New guy old builder album | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New guy old builder album

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Compound metal shaping

As usual, nice work. Reminds me of a sheet metal tool I would like to have...a shrinker stretcher for light guage metals.

Thanks, Woodward fabrications has an inexpensive shrinker ..less than $200. Course English wheel or planishing hammer = more$$ but can be great shop builds out of salvage steel + sweat and small $ investment. Of all the projects I have ever gotten involved in, including cars and trucks, building servicable tools is the most satisfying and rewarding of all. Oh yeah leather bag filled with shot and a small selection of quality hammers is not a bad way to shape metal and cost is negligible, gives hand made real meaning!

Unfinished business

Aluminum 3/16" diamondplate cap on rear gate, attached with pop rivets...will paint black. Course I wanted all three access points to be finished off in a similar manner and the bed cap was the weakest of the 3, since it was a 3 piece design and the doors only two sections: so the plate here was a structural necessity...just wanted it to look nice.

Attachments

• IMAG0002.JPG
    IMAG0002.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 381

Measuring up

Not sure why this even gets my attention but I pick up on comments both pro and con about the relative merits or uselessness of the 3 models of the Ford Bronco products. I have owned all 3 & don't understand why owners of one continue to diss the others. All are distinctly different and have their own personality and style...good qualities and negative manners. All 3 sold well and have remained popular over time. I have owned and driven more miles in various B2's than in the other models and have spent more time in 4x4 in the twos than either of the other models and I am convinced that it has been slammed mostly with little cause (though the TTB is a little quirky) and sometimes by those who have read a lot and driven them just a little if at all. I'm building and driving B2's by choice and it's not my second or third choice but my first. I could be driving an Early model in great shape for a lot less time and money than I have in my Broncobra project, just go out and buy it and I might do that if I spot the right one, but not because I think it's better..just cool and different. I'd still have B2's for play & my main daily driver...no pretensions I just like the Earlys and the bigs which are awesome for towing and hauling! Heck I like Jeeps and Toyotas too or most any other thing with wheels & don't have to knock 'em or drive them.
One more thing I'm not trying to build a poor mans Jeep or Early Bronco look alike...I like top down and doors off wheeling and V8 horsepower in my type of "trailing" I might even one day fold the wind screen, who knows? It wouldn't be that big a deal, but I wouldn't do it because I wanted some idiot to think it was a Early Bronc or a Jeep, Range Rover or Land Cruiser...they all had these features decades ago; it would just be another fun project that I would enjoy building and wheeling and that's really what it's about and not the "diss" and trash talk.

I appreciate your thoughts/feelings and share your sentiments. You can pretty much "diss" anything you want with the engine you have! You could put that thing in a Kia and it would be cool! I have always liked the early gen Bronco's too. "All" it takes is time, lots of money, and Serious Fab Skills to make something awesome like you have done. Too bad, all 3 of those things - I Dont Have...Heh Heh
Really enjoying reading thru your build, it inspires me but at the same time makes me realize my mods are childs play in comparison!

Tube doors

Worked on the drivers side suicide tube door today, was out of town yesterday so I'm already a day behind. Cut all the door tube and bent the tube gussets and notched them..trimmed everything and tacked the the frame and gussets in place. Ready for weld up tomorrow and need to fab another hinge bracket, clean every thing up and install. Like to get a workable door latch built & installed also, depends on customer work as usual it pays better and always comes first.
Found some racing mirrors that I had bought for a Shelby Mustang GT350, look a like, resto that I did for a customer several years back. The mirrors are reproductions and we found a pair of new OEM Raydots that we installed and I was left with the repros. Same mirror was used on the AC Cobras, well I'm thinking they might go on the Broncobra instead...won't hurt to give 'em a look see. Man they are really small and don't know if they are built well enough to take a pounding (the originals were super tough and you know that's true if you ever drove the real deal AC's or the 1965 or '66 Gt 350...they were hairy beasts of vehicles and would beat your kidneys into pudding on rough surfaces, so everything mounted to these cars had to be tough! Just have to find the perfect location to mount them. Bad thing is they are chrome, another bad thing is that when you are strapped into the harness you can't adjust a thing so the mirrors have to stay put or they are useless.

