New supercharger kit for 4.0L | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New supercharger kit for 4.0L

I made 200 rwhp before tuning the truck. After it was about 230-240 rwhp. So give 10-20 to the bolt-ons and the rest to the charger and it's a nice increase ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your ohv made 200rwhp while naturally asperated? what mods did you do to it? cam, headers, etc? i've done full intake path and exhaust path and don't even make 200 =/

Heres some news folks ...

My e-mail to owner:

Hi Thomas, I spoke to you earlier about the Ranger/Explorer 4.0 adapter kit.
As I said I have already ordered the Eaton M62 Frontier supercharger and
should have it shortly. I just wanted to know if you could send me a
detailed list of all the parts I will need for the install on a 98 OHV
explorer 4Dr if it matters ... And to also get the shematic which you told
me about. I really appreciate your time and help and will be getting in
touch with you ASAP when Im ready to purchase the kit.

Alwyn Villanueva (Steeda Explorer Owner)

His Response:

Alwyn,

You will get for $995 (plus shipping):
1--the intake manifold-to-Eaton supercharger adapters
2--throttle body to Eaton adapter
3--idler pulley mount
4--idler pulley
5--installation instructions

You will need:
1--Nissan Exterra/Frontier V6 Eaton supercharger*
2--intake and throttle body gaskets for the Eaton (dealer item $30)
3--belt--must be measured AFTER installation (simple procedure--follow
included instructions)
4--Fuel controller (FMU, larger injectors with S-AFC, etc)**
5--Boost Gauge
6--Air/fuel gauge

* All 3.3 and 3.5 V6 Supercharged models
**98+ vehicles (vehicles with returnless fuel rail) need inline fuel pump, two brass 5/16" Tees, and FMU OR larger injectors and S-AFC. The '87-'92 F150 frame rail mounted fuel pump works great ($100 at local parts stores). EGR tube and port can be blocked off on '96+ vehicles, or a new tube fabricated.

SWEET!

Hmmm... It doesn't seem like this is going to come in under $1700.... make sure to keep all your reciepts + time spent on the install etc. Let us know the final figures when you're done =P

Yup ... will do hydroxy! :D

Originally posted by dnellans
your ohv made 200rwhp while naturally asperated? what mods did you do to it? cam, headers, etc? i've done full intake path and exhaust path and don't even make 200 =/

I think that was before he tuned the engine for the supercharger. The supercharger was installed. 10 to 20 for the bolt ons. I wish I could get 200 on my ohv without the expense of a supercharger :rolleyes:

Originally posted by dnellans

well, alec had a 5.0 V8, not a 4.0L

on Alec, true he had a 4.0 but it was a Sport... therefore he had a faster engine than those with 4.0 in non-sports. Wasnt one a 165hp where the other was like 210hp? I unfortunately found this out too late and drive the slower 4 door XLT. It's a long and expensive climb to 200+ hp. :(

There were two different 4.0s available on both the Sports and the 4drs from '97 on. The 4.0 OHV (available from '91- +/- '00) produced around 165hp. The 4.0 SOHC (became available in 97) produces around 210 hp.

Originally posted by sunbum
on Alec, true he had a 4.0 but it was a Sport... therefore he had a faster engine than those with 4.0 in non-sports. Wasnt one a 165hp where the other was like 210hp? I unfortunately found this out too late and drive the slower 4 door XLT. It's a long and expensive climb to 200+ hp. :(

The only motor that is not shared is the 5.0, which can only be in a 4-door. All other motors were shared.

Stock was 160crank, 120rwhp. When I sold it, it was ~235rwhp, ~300crank. And about 375crank tq.

Had nitrous for a while too :D

Alec, did the tranny hold up with the added HP?

Not in stock form. With an internal shiftkit and some internal improvements it seemed to be doing ok until I sold it.

what did you do for "internal improvements" besides the bauman shift kit that lots of people do? i'm thinking about a rebuild and if i'm going to put the money in i want to do it RIGHT so its the last time. but besides the bauman shift kit i don't know what people are doing to beef up the tranny =/

-d

ya, i know this is getting off subject, but while we are talking about it:
Im about to have my A4LD rebuilt (1500 bucks). what all would be the best aftermarket parts, if any, to send with it, so it can handle any future power upgrades? this rebuild is for all soft and hard parts, and he replaces them with OEM spec parts. I mean, should i get a shift kit, and give it to the guy rebuilding it so he can put it in? or just go OEM parts? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by NICE59FORDF100
ya, i know this is getting off subject, but while we are talking about it:
Im about to have my A4LD rebuilt (1500 bucks). what all would be the best aftermarket parts, if any, to send with it, so it can handle any future power upgrades? this rebuild is for all soft and hard parts, and he replaces them with OEM spec parts. I mean, should i get a shift kit, and give it to the guy rebuilding it so he can put it in? or just go OEM parts? thanks.

Make sure that your tranny guy does all the heavy duty upgrades, also get a shift kit. It may cost a few more dollars but it will make a huge difference.

Back