New Tires???? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Tires????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Having the 265/65 18 instead of the OEM 235/65 18, Is there any issue with the speedometer? If not, what do you think of 275/65 18?

With the 265/65 18 my speedoo is reading about 4 miles slow. not a big deal and now with gas at 4 bucks I have been driving at 55-60 and getting 20-21.7 MPG. I dont think the 275/65 18 will work.They are slightly bigger and the 265/65 just fit now, so any bigger would worry me!! Anyway thats my 2 cents. good luck to you and lets us know what ya do and how it works. :salute:SC

Wondering if those wheels from a newer sport trac would fit on my 02?

I would like to get new AT tires too. I want something good on ice and snow, with the severe snow markings. I am thinking about going with the 265/65/18 Goodyear Silent Armor, but I am concerned about the rubbing which someone here mentioned about this size. How bad do they rub on tight turning? Anything else I should be aware of?

Anyone want to buy my stock Mich with only 15,000 miles on them? LOL

You already bought 18" rims? or is that OEM?

Wow! Stock 18" rims, sweet... The tires you're looking to buy, IMO, are excellent! They were on my son's Sport... Very good decision.

I went with the Michelin LTX A/T 2 265/60/18'S and I am very happy with them. They rub when you make a full lock turn but it is very very miner here is a pic of my new wheels and tires.

Newwheelsandtires002.jpg

Newwheelsandtires001.jpg

I went with the Michelin LTX A/T 2 265/60/18'S and I am very happy with them. They rub when you make a full lock turn but it is very very miner here is a pic of my new wheels and tires.

Newwheelsandtires002.jpg

Newwheelsandtires001.jpg

Looks very nice! But that's to be expected from a fellow Mach 1 and Sport Trac owner! LOL

I like the tread pattern of those tires a lot but I would like to raise the truck slightly, and they don't offer any other sizes yet.

As far as the rubbing, those tires are only 0.50" taller diameter then stock, so is it the added width that causes them to rub? I am just trying to figure out how wide and how tall I can go before it becomes a problem.

They make them in 275/65/18 I think they will fit but they will rub I would not go any bigger then the 275's.

I had to replace my crappy Goodforoneyear Fortera HL last week at 21,000 miles. I have rotated and checked balance every oil change. Keep pressures around 38. I work as a tech at a Ford dealer.

I got a deal on some "gently used" F150 takeoffs at the Ford dealer. General Ameritrac TR 255/70/17 (equal to 31x10) Had less than 10 miles on them. They have a lot of those deals on F-150, F250, and Expedition tires. Some of the trucks get lift kits and 20" rims/bigger tires or 22's and lowered.

Not lifted, no scrubbing. And it looks a lot better!

2647532_46_full.jpg

Much better !!!!

New Tires

I replaced the OEM's with Michelin 275 65/18's

A little more height, nice ride and much nicer when driving through fields...

BTW I have a set of OEM Michelins with only 1200 miles for sale....Pittsburgh PA area

I replaced the OEM's with Michelin 275 65/18's

A little more height, nice ride and much nicer when driving through fields...

BTW I have a set of OEM Michelins with only 1200 miles for sale....Pittsburgh PA area

Do the tires ever rub the plastic wheel well liners? I have been trying to figure out how big I can go with new tires?

I am also concerned about rough terrain causing the shocks and springs to compress and the tire to move up in the wheel well and hit something, especially while turning sharp and hitting a bump at the same time.

Jonkolo:

Every now and then I get a small bit of rubbing, typically when I go too fast over a dip in the road, or when backing up with the wheels cut hard. Nothing too serious. When I do field driving I tend to go pretty slow and have never experienced an issue.

On my '01 Sport Trac I solved this by trimming the plastic. On the new one I'm looking into a slight (2") lift. I've researched the heck out of this and determined that I have 2 options, which I'll be meeting with a local shop to discuss tomorrow.

The older (i.e. pre 2006) models were a lot easier to lift...the newer ones more of a challenge with the 4-wheel independent suspension and new frame.

SG

You can anything to your ST that can be done to an '02-up Ex.
The eaiest option is either Roadbully's strut spacers or the ones made by Truxxx.
RB's can come in a variety of sizes, where as the Truxxx is only 2.5" front and 1.25" rear.
Not to awfully difficult, so don't let the shop tell you otherwise.
Someone who knows what their doing should be able to do the front and rear in under 3 hours with no problems.....

Tires

WVKARMA:

I plan to use Road Bully's spacers and should have them installed by the end of this month. I'm going to use the same size front and rear as I like the nose-down attitude OEM look versus the TRUXX spacers which essentially level the truck.

That should eliminate any rubbing issue...and if it doesn't I'll go to wheel spacers

SG, I ordered the Truxxx kit yesterday. I'm the opposite of you, where I like the truck looking leveled out. And RB has been a bit backed up on orders......
When I added spacers to a Frontier I ended up having to get a camber kit (b/c for some reason they no longer had adjustable bolts stock) to align it.
Anyways, what I'm getting at is, I don't know about the ST's, but figure the same will true after installing these kits.
The guys on the Explorer side haven't mentioned anything about having to have their rigs re-aligned, but I just seems that it would be a necessity.
When you get it installed be sure to put some pics up.
I will too, but would like to have some new shoes first..........that's a little while down the road.

Tires

Good points...thanks.

We can compare level versus nose-down once we both wrap it up (to each his own...or something like that)!

RB is backlogged around 2 weeks which means that you will beat me to it. I also plan to have my shop take the Trac directly from their place to the alignment shop same day.

I have the new shoes on the truck (275 65/R18) now just need the better wheel well fit!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You gonna get your spedo adjusted, or have you already?

I've been looking at 265's but I may look at 275's now that I know they should fit.
I have 17" rims though.

Back