New Navigation Card? (A4) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Navigation Card? (A4)

This isn't a Ford issue. Apple yanked MAP (messaging access protocol) support out of the iOS 6.0 release. This protocol is what is required for MFT to talk to your iPhone for text messages. Unless Apple added MAP support back into 6.0.1 released a few days ago, texting integration with iPhone will not work yet.

apple sucks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This isn't a Ford issue. Apple yanked MAP (messaging access protocol) support out of the iOS 6.0 release. This protocol is what is required for MFT to talk to your iPhone for text messages. Unless Apple added MAP support back into 6.0.1 released a few days ago, texting integration with iPhone will not work yet.

Actually, that's not true. MAP support is in there, otherwise Sync would still say not supported. The problem is that Apple changed how to get the messages and Sync needs to support that change in order for the notifications to work. Also, the iMessages are encrypted (which may explain why they changed where you need to look for the messages). My developer account has expired since I don't need it anymore, but I did research the IOS 6 GM documentation.

It is something that Ford developers also need to research, understand, and implement for the iPhones to work.

Good News...Bad News

I downloaded the update software last night and got it installed in the wife's 2011 Ex (no Nav). It wipes out everything already loaded such as presets, phone pairing, etc. So some minor inconvenience to set that up again, but no big deal.

The good news is that the A4 card is out. I had my dealer order it yesterday, for my 2011 Ex (with Nav) after giving him the part number, TSB number. Low and behold, Ford has the card available. He got it today.

The Bad News is that if I want to install it myself, it's $60+ for the card. So we all have to make another trip back to the dealer to let them slide a SD card in the slot, put a flash drive in a USB drive and let the car update itself for 40 minutes. Lots of expertise needed there...My dealer wouldn't let me do the update at no charge.

Seems like overkill to me. I get to drive 60 miles round trip, wife gets to make a 60 mile round trip to take me home from dropping it off. Or I can wait 3 hours at the dealer for him to perform a 5 minute procedure and let the car set for 35 minutes more.

Obviously, I'm NOT a happy camper. Ford makes some very good cars, but they don't have a clue how to provide good customer service, from a procedures standpoint.

Actually, that's not true. MAP support is in there, otherwise Sync would still say not supported. The problem is that Apple changed how to get the messages and Sync needs to support that change in order for the notifications to work. Also, the iMessages are encrypted (which may explain why they changed where you need to look for the messages). My developer account has expired since I don't need it anymore, but I did research the IOS 6 GM documentation.

It is something that Ford developers also need to research, understand, and implement for the iPhones to work.

Leave it to Apple to implement a custom version of an existing protocol. I love my iPhone, but that's more than annoying. I haven't reviewed any information in regards to bluetooth since none of my development pertains to it, but I might have to go back and examine the documentation now.

I downloaded the update software last night and got it installed in the wife's 2011 Ex (no Nav). It wipes out everything already loaded such as presets, phone pairing, etc. So some minor inconvenience to set that up again, but no big deal.

The good news is that the A4 card is out. I had my dealer order it yesterday, for my 2011 Ex (with Nav) after giving him the part number, TSB number. Low and behold, Ford has the card available. He got it today.

The Bad News is that if I want to install it myself, it's $60+ for the card. So we all have to make another trip back to the dealer to let them slide a SD card in the slot, put a flash drive in a USB drive and let the car update itself for 40 minutes. Lots of expertise needed there...My dealer wouldn't let me do the update at no charge.

Seems like overkill to me. I get to drive 60 miles round trip, wife gets to make a 60 mile round trip to take me home from dropping it off. Or I can wait 3 hours at the dealer for him to perform a 5 minute procedure and let the car set for 35 minutes more.

Obviously, I'm NOT a happy camper. Ford makes some very good cars, but they don't have a clue how to provide good customer service, from a procedures standpoint.

Dealership gets paid by Ford to do the update. Sounds like they need the money :)

Rebecca can probably clear this up but I don't think the dealer can charge you for the SD card. A few dealers tried to do that before with the V3.0.2 update and were set quickly set straight.

Peter

Hmmm, I just had my EX at the dealership on 11/2/12. They replaced the APIM module again, second time being replaced. (third one in the car, original, replacement, replacement) and there was no mention of the TSB or new NAV card. I took it in this last time because of NAV issues, touch inputs not registering, washed out screens, etc., blah, blah, blah...same stuff, different day.

Guess I'll need to call them up and take it back in again. Roberts gonna love it when I do :)

On my service order from the other day, it states:

"12M01B replace APIM Assy"
"24540 perform recall 12M01B replaced APIM"

I'll have to call up dealership again.

Hmmm, I just had my EX at the dealership on 11/2/12. They replaced the APIM module again, second time being replaced. (third one in the car, original, replacement, replacement) and there was no mention of the TSB or new NAV card. I took it in this last time because of NAV issues, touch inputs not registering, washed out screens, etc., blah, blah, blah...same stuff, different day.