Last edited:

Broncobra, I'm late to this thread, and I read all the way through it.
I love your build, but one thing "bugs" me.
You have obvious insane fab skills, why haven't you replaced that store-bought "rollbar" with a something made out of a proper gauge steel?
I know it came with the BII when you got it, but still. Isn't that the type that they couldn't even legally call rollbar, they had to call it a lightbar?

:salute:

Bars

Broncobra, I'm late to this thread, and I read all the way through it.
I love your build, but one thing "bugs" me.
You have obvious insane fab skills, why haven't you replaced that store-bought "rollbar" with a something made out of a proper gauge steel?
I know it came with the BII when you got it, but still. Isn't that the type that they couldn't even legally call rollbar, they had to call it a lightbar?

:salute:
Thanks for your comments, I have enjoyed reading many of your posts even before joining this forum and appreciate your taking time to read through my build thread. I actually bought the bar and added them after I chopped the top. They were in a Toyota pickup that had rolled and they do show some wear from the experience & the lights were fubar'ed but they held the top off the kid's head & he survived. This is not a recommendation for manufactured bars, I don't know who made them, though I suspect it was Rhino. I had to fab custom mounts in order to fit the B2 bed. I thought I had a post of this but I bet it is only on my Car Domain site...Google Broncobra22 and it will lead to my build pages. Very heavy duty brackets that will be frame attached (welded) to the frame, but detachable by grade 8 bolts, all this to be done when I build my shock hoops as I want to cut the bed out for better access to that project.
I also have concerns abut the bars in another hard rollover and I really don't care for the look of all that chrome. As a metal fabricator by trade I tend to trust nothing that is or might be load bearing or load tested; especially when made from unknown material.
One of the reasons I trashed the plastic dash, besides just my dislike of plastic, was to make it simple to cage the wind screen or A column, from there it is an easy cage job to behind the B column and tie into the, God willing, soon to be built shock hoop cage. Until then I will just have to be careful this Fall and not put the little feller upside down while running the river. I will get to the suspension and drive train this Winter and hopefully cage it too. I have an initial order of 60' of 2"x.120" DOM tubing on order.
Thanks for your interest and check back often as I have a lot of work left to do on this little truck & really enjoy comments and feedback...best in all you do!

Last edited:

Yeah I kinda figured it was on your list, but I had to ask!

Just building

I appreciate your thoughts/feelings and share your sentiments. You can pretty much "diss" anything you want with the engine you have! You could put that thing in a Kia and it would be cool! I have always liked the early gen Bronco's too. "All" it takes is time, lots of money, and Serious Fab Skills to make something awesome like you have done. Too bad, all 3 of those things - I Dont Have...Heh Heh
Really enjoying reading thru your build, it inspires me but at the same time makes me realize my mods are childs play in comparison!

