yet...

DSCF3463.jpg

DSCF3468.jpg

Hahahaha,
Maybe Ford will bring a 5th Gen this year. I highly doubt it though. It would be interesting to see one jacked up with some bigger wheels on it. Maybe in a few years when the newness wears off some of them. Personally, there's no way in hell I'm taking my 50 + thousand explorer down a gully. Sorry dudes. Ford could do it though. Might have some trouble with the ground clearance and ripping stuff off the bottom of it. Totally different vehicles IMO. This one is an on roader. It got stuck in some sand at a car show for God's sake. LOL. Serioulsly doubting it Exploration ability.

a explorer 13 years newer than mine with a smaller engine and still the same lousy gas mileage.
my 2000 sport with a 4.0 liter ohv v-6 gets 15-16 city .you would think something newer would do better .sure theres alot more horsepower ,but who buys an explorer for its horsepower?

would i like to own one?

sure ,but not at those prices .

if they are getting 16 mpg city ,keep in mind they didnt drive that thing on nothing but a test track .expect lower real world numbers .

Exactly. You're better off grabbing a 3.7L Mustang for 22k getting better gas mileage and saving you 10-20k depending on what upgrades you get in the Explorer. That's if you're looking to go "fast". If you have a family to haul around that's a different story but even still all these SUVs today are over priced.

I have to say that after thinking about it a little, I really hope that Ford can let the EcoBoost engine be available on all trim levels. Having it only on a top of the line model does not make sense given the competition - namely the Jeep Grand Cherokee. In all reality, thins engine is on-par with the std. Hemi, which is avialable on almost all trim levels. If getting an new Explorer with decent power is goign to be even more overpriced, I may have to cross over and go with the Jeep...more capability/lower build quality tradeoff..but hey they do at least come with 6yr/100k PT warranty standard, so shouldn't have to worry about it much...
Ford does need at least one real SUV that is smaller than the Expedition, and doesn't need three different crossovers...

I have to say that after thinking about it a little, I really hope that Ford can let the EcoBoost engine be available on all trim levels. Having it only on a top of the line model does not make sense given the competition - namely the Jeep Grand Cherokee. In all reality, thins engine is on-par with the std. Hemi, which is avialable on almost all trim levels. If getting an new Explorer with decent power is goign to be even more overpriced, I may have to cross over and go with the Jeep...more capability/lower build quality tradeoff..but hey they do at least come with 6yr/100k PT warranty standard, so shouldn't have to worry about it much...
Ford does need at least one real SUV that is smaller than the Expedition, and doesn't need three different crossovers...

As nice as it would be to have it available throughout the lineup, it won't happen as most buyers do not care to have that much power. I can see Ford putting the 3.7 V6 in as the standard motor, with the I-4 as the option throughout the trim levels and the 3.5 EB staying at the top.

I really wanted to wait for the sport for the bigger engine, but I couldn't wait and picked up a loaded limited.

I'm glad I didn't wait. I would have given up too many options and probably would have gone with a limited anyway.

I love the darker gray color to which is not on option with the sport.

knocking who buys a new car, if you can't afford it well dont knock who can..... there is nothing like driveing a new car what ever make it is you buy what you like and what youn can afford....... thats that but dont knock some one that can buy it !!!!! i drink coke you drink pepsi thats why a box of crayons has more than 200 colors pick the one you like !!! sorry but just venting to al these play hater's

Yea, we buy new cars all the time. Put so many miles on them, that it makes sense. We drive them to about 100-130k miles and trade them off right about when they are paid off.

Don't mind car payments at all. I spend so much time in a car, I like a modern, new car. The key is not trading them off too soon and not getting upside down.

Right now, I'm having some minor buyers remorse (as I always do). We traded in a 2009 4-runner for a 2013 explorer. I miss some of the utility of the 4-runner already that I didn't really think about. Just the back window rolling down for the dog or to gain access while the bike rack is on and running boards make it much easier to load the cargo box etc. It was also faster.

But the ex has lots of other things that make up for it. I like all the technology, the rear bucket seats, the more sleek look of the exterior.

One thing I already don't like is it seems slow. My other car is a loaded maxima and I LOVE it. It's fast, looks great, drives great and is fast (or fast enough). My wife mostly drives the suv though.

I was basically down to a 2012 4-runner limited or an ex. So crossover vs suv. The 4-runner really lacks a lot the options the Ex has that make it a great car for long road trips and we travel a lot.

We shall see. I would like a faster engine and kind of miss the utility of a 4-runner. If they put a bigger engine in the limited I made trade it for that someday.

I have never owned a ford and never saw myself owning one. So far, I think the 2013 ex limited is a very high quality vehicle. No vehicle is perfect. Right now, It think this car is as close as you can get to having nearly every thing you need in a car. I'll let you know if a couple of years if I go back to a true SUV or need to get something with more power.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really wanted to wait for the sport for the bigger engine, but I couldn't wait and picked up a loaded limited.

I'm glad I didn't wait. I would have given up too many options and probably would have gone with a limited anyway.

I love the darker gray color to which is not on option with the sport.

What options would you have given up besides Sterling Silver? I was thinking since the Sport is the "top level" that it would come with features standard that are available as options for the other trim levels?

Back