new to offroading in a explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new to offroading in a explorer

You also have to consider the amount of experience someone has.. Quite a number of us have gone out on trail runs and we gain experience from each run.. After I put the 3" body lift in my truck, I still drive the same way I drove in the past, like a crazy maniac at times. I haven't rolled my truck cause I know my truck's limits and not to mention most of the rollovers were caused by tire blowouts & driver error. When someone tire blows out, they'll panic and jerk the steering wheel at a speed that is unsafe. Even driver error like over-correcting yourself will cause you to roll your truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dude, are you just yapping out of your a$$ or what?

This thread was about what to do with this guy's Explorer with $2000. I don't think buying a $500 welder is gonna fit into this plan.

Yea, get a pipe bender also.....................even though bending steal tube is difficult to do with a pipe bender, you should get one anyway. A good bender throws another $300-$500 into this whole $2000 equation.

And how did anyone get on the topic of bumpers? Bumpers are stupid when dealing with a project like this.

Oh, and after you get the $500 welder and $500 bender, then make a roll cage. Priced steel lately? The material for your bumper and cage will pretty much take up the rest of the budget. Good job, you spent $2000 on a welder, a bender, a bumper, and a cage..........................all of which you didn't want or need.

Body lifts raise the center of gravity? You are actually correct here, they do. But they raise it MUCH LESS than ANY suspension lift will. A body lift is your safest lift in regards to COG (ie, less likely to roll).

I have NO idea wtf you are talking about in regards to using Ranger chassis' versus going unibody. Whatever. Unibodys twist, and going with a full chassis puts a heavier load down low, reducing the height of the COG (ie, less likely to roll).

Roof structure.............yada yada yada

Once again, ignore all this crap. It is posted by some teenager with no experience in any of this. He is talking out of his crack, with NOTHING to support any of his opinions.

The problem with the ranger chasis is it is designed for the ranger. the explorer is much more heavy then the ranger. if you dont believe me go to fordexplorerrollover.com and most people cant make their own stuff cause they dont take the time to learn. if you spend the money on a welder and pipe bender and take the time to practice and learn it will save you alot of money and possibly make you some along the way.

and this advice was given by someone a little more experienced then yourself. someone who is fortunate enough to have the money to off road in a rig designed specificly for rock crawling. someone who has numerous other street legal and non street legal off road vehciles. and who has wheeled for many years. not from someone with a bone stock 95 explorer who has hardly done any serious off roading.

2ndLifeExploder said:
and this advice was given by someone a little more experienced then yourself. someone who is fortunate enough to have the money to off road in a rig designed specificly for rock crawling. someone who has numerous other street legal and non street legal off road vehciles. and who has wheeled for many years. not from someone with a bone stock 95 explorer who has hardly done any serious off roading.
Your dad? :rolleyes:

Dude, shut up! You are 18 years old...........no one is taking you seriously! Everyone here with half a brain knows you know nothing. Go away, go troll somewhere else! Have a good day!

That website is worthless, the data is skewed. And they make statements like this "The Ford Explorer and to a lesser degree, the Mercury Mountaineer and Mazda Navajo are in a class of their own when it comes to being the rollover kings in the SUV world. " Last I recall they're all exactly the same mechanically so why would they have less of a roll over rating? The Explorer has been and continues to be the #1 selling SUV on the market, there are many more of them on the road any any other SUV. It is of no suprise that there are going to be more tire blow outs and roll overs. It's simple math.. Also, I gave you the benefit of doubt before but you've said it twice now.. there are major differences between a pipe bender and a tubing bender.. for any fabrication you're going to do you'll want a tubing bender. Pipe benders arent much good for anything other than conduit.

2ndLifeExploder said:

I taken my then bone stock Explorer thru some trails in Rausch Creek, an ORV park in PA.. They were blue trails but I survived without any damage other than losing my tupperware. BTW, quit talking out of your a$$.. You don't have any proof of the rollover factors attributed with the Explorer and body lifts nor do you probably have any experience wheeling.

Doug said:
That website is worthless, the data is skewed. And they make statements like this "The Ford Explorer and to a lesser degree, the Mercury Mountaineer and Mazda Navajo are in a class of their own when it comes to being the rollover kings in the SUV world. " Last I recall they're all exactly the same mechanically so why would they have less of a roll over rating? The Explorer has been and continues to be the #1 selling SUV on the market, there are many more of them on the road any any other SUV. It is of no suprise that there are going to be more tire blow outs and roll overs. It's simple math.. Also, I gave you the benefit of doubt before but you've said it twice now.. there are major differences between a pipe bender and a tubing bender.. for any fabrication you're going to do you'll want a tubing bender. Pipe benders arent much good for anything other than conduit.
its funny how when a website is against you it is worthless. and i meant to correct that last time but got side lined. i did mean a tubing bender.

2ndLifeExploder said:
if you dont believe me go to fordexplorerrollover.com
Lol. You get your information from a site run by and entirely paid for by personal injury attorneys? Yup, that must be unbiased! :rolleyes:

With appologies to the handful of legitimate (Firestone tread separation) victims they may have helped, you need to realize that site exists for the explicit purpose of allowing one law firm to exploit bad industry PR by helping idiot drivers blame manufacturers for their own stupidity. SOME Fords are really bad on the highway, that's a given. Most of them however are just fine in the hands of anyone who isn't a complete moron driver.

2ndLifeExploder said:
no actualy. but my dad still knows more then your ignorant ass.
It's funny how people who don't know dick always have some magical knowledge source to draw from instead of actually having any facts or first hand experience.

Hey, if you want to ignore the facts thats fine. It appears that website is set up by a personal injury lawyer.. Hrm, it would seem to me he would have an interest in negative publicity in regards to Explorers. If Explorer's are so unsafe I suggest you sell yours and buy a Jeep.

yes i have driven a car. i even have my own explorer. whoopty doo. and my first hand experience comes from wheeling and fabing with a financialy fortunate friend of mine who has the money to spend most of his time researching off roading from books the internet and first hand experience.

2ndLifeExploder said:
yes i have driven a car. i even have my own explorer. whoopty doo. and my first hand experience comes from wheeling and fabing with a financialy fortunate friend of mine who has the money to spend most of his time researching off roading from books the internet and first hand experience.

Sure you did.. :D

The navajo and mountaineer are basically rebadged explorers, the reason they roll over less...there aren't nearly as many of them on the road. The explorer is the number 1 selling suv, pretty reasonable to think that that fact means more expo's rolling than other models. The site is by a lawyer...i'm pretty sure he's made an butt load of money with that line which would probably skew his claims. I dont' think anyone here is saying they don't roll over, but most of those rollovers are the fault of the driver overcorrecting, of course it can happen even to a good driver. Yes firestone tires had a problem...from what iv'e learned the problem was a bunch of scab workers who didn't know what they were doing and made bad tires. Yeah i'm alittle bias about my expo, i've seen what it and others with few mods can do offroad and they will impress even in stock shoes.

later
CP

By the way, I agree that some Explorers are extremely dangerous when driven like sportscars on the highway. DUH!

But in almost every single rollover you'll hear about on or offroad, it's still the driver's fault. The only reason you roll ANY vehicle without extreme unknown circumstance is because you don't know that vehicle's capabilities (or are just a poor driver)... period. You can have the worst POS