Thanks for your kind comments. Read your posts several hours ago and didn't quite know how to respond. I really don't want to sound condesending to anyone, nor pretentious...I have seen your rides and they are great & I know you are proud of them and the modifications are extremely well chosen.
I remember my first new car it was a 1963 Chevy Impala Super Sport, 300hp 4 on the floor with wire wheel hub caps, red interior with bucket seats and the mods I made on it are still in my mind among the most awesome that I have ever made on any vehicle among these were an 8 track tape player with 4 speakers, a set of chrome reverse rims with baby moons, shorty lake pipes, smitty glass packs, 4.11 posi, 2.02 heads, Chevy 350 hp hyd cam and Aluminum intake from a 365 hp corvette with Rochester 4 bbl. All bought off the shelf and installed by myself and my (teen age delinquent) friends...none of whom ended up in the state pen but that was, I'm sure just a legal oversight. I write this because it still means the world to me to reflect on how hard I worked and saved in order to have a car and then personalize it so that it was a source of both personal pride and a joy each time I walked out and saw it...then drove it. There is no way that any subsequent build including my current one will ever mean as much as that first experience, wish it were other wise, but that one was my best and proudest.
I guess what I'm saying is enjoy your fine Explorer, if I thought I was causing anyone to be dissatisfied in their own projects I would be ashamed. I personally get great satisfaction in seeing others build neat rides and there are as you know some fine builders represented in this forum who have been fabricating for years, though some are quite young... Rookieshooter, 410 Fortune, Carls desert beater & the little Navajo truggy desert truck: to name a few...also Race ranger over on Ranger Station. Great dedication and skills, $$ & time, but each vehicle stands on it's own & is special. I just love cars, trucks and the people who love 'em.
Installing an 8 track tape or replacing a fan belt wasn't easy the first time around for any of us, but with time and perserverence it seems to indeed become child's play. What I know is not complex it's just work that I kept practicing at, sometimes getting paid for, and I still make a lot of mistakes, just don't let it tick me off like it used to. You are progressing at your own rate and making big changes in not only appearence but also in real day to day performance and improving your life by owning things which accurately express your personality and style...can't get much better than that! Best of luck in all you do, keep checkin' on us old guys progress & if you don't see a few posts during the week please dispatch the EMT's as I may need assistence, lol.

Last edited:

Quick

Yeah I kinda figured it was on your list, but I had to ask!
All my replys are not so lengthy, but you did give me pause to reflect on build direction and timing & for that I am grateful & on top of that you were right!

Slow progress

Drivers side tube door welded up but as yet unmounted, I did get the hinge completed and will need to pull the seat assembly in order to have enough room to install it. Door latch design still undecided...several to choose from, decisions, decisions!

Appreciate your reply immensely! Never fear, nothing you have posted sounds condesending in any way! I love working on my vehicles (no longer young though...)

I am blown away by your work and the others you have mentioned as well!!!!! Thanks for your thoughts! You summed it up perfectly about love for cars/trucks/peope who build em etc etc etc.

No seats

I picked a fine time to pull the drivers seat and tie up the Bronco for work that could have been put off for a nasty day. It has been beautiful here and the nights have been fantastic. I did get the Broncobra out early Monday morning for a couple of hours before daylight and had a blast watching the wildlife, mostly deer - but a lot of them...mainly on the roads!

Then I pulled the seat to install the drivers side hinge bracket and mounted the door. Fit up was good, so I built the door stops/latch brackets up front & was pleased with the way they turned out. They not only stop the door from turning inward but also securely locate the door and support it due to my wedge design. Plain speak... holds the door rock solid & will serve as the latching point when I locate a few parts to finish the latches up.

I took a few pictures of the latches as I decided to weld and grind the materials instead of just machining them. I have made a lot of small parts using this poor boy method and it can save you serious money with machine shops if tolerances aren't to critical for your purpose. With time and patience some really custom looking parts can be turned out in steel or aluminum, using basically scrap materials. I have mills and lathes, but many don't so I wanted to show the basics to those who have never tried to make anything but straight brackets out of angle iron or strap. The materials for the stop/latch body were as stated just scrap consisting of angle iron, steel tube, flat strap & 1/2" keystock (last 2 were just used as spacer/filler material). All of it was combined, jigged up and welded then ground down and shaped with a flap wheel on a 4" angle grinder & file.

Center photo is the bracket ready for polishing and painting, not quite as quick as a mill but the end result looks good and will work great. Obviously one could build several different parts that would serve the same purpose, I just chose to use what was laying around.

Attachments

• IMAG0007.JPG
    IMAG0007.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 337
  • IMAG0008.JPG
    IMAG0008.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 358
  • IMAG0006.JPG
    IMAG0006.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:

Tube doors mounted

Tubes are mounted but I didn't have time to mount the latch stop brackets. Using the heavy door cap metal made the tube doors much easier to mount and structurally sound and once I've wheeled with them mounted for awhile I have the option to weld the latch and hinge to the cap for even greater strength, though I doubt it will be necessary.

