new JLT Oil Separator | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new JLT Oil Separator

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 2nd report was better... But I'm thinking it was more the better oil than the catch can.

I am due to pull another sample in about 500 miles.

explorer2nd.jpg

Still trying to get a handle on this.

Way too much Boron...Im putting my ride on craig's list tomorrow! Thanks for sharing!

Buzz

PCV system purpose.

The idea was to recover crankcase oil vapor and sending it through air intake to be consumed in normal engine combustion. It also helps to regulate crankcase pressure which, if you are driving high miles vehicle, can compromise aged gaskets and seals and leave you wondering where all the engine oil is going even if there's no blue exhaust and the spark plugs are not sooted.

So hear is my question - if the engines PCV system is being serviced at the appropriate intervals, how does this oil separator unit improve on factory design?

The main reason for these recovery systems is to keep the vapors out of the intake track on direct injection motors. These vapors will stick to the valves which in DI motors have no fuel to wash the valves which results in increased carbon biuld up on the valves. Other companys like BMW have placed injectors that spray into the plenum to reduce the carbon build up. There are alot of threads related to this and just as many opinions. BTW this is just what I have researched and not personal opinion. As we know there is a lot of snake oil on the internet.

I was told the oil vapors provided lubrication/ anti-corrosion throughout the intake system; also as the rings seat through break-in, the blow-by decreases.

Just completed the JLT oil separator install. There were a few fitment issues for the 2016 3.5 ecoboost install on my sport. I contacted JLT and provided them with the information to address the 16.

20160720_110707_zpscryz95du.jpg

Hi Guys, my first post here! I just installed the JLT 3.0 oil separator and the mounting is now drill free. The kit came with a bracket to attach it to the air conditioner line bracket which is attached to the left strut tower. It's a 13mm bolt. Take it off, line the bracket up with the hole and put the bolt back. I had to bend the bracket on installed to get it clear everything else. In addition I had to loosen the ground line (8mm bolt) on the factory bracket and rotate the wire a few mm to clear the JLT bracket.

Everything else looked the same. The catch can is now holds 3 ounces of waste oil. Took about 15 minutes in working by flashlight to install!

Hi Guys, my first post here! I just installed the JLT 3.0 oil separator and the mounting is now drill free. The kit came with a bracket to attach it to the air conditioner line bracket which is attached to the left strut tower. It's a 13mm bolt. Take it off, line the bracket up with the hole and put the bolt back. I had to bend the bracket on installed to get it clear everything else. In addition I had to loosen the ground line (8mm bolt) on the factory bracket and rotate the wire a few mm to clear the JLT bracket.

Everything else looked the same. The catch can is now holds 3 ounces of waste oil. Took about 15 minutes in working by flashlight to install!

any pics?

Had a JLT oil separator in my Cobra for a while and it was mediocre. Changed out for a larger tank that is moved farther away and it works much better: more oil in this one over a shorter period. Even better, it can be scored for about half the price, and even has a dipstick which is a nice feature. May even add one to my Sport at some point as well.

Link to the new kit on eBay (about $70 at the moment):

ADD W1 Oil Catch Tank Can Baffled Oil Catch can tank Universal Ver.1 BLACK | eBay

What looks to be the same tank for a lower price from another vendor:

Black Universal Aluminum Baffled Car Oil Catch Tank Can Reservoir Closed loop | eBay

Some details on them: Engine

How it looks in my Cobra (fabricating a bracket for the Explorer should be easy as well):

New%20engine%20overhead.jpg

Had a JLT oil separator in my Cobra for a while and it was mediocre. Changed out for a larger tank that is moved farther away and it works much better: more oil in this one over a shorter period. Even better, it can be scored for about half the price, and even has a dipstick which is a nice feature. May even add one to my Sport at some point as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADD-W1-Blac...ash=item2ef057d89a:g:IEMAAOSwmtJXWa62&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Unive...ash=item282392f77d:g:O7kAAOSwB09YGa-P&vxp=mtr

Some details on them: http://www.terminator-cobra.com/engine.htm#Oil_separator

How it looks in my Cobra (fabricating a bracket for the Explorer should be easy as well):

Looks pretty cool, my only concern would be the length of the run of the lines. It might be a non-issue but I would think a run that long would affect the overall pressure (or negative pressure) value.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADD-W1-Blac...ash=item2ef057d89a:g:IEMAAOSwmtJXWa62&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Unive...ash=item282392f77d:g:O7kAAOSwB09YGa-P&vxp=mtr

Some details on them: http://www.terminator-cobra.com/engine.htm#Oil_separator

Oil%20separator%202.jpg

Fair to assume it's working as intended, considering you have it installed in your Cobra?
Are you planning to install one in your EX?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks pretty cool, my only concern would be the length of the run of the lines. It might be a non-issue but I would think a run that long would affect the overall pressure (or negative pressure) value.

Actually, the long run is perfect. Gives the oil a chance to condense out - works like a charm. Absolutely no issues, and there is definitely more oil collecting in the tank now.

Fair to assume it's working as intended, considering you have it installed in your Cobra?
Are you planning to install one in your EX?

Am planning to install this same tank in my Explorer. Was looking at mounting it up near the air box, but have to put more thought in to it. May just have to settle on the strut tower area on the passenger side. In any case, I have to see my local Ford parts guys so I can score the PCV fittings for the lines, and will go from there.

Back