• Register Today It's free!

new to ford

snake70

Reaction score
City, State
ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer
i have an explorer and it has as 5.0 in it andit has no balls i can get a 5.8 with 9k on it for 400 bucks with no intake. i want it in my truck what is needed to do it. new oil pan lightning intake better heads?custom hood?new computer?any positive advice is welcomed thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

For starters...

5.8L has a different intake manifold than the 5.0L. Trick flow makes the manifold you would need. click here.

Things I'm not 100% sure about:

I'm pretty sure the 5.8 is taller.

I think the motor mounts are the same.

Exhaust may need to be different.

The 5.8 might be wider.

Overall it would probably be a giant PITA. You might be better off modifying your 5.0L. The 5.0L is a great engine to mod.

You should also try the "search" feature. I typed in "5.0 to 5.8" (with out the quotes) and several threads came up. Good luck!

you will probbly have to deal with the EFI also. the 5.0 has alot of potental, just about anything that can be done to a 5.0 mustang can be done to the explorer, it would probbly be cheaper to mod the 5.0, just my opinion tho.

tho a 351 winsor would be sweet in the ex, I think it has been done either on here or the ranger forums

Back