Attachments

• IMAG0002.JPG
    IMAG0002.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 340
  • IMAG0004.JPG
    IMAG0004.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 360
  • IMAG0003.JPG
    IMAG0003.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:

Love the Out of the Box style not normally associated with Off Roading, not some Cookie Cutter Build that you see on so many other sites.
I think some snap on Leather or Faux leather arm rests on top would be so cool (pun intended), plus keep your arm from roasting from the relentless OK sun.

Style

Rookie you are ahead of me on the padding/insulation I was about to get burned with the tubes for sure!

Style & power are definitely big deals with me, the old saying "chrome don't get you home is so true, but it does give you something nice to look at while you're waiting for the tow truck! Course if it isn't functional & structurally sound it doesn't belong, but I definitely want a look that is appropriate for the proposed purpose intended and at the same time displaying a unique style.

When I began this build I wanted a retro "Baja" look that was somewhat updated. I tried to picture in my mind what a Strope/Shelby B2 would have looked like...built today; thus the name I chose....Broncobra. V8 power ala Cobra and utilizing the basic Ford platforms that both these teams liked to rely on for their "out of the box" thinking. So yeah I do want the product to really "POP" when I'm finished (long way off) yet be safe, dependable and fun to drive.

Misc.

Tube door cradles/stop/suppor/latch body...whatever installed & really do work well. Raydot mirror shown, have a pair of these that I am considering for the Broncobra. After posting these pictures the simplest latch idea occurred to me, 30 minutes to completion and after this I promise not to post any more caps, latch, tubes or cradle information or photos again...ever!

Attachments

• IMAG0002.JPG
    IMAG0002.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 331
  • IMAG0003.JPG
    IMAG0003.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 344
  • IMAG0001.JPG
    IMAG0001.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 345
  • IMAG0009.JPG
    IMAG0009.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:

Fender cuts

Fender cuts are among the first things we off road guys attempt with our rigs, and rightly so if we go larger on the meats and then larger still we just run out of room even with suspension and body lifts COG should eventually rule out more altitude, so we give the ride a little sheet metal attitude. Cutting the fenders may be an owners first encounter with a sawz all, no matter cutting on the body of any vehicle goes against most guys instict until they reach the tipping point, 3 or 4 different vehicles and then we get addicted to it and start thinking about upgrading the neighbors new Escalade with a full chop!
On the B2 we are left with a gap, directly into the interior of at least a half inch...more if a larger section of sheet metal is removed, that definitely needs to be sealed against the elements.
Normally a bead of automotive sealant is run and Bob's your uncle, it's finished. It's a semi permanent, cost effective & usually seals up pretty well especially if you re-apply periodically. I've done it in the past and when I cut the fenders for the Broncobra to allow larger tires and added the Bushwacker cut out flares (for the cops mainly but I really like the beefy look they lend) I was of course left with the gap. I ran a few beads of sealant as per the above paragraph, and the results were, hmm...well--ugly; as usual.
Photo shows a more asthetically pleasing and permanent resolution to my problem. I used a section of Flexy flare rubber that I had used before going to the cutouts, and contoured it to fit over the mess of sealant underneath & secured it with very short sheet metal screws. The sharp ends protruding into the wheel well were ground down and painted. The ground flat ends won't back out without the aid of a screw driver. Might not be the cheapest way to start with, but hey it looks good and I was about to trash 'em anyway.

Attachments

• IMAG0007.JPG
    IMAG0007.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 341

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Droop to stuff

Anyone seen a credible test of an impressive B2 leaf spring flex that was done with the rear sway bar connected...modified or highly modified ok, but sway connected? If so please direct me to it. I am familiar with the Race ranger 2x4 and the '92 Zimmerman 4x4 Explorer but feel sways were off on the major flex shots dealing with the rear & if I'm wrong about that please let me know, not putting either truck down as they are favorites of mine.

Back