Guess I'll need to call them up and take it back in again. Roberts gonna love it when I do :)

LOL awesome... interesting that they are using the word "recall" in there. There was no public recall on the APIM that I'm aware of, I wonder what vehicles would be affected by it.

Yeah, I'm certainly having fun with this vehicle. No sooner did I type that last post, hop in the EX to drive home from work.....feel a bit hungy....hmmm, destination POI, by name, along route, McDonald's.........BAM........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUUtphRsFkM

Really? 4 friken days after having the APIM module replaced again......

Funny enough, as I was sitting there eating dinner at Wendy's, since I could not get directed to a McDonalds, the dealership called asking how my service was from 4 days ago.......Well, since you asked..........., back it goes on Friday. I mentioned the newest TSB to the SA, he looks it up, and then states that it looks like I have to have the FSA's mentioned done first before they can do the TSB.....argg.....argg......and triple argg.....

LOL awesome... interesting that they are using the word "recall" in there. There was no public recall on the APIM that I'm aware of, I wonder what vehicles would be affected by it.

That is not truly a recall. It is an extended warranty program for apim's if needed.

I just called my dealer and asked them to order the A4 SD card so that I could bring in my car to get updated. They said that they can't order any parts until they've looked at my car and confirmed that there's a problem. I told him about the ongoing issues with MyFordTouch, and he said that a software update probably won't fix the problems and they'll probably need to replace the APIM. They really want to replace an expensive part before even TRYING the free software update? That makes no sense to me. It also doesn't make sense that I now have to bring my car into the shop twice. Once for them to "look at it" and order the parts, which is hopefully just the A4 card. And again for them to do the update once the A4 card arrives.

Should it really require two visits to the dealer for a simple software update? I don't think I'm really having any issues other than the same flakiness that most MyFordTouch users experience.

I just called my dealer and asked them to order the A4 SD card so that I could bring in my car to get updated. They said that they can't order any parts until they've looked at my car and confirmed that there's a problem. I told him about the ongoing issues with MyFordTouch, and he said that a software update probably won't fix the problems and they'll probably need to replace the APIM. They really want to replace an expensive part before even TRYING the free software update? That makes no sense to me. It also doesn't make sense that I now have to bring my car into the shop twice. Once for them to "look at it" and order the parts, which is hopefully just the A4 card. And again for them to do the update once the A4 card arrives.

Should it really require two visits to the dealer for a simple software update? I don't think I'm really having any issues other than the same flakiness that most MyFordTouch users experience.

It should not... Call the IVT support 800-392-3673 and have them schedule the appointment with your dealer for you. The dealer should not require you to go in for an inspection prior to ordering the card for the update.. they can look up your VIN to see if you are part of any of the APIM recall campaigns and order those parts in advance as well.

CNSheets, You've had these issues with all of your APIMs? Do you believe this is a flash issue? I'm asking because you seem to have many similar issues on multiple APIM's while others have not. The APIM connects to something for power. What? If their are multiple prongs to power the APIM via a connector, those prongs go to power different parts of the motherboard, usb, etc. I wondering about power loss to the APIM connector itself, like one of the prongs.

I could very easily be wrong, but a faulty power prong on a power connector I don't think will shut down your APIM as a whole, but I do think it would cause issues regarding, say navigation or usb or interrupting something causing the screen to go black without shutting down, even registering touch. Remember EPAS failures on explorers? It was due to circuitry not being properly coated and corrosion would cause power to cut in and out. Steering would not lock up, but would become very hard to steer. Maybe the connector to your APIM suffers from the same porblem.

Why do I have a feeling that if you and Peterk9 swapped APIMs, you would still have issues and he wouldn't?

Have you replaced your car's power connector wiring apparatus that that connects to your APIM?

What about anything connecting to you antenna (this just of navi)?

Do you think the power connector could be a possible culprit?

I'm wondering....:scratch:

CNSheets, You've had these issues with all of your APIMs? Do you believe this is a flash issue? I'm asking because you seem to have many similar issues on multiple APIM's while others have not. The APIM connects to something for power. What? If their are multiple prongs to power the APIM via a connector, those prongs go to power different parts of the motherboard, usb, etc. I wondering about power loss to the APIM connector itself, like one of the prongs.

I could very easily be wrong, but a faulty power prong on a power connector I don't think will shut down your APIM as a whole, but I do think it would cause issues regarding, say navigation or usb or interrupting something causing the screen to go black without shutting down, even registering touch. Remember EPAS failures on explorers? It was due to circuitry not being properly coated and corrosion would cause power to cut in and out. Steering would not lock up, but would become very hard to steer. Maybe the connector to your APIM suffers from the same porblem.

Why do I have a feeling that if you and Peterk9 swapped APIMs, you would still have issues and he wouldn't?

Have you replaced your car's power connector wiring apparatus that that connects to your APIM?

