• Register Today It's free!

New Key with VIN number

jrobie79

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited 4.6 VIN "W"
I think I left my key for my explorer at the hotel on vacation...obviously they cant find it, so my question is can I go to a ford dealership and have them cut me a key with my VIN number and title (to prove ownership)?? I know for my 1991 BMW I can do this, hoping something similar is available for Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shouldn't be a problem at all. That is what they do if an owner wants another made, such as when a used car is purchased and only one key is given. The V.I.N. identifies the vehicle, so by proving ownership, I'm sure they will be more than happy to cut a key. Only problem is the expense since I hear they aren't cheap. I would plan on spending $140 or so.

I just called one place, and they said only for 02+ model years...sounds a little strange, anyone have experience with the 99s?

'Google' replacement key or use ebay. It may take some searching, but there are inexpensive ways out there to get a key for your vehicle. You may even try a local automotive locksmith. The good news is you shouldn't have a P.A.T.S. system with a 99', so it will be easier and cheaper to find.

well it appears I do have the P.A.T.S. chip key, and I've found prices in the 200 dollar range to get a key made....anyone offer any other advice?

Yes all the late 90's have the PATS system. I would call the most rural Ford dealership in your area. Here in Pittsburgh suburbs, I can get a key cut and programmed for about 80. It shouldn't be 200.

called two other dealers, both told me the same thing, they can only look up cars from 02+

The way I understand it is the 1997 was the last year that explorer did not use the Pats key system. You received a code tag with the original sets of keys. The dealer or locksmiths could enter the code into the key cutter and give you a new key.

In 1998 the Pats system was used with the chip in the key for all or most Fords. This system needed the two original keys in order to program the chip after a new blank pats key was cut in order for the chip to be programed.
Without both keys.. They will need to erase then reprogram the security system codes.
The dealerships are probably the only ones that have the equipment to do this. I know that all fords made between 1998 and 2001 have the same problems. I think 2002 &> they can look up the vin #

PATS Locksmith

A PATS qualified auto locksmith should be able to cut you a set of keys and program them. The locksmith will need access to the vehicle to program the keys. It takes about 20 minutes to program a key if you don't have two. You should always have three keys. That way if you lose one it is less expensive to get a third one cut and programmed.

i have an 2001 so i don't know if my experience helps you but... i had only one transponder key so i went to ebay and purchased another online for just under $20 delivered. i then took it to my ford dealership and they cut it and programmed it for $35 no questions asked. just make sure the key you buy looks identical to your original key and don't count on advertised "vehicle compatibility" charts.

yeah man on getting a third key made while you have 2! then you can program the duplicate yourself.

My 2001 150 Truck only has one and they want 135.00 at the dealerships for the reprograming fee.

It cost 130.00 for them to even look at your vehicle for normal repairs (Ford Diagnostic testing service fee)

that ebay deal for twenty and 35 to reprogram and cut sounds like a great deal if you can get that done??

Back