for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

New recall on 4.0 SOHC Engine

Discussion in 'Auto Industry News' started by Millarduck, January 12, 2001.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Millarduck

Millarduck New Member

Just took my '98 to the dealer today for an oil change & rotation. They notcied the clicking noise from my engine and told me that the infamous cam tensioners needed to be replaced. Ford recently issued a TSB/recall on these. So the work is now free under an extended warranty for owners of that engine. If you already paid to have the tensioners replaced, Ford will reimburse you if you bring your VIN and paper work. The recall is issued for certain production plants, so that's why the VIN is required. Any Ford dealer with their Oasis system shuld be able to help you get your money back. I also heard that the extension to the warranty only covers the tensioners and possibly the manifold intake too.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Millarduck

Millarduck New Member

Okay here are the details. The "recall" is referenced as "Program 00M12" They replace the intake manifold gaskets & camshaft tensioners. They also replaced my throttle body under Program 99M02. I already had that recall done at my original dealer, but hey it was free.

4. Kerisseler

Kerisseler New Member

City, State:
      Bay Village, Ohio
      Year and Model:
      '97 XLT
      I took mine in for the tensioners and intake manifold updates under the 00M12 program. Does anyone know if they should be replacing both tensioners? My service manager told me they are only having problems with the left one and that is the only one they would replace. I would have thought they would do both while they had it all apart. It runs great and I have been happy with my dealer but, this didn't make sence to me.

5. robs2001sport

robs2001sport New Member

City, State:
      North Olmsted,ohio
      Year and Model:
      2001 sport
      my 2001 explorer sports got loose and the passenger side broke we took the front of the engine off and it looks like the guy i bought it from never changed the oil anyways will they fix the tensioners so i can get it running or is there a way i can find a 4.0 sohc manufactured date was 3/2000 vin e with 4x4 i am having a real hard time trying to find that engine any help would be great thanks,Robert

6. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      00 Sport FI,03 Limited V8
      Recall expired

The factory recall on the leaking lower intake manifold and driver side timing chain tensioner expired many years ago.

7. robs2001sport

robs2001sport New Member

City, State:
      North Olmsted,ohio
      Year and Model:
      2001 sport
      what i would like to do since my luck is that its expired

i wanted to put an 02 03 or newer 4.0 sohc with 4x4 in it what would work the best and what would i have to change i do want to get it to mount right up to the trans since it still good much thanks in advance,Robert

8. neenahexplorer14

neenahexplorer14 New Member

City, State:
      neenah wisconsin
      Year and Model:
      96 xlt
      off the subject but how do i create a new thread because i want to post for a new engine mine seized

9. Turdle

Turdle Step-buddy Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      Year and Model:
      2000 Mounty
    10. Jsgarfield

Jsgarfield New Member

City, State:
      Flint, Mich
      Year and Model:
      1998 Explorer sport
      Will an 4.0 OHV fit where my SOHV was? What type of issues can I expect in the swap? Thanks!!!

11. Carguy3J

Carguy3J Well-Known Member

City, State:
      North East New Jersey
      Year and Model:
      '99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD
      Yes, it would, with some minor issues. You need to research it a bit BEFORE buying a motor. There is a thread on here somewhere with all the info. Do a search.

However, it's a bad idea. You're going backwards. The SOHC is a much better motor. It's more powerful (about 50hp more), and more fuel efficient. Sure it has timing chain tensioner issues, but it's really it's only negative. The OHV's aren't perfect. They have poor top-end oiling, which leads to premature pushrod/rocker arm wear. Granted, it's easier to fix than the SOHC timing chain.

Given proper maintenance, the SOHC's can live a long happy life. Use good synthetic oil (5w30-NOT anything thicker). Also, a member on here, "CDW..."(I can't remember the rest of his ID), suggests that changing the chain TENSIONERS at regular intervals (60-70k), much like a timing belt in many cars, will go a long way towards keeping the motor in good shape. Also, when you now buy replacement timing components (new chain, guides,tensioners,etc...), the guides are an updated design/material that is more durable. This is the design/material that was used in the '03-'10 Mustang 4.0L SOHC(which will swap as a long block with the older Explorer SOHC).

12. Carguy3J

Carguy3J Well-Known Member

City, State:
      North East New Jersey
      Year and Model:
      '99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD
      What are you talking about? This thread is VERY old. There is no new recall(s) for the SOHC.

13. Sams01XplrSprt

Sams01XplrSprt Southern Cali Explorer

City, State:
      Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
      Year and Model:
      2001 Sport (sold)
      oh my god i feel so stupid right now i didnt even look at that date stupid me

14. EX-SV

EX-SV Active Member

City, State:
      northern California
      Year and Model:
      owned a 07 EBV8 4x4
      1 decade later...