What about anything connecting to you antenna (this just of navi)?

Do you think the power connector could be a possible culprit?

I'm wondering....:scratch:

I have a 2013 Sport, and I experience almost the exact same MFT issues I experienced in my 2011 XLT. I don't think it is really a hardware issue at all. My Sport, in the 2 weeks I've had it, MFT has rebooted on its own while driving 4 times.

That being said on 3.5.1 it has not reboot at all in 3 days, and is running fast and relatively enjoyable. It still has a ton of bugs (shuffling with the iphone 4s doesn't work when restarting the vehicle, etc) but it's at least semi-stable. I do not however have an A4 nav card yet, so when I add nav to the mix it may revert right back to what it was prior to the update.

LeFurg,

At this point, if Ford can not get it sorted out and wants to keep bringing it in to keep working on it, that's fine by me. If they want to check the harness or plugs, no problem, again, I have no problem taking it in as many times as they wish. The scorecard is already heavily in my favor so keep on sending them points my way Ford! "I'm winning!"

On a side note, dealership called this morning and are pre-ordering the "A4" card for me to have ready when I bring it in again on Friday......

What the dealer is telling you is nonsense in my opinion. I called up my dealer yesterday, they ran my VIN, said that I am eligible for the update, set up an appointment for next week and ordered the A4 SD card.
The TSB doesn't say anything about you having to have a problem to get the update.

Peter

New info on A4 card and update

Made an appt with dealer to update my 2011 with Nav for tomorrow morning with 3.5.1 + A4 Nav card.

He just called me and said that Ford has instructed them NOT to do any upgrades with Nav for any explorer built before June 2012. TSB 12-11-1 is only for Ex's built after that.

I find this very interesting in that on the very top of the TSB, it clearly states 2011-2013 Explorers. (mine was built in May of 2011)

So...now I'm on hold for the update "until part 2 comes out from Ford" which is supposed to address the earlier built 2011's. (this comes from an email from the customer service rep for Ford in my area)

Hopefully, it will be in my lifetime :confused:

So for you guys that have appointments, you might want to verify that they will apply to your car before you screw up a half a day of your time to take it to the dealer.

Made an appt with dealer to update my 2011 with Nav for tomorrow morning with 3.5.1 + A4 Nav card.

He just called me and said that Ford has instructed them NOT to do any upgrades with Nav for any explorer built before June 2012. TSB 12-11-1 is only for Ex's built after that.

I find this very interesting in that on the very top of the TSB, it clearly states 2011-2013 Explorers. (mine was built in May of 2011)

So...now I'm on hold for the update "until part 2 comes out from Ford" which is supposed to address the earlier built 2011's. (this comes from an email from the customer service rep for Ford in my area)

Hopefully, it will be in my lifetime :confused:

So for you guys that have appointments, you might want to verify that they will apply to your car before you screw up a half a day of your time to take it to the dealer.
I haven't heard anything back from my dealer on this. You are correct in that the TSB shows 2011-2013 Edge, Explorer. Mine was built Feb. 2011 and unless the dealer calls, I'm keeping my appointment.
Thanks for the 'heads up'.

Peter

I have a 2013 Sport, and I experience almost the exact same MFT issues I experienced in my 2011 XLT. I don't think it is really a hardware issue at all. My Sport, in the 2 weeks I've had it, MFT has rebooted on its own while driving 4 times.

That being said on 3.5.1 it has not reboot at all in 3 days, and is running fast and relatively enjoyable. It still has a ton of bugs (shuffling with the iphone 4s doesn't work when restarting the vehicle, etc) but it's at least semi-stable. I do not however have an A4 nav card yet, so when I add nav to the mix it may revert right back to what it was prior to the update.

13Sport,

1. Interesting. Keep us informed about how your mft works with nav.

2. What issues did you have again with your 2011 and are they more persistent, less persistent or the same on your 2013? Like how often did your mft reboot on your 2011 compared to your 2013?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

13Sport,

1. Interesting. Keep us informed about how your mft works with nav.

2. What issues did you have again with your 2011 and are they more persistent, less persistent or the same on your 2013? Like how often did your mft reboot on your 2011 compared to your 2013?

Originally (2.7-2.11) reboot at least once every two days, sometimes multiple times in a day. I also had issues w/ GPS not being accurate or no satellites found, etc. Voice commands would stop working every few days, maps were slow and street names would appear after you already passed the street.

3.0.2 made things worse. The unit would reboot multiple times per day, after rebooting twice while a service advisor was standing there watching, they replaced the APIM.

After the APIM replacement the system got slightly more stable.. it would then slow down over the course of a few days to a week before rebooting eventually. There are just obvious problems with the software implementation and the bugginess of Flash in general.

My Sport (on 3.2.2) works just like the 2011 XLT worked after the APIM was replaced. So far on 3.5.1 I don't notice any slowing, but like I said, I haven't added back navigation yet. I'm picking up a card Friday.

Back