New Owner from Kent | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Owner from Kent

Hallo all,

On another matter, i did have a problem with my temp gauge, in that it would only move a little, but never get anywhere near half way, so from the info i got on here, i deduced that it was either the sensors, or the thermostat. I also planned on replacing both this and the fuel filter anyway as a matter of maintenance.

Thermostat replaced, without losing too much coolant as i managed to do it without draining the radiator, and the temp gauge is now behaving as it should.

I didn't get around to replacing the fuel filter as it started chucking it down, and also someone mentioned to me that i many need a special tool for removal of the fuel lines at each end.

Can anyone point me in the direction of someone selling such a tool?

I did have a look on youtube but all i found was a guy butchering the cap off of a sharpie marker pen and using that. ???????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you google fuel line tool you will see what you need HOWEVER,
When undoing the fuel lines to remove the engine I just used a nozzle from a silicon gun cut at the appropriate width and then slit down the length to pop it over the line. Doing it this way can be a bit more of a fiddle that using the correct tool but if you have one laying around it's free. I also used a bit of 15mm copper pipe slit down the length and pushed with pliers but I found the nozzle easier. The tool pushes open a retaining spring and these can get gunked/rusted so a blast with penetrant before hand can help.

This is what you are making tho a bit more basic
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FJC-2878-Fuel-Line-Disconnect-Tool-Metal-Black-/140978870224?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item20d2fed7d0

Cheers for the info. Got loads of those nozzles lying around, will have a go as soon as it stops raining!

Hallo all,

Thermostat and fuel filter replaced and i was surprised at how much of a difference it made. Seems quicker.

However, a few months away from a holiday and so DIY looms and one job is to replace the timing chain tensioners. From what ive seen they are like large bolts with a plunger on the end. Is this correct?

Ive searched on ebay for anything that looks like it but come up with nothing, just replacement chains and guides. I do have a slight rattle upon cold startup but nothing more, so would like to do a bit of preventative stuff before they knacker my guides, or even worse!!!

Are these the same for all MK2's? Any if so were could i buy these in the Kent area, UK?

Hallo all,

Thermostat and fuel filter replaced and i was surprised at how much of a difference it made. Seems quicker.

However, a few months away from a holiday and so DIY looms and one job is to replace the timing chain tensioners. From what ive seen they are like large bolts with a plunger on the end. Is this correct?

Ive searched on ebay for anything that looks like it but come up with nothing, just replacement chains and guides. I do have a slight rattle upon cold startup but nothing more, so would like to do a bit of preventative stuff before they knacker my guides, or even worse!!!

Are these the same for all MK2's? Any if so were could i buy these in the Kent area, UK?

Best bet is from the states tho it make work out cheaper from UK dealership if you factor in the shipping cost
I bought the 00m12 kit and the rear tensioner from tascaparts.com, a dealer in texas but I was buying a few bits so the shipping cost balanced out. The kit was $49 when I bought it but it has gone up now
http://tascaparts.com/parts/index.cfm?make=Ford&year=&searchText=YL2Z-9E473-AA+&action=oePartSearch&siteid=213668
Also available here but I have never used them
http://www.usallparts.com/catalog/p....html&XTCsid=1858c69dee999e9356aea01b037e8c9d

If you take the part number YL2Z-9E473-AA to a uk dealer they will have to find the UK finis number to check availability. If you search my threads you may find the uk finis number for it and the finis code for the rear tensioner as I think somewhere I posted them. But the second website shows the US part numbers for all the timing parts which the dealer can cross reference (if they can be arsed)
Someone else may pipe up with the part numbers for you.

Oh and the 00m12 kit is the front tensioner and manifold gaskets and a restrictor pencil for an oil gallery.
:salute:

On another note, just trying to get a list together of all jobs, small and large before my hols. Have just noticed that my battery clamp seems to be missing. Took out the battery to have a clean up around the area and realized after the event that i didn't have to unbolt anything to do it! Anyone got one they wish to sell? Have looked all over the internet and cant find any. Not that i know what they look like!!!

Anyone?

You may have the wrong size battery. The original is a physically large lump. When I replaced mine (with a range rover battery from unipart) the clamp was not big enough to hold it in place, so had to make up a plate to do it.

My point being that the clamp may have been left off by a previous owner for that reason.

You may have the wrong size battery. The original is a physically large lump. When I replaced mine (with a range rover battery from unipart) the clamp was not big enough to hold it in place, so had to make up a plate to do it.

My point being that the clamp may have been left off by a previous owner for that reason.

Ah OK. Yes i agree, its certainly not a small battery, although there does seem to be just enough room down the side to fit the clamp. The battery in mine is a banner unit and is only a few months old (got the receipt for it with the paperwork for the truck).

You said you made one up! Got any pics? If i can do similar, or maybe get something from another vehicle to fit then thats something else out of the way!

imagesCA9D7G80.jpg

The clamp is basically a wedge. My new battery had to have a spacer put behind it to grip the battery.

Cheers for the info kev. Managed to find the wedge on a website and ordered just for a couple of quid.

OH DEAR!

I have a feeling something may be very wrong. I have always had the truck in 4X4 auto, and haven't changed that control as yet since i wasn't sure how to "work" it, As every other 4x4 ive had, has had manual selection for the transmission. However, last night i was in a car park and decided to switch it to 4x4 HIGH. I moved off in a straight line and i heard a banging noise coming from the front, I only went in a straight line and didn't go over 5mph as i haven't a clue what it could be. It started about 2 seconds after i moved off.

Instantly horrified, i switched back to 4x4 auto and it stopped. What on earth could be wrong?

OK, just an update on that noise. Ive done some searching and apparently, (correct me if im wrong), but you aren't supposed to use 4x4high on anything other than slippery surfaces! Is this correct. And i think that when i tried it last night i was turning the wheels slightly. I just tried it again, in a straight line this time, and all was fine, and no noise!

It shouldn't make a noise in a straight line. Have your front tyres got the same ammount of tread and got equal pressures? Try it on some loose gravel and see what it does. You really shouldn't use it on hard none slippery surfaces. [ you just beat my reply]

Cheers for the reply kev. No noise in a straight line. Mental note for myself, Learn how to use the 4 wheel drive system! I will now go and sit in the naughty corner!

More questions!

Was just thinking about some jobs to be done and was thinking about replacing the chain guides and tensioners. Defo a job to be done as i don't know when they were last done, if at all.

Can anyone confirm if these engines (99 4.0l SOHC) are non interference! Ive read in several different places that they are, and others saying they aren't.

Anyone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These engine are definitely interference. If a chain snaps you are looking at bent valves..... go on ask me how I know :eek::D:eek:

Back