New supercharger kit for 4.0L | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New supercharger kit for 4.0L

Oops. sorry I thought thats what they were looking for. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well TK is the only one I know of that has that particular adapter. I have a brand new Nissan SC that I got off e-bay a while ago. As far as the fuel system goes, I would think to make it a return type system, you will most likely need some parts from an older X. Also, you may need an FMU(Fuel Management Unit) and an inline fuel pump to boost fuel delivery. I have heard that larger injectors don't need the FMU but not sure. However, larger injectors means getting a MAF calibrated for them, which means after market. I also wonder if the gains you want are possible with out TB, headers, and MAF not to mention a chip. Bama (SP) chips is supposed to be good and its run but a Ford V6 guy. He is knoledable and will give you advice as needed. Timing might also be an issue as well. You may need to buy some type of ignician managment system to retard the timing the higher you rev. Other wise you might suffer predetonation. You should also purchase a boost guage so you can monitor just how much boost your getting. I will help anyway I can. I hope I didnt just squash your dreams? :D GOOD LUCK

Man what a steal. Brand new these things are like 1500 bucks.

Ok just got the charger off ebay for $300. I emailed TK about some of the concerns i have had with this.

About the returnless system:
RETURNLESS SYSTEMS NEED AN INLINE FUEL PUMP AND AN FMU--NOTHING ELSE. HERE IS A DIAGRAM OF HOW IT WORKS:

I also belive that the MAF/timing issue shoulden't be much of a problem as this thing runs only 7psi max.

As i said, i'm not looking to turn this into a racer, just give it a bit more power.

One of the reasons i do not want a chip to boost power is that it would require premium fuel, and i'm not interested in doing that. I may get one custom programed to use regular, but as I understand it, the stock computer should recognise the increase in airflow anyway and adjust the system acordingly.

I think this is the diagram he was refering to.

unabonked said:
Ok just got the charger off ebay for $300. I emailed TK about some of the concerns i have had with this.

I also belive that the MAF/timing issue shoulden't be much of a problem as this thing runs only 7psi max.

As i said, i'm not looking to turn this into a racer, just give it a bit more power.

One of the reasons i do not want a chip to boost power is that it would require premium fuel, and i'm not interested in doing that. I may get one custom programed to use regular, but as I understand it, the stock computer should recognise the increase in airflow anyway and adjust the system acordingly.

Well I understand what your trying to do becuase thats what I want to do, but I wouldn't assume anything unless you have a spare motor sitting around. Doug from Bamma chips does performance 87 programs as well. You can also get a chip with performance 87,93 and stock programs on the same chip. Realy what I'm getting at is do your homework and a lot of it before you dive in. It would also be nice to see some pics when you get the kit. also some install pics.

Dollar wise this is an expensive way to go (NO2 is cheap). The coolness factor is way up there with a supercharger though! :cool:

thinking: "If I just had a lot of money now. :p "

Its not that expensive when you consider buying the whole kit for over 3K. Doing it this way, it is easy to do for under 2. NOS is great on a fresh motor, but I would hate to always have to go to the hot rod shop to fill up. Not to mention the temptation to let a few pounds leak out at a party. :confused:

Very true. The EE X-charger kit for my 4.0 SOHC is like $4300 or something.

However, you do realize the stuff they use in cars is different somehow than what a dentist uses. I don't know how. I wouldn't recommend breathing it though.

I haven't been on the forum for a bit and was unaware of the new chips. Last time i was here, people were griping about the Jet chip. The only other one out there was for 93 octane... with prices the way they are, a SC would be cheaper!

It would be cool to get a chip as long as it was like $200 or less. I would love to have a mode for performance and a mode for fuel ecconomy.

you got a site for bamma chips? i tried the search and coulden't find anything.

unabonked said:
I haven't been on the forum for a bit and was unaware of the new chips. Last time i was here, people were griping about the Jet chip. The only other one out there was for 93 octane... with prices the way they are, a SC would be cheaper!

It would be cool to get a chip as long as it was like $200 or less. I would love to have a mode for performance and a mode for fuel ecconomy.

you got a site for bamma chips? i tried the search and coulden't find anything.

Hey guy,

Try www.Bamachips.com The sever it is on got attacked early last week but everything is back up and running now. Or if you'd like I can give you more detailed information if you'll send me your year and engine size to Bamachips@charter.net

Thanks, Doug.

I hate to be the one to tell you, but your site is still down or at least I can't get in.

Later,
Brian_B

unabonked said:

Sorry, I didn't see this until earlier, we really need to make a new post here.

Returnless systems need a inline pump and FMU huh? Where do you plan on putting a FMU in a system without a returnline? If you put a inline pump in a system with a mechanical returnless fuel system, like that of an Explorer, you will not have any regulation of the fuel pressure because the FPR is ontop of the fuel pump in the tank.

Last, the computer will adjust for an air intake or exhaust but not for another liter of air from a supercharger, also on most the factory MAF will not have enough range to adjust even when you do a custom chip and you'll have to go larger with it. Finally the stock injectors won't hold the HP.

Take this from me, I've done 4 custom SOHC supercharger installs now and have one pushing near 300rwhp, 293rwhp to be exact. We run 80mm mass air meters, 30-39# injectors and 155-190lph intank fuel pumps.

A standard chip will increase the timing but you don't need a standard chip in a s/c application, you need a custom tune. Also, if you have a supercharger you will have to run premium fuel, get used to it, it's the price you pay to have the power.

UNABONKED---You need to find a used Vortech or Paxton system, it will be a direct bolt on and then get some 30lbs injectors and a 80mm GT maf and have it dyno tuned and you'll be at the 200rwhp mark easily. Also you'll have tried and true tested S/C kits, Not Knightmare's as we call them. ;)

Later Doug.

Maybe Doug can answer this, but why were these run with the M62? I mean my GTP is a 3.8 and has the bigger M90 on it. Since the fords are 4.0s why not run the M90 instead of the smaller M62?

If I'm not mistaken these are on the nissan as previously mentioned, and they're also on the Chevy Cobalt SS which is a 4cyl motor.

Any reasons?

Yeah, i was directed to the M90 by the ranger sport group. I canciled my M62 purchase and am in the process of finding a qualified engine shop to come up with a workable solution.

My only real issue with an M90 is the height off the engine it would take... may mean i need a hood bulge.

As soon as I can find a guy that can weld a manifold adapter for an M90 i should be back on track.

So where did this end up? are these supercharger adapter kits still avalible?

i know this is old, but this exact kit and same pictures is on ebay right now, forgot the link but just search for "ohv supercharger" has the adaptor only plus a complete kit for sale.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NEW NOT REBUILT!!Eatom M62 . I'm the guy who sold the kit on ebay

Hi,
I had sold the kit on Ebay, user name Lowflyingbird. Price was $750. using Buy-it-now option. The buyer was most pleased. It included a brand new Eaton M62, and a sc to lower intake adapter, He fabricated the rest.
I still have two NEW units sitting around in my garage. I haven't gotten on my friends back about welding the adapters together. When done, I will sell them welded but unfinished. Meaning the surface the sc bolts down on will still have to be cut out. I dont have the time to do so any more.
If interested .Please contact me back. Price will be lower than what that one sold on ebay for since YOU will be finishing the adapter.
Thanks
ksilibovsky@hotmail.com

As for the user who asked why a M62 not a 90. Its because a M62 is sized better for the displacement of the motor,for a street application. Go to Eaton Magnusung online to see their charts. I know I spelled Magnusung wrong most likely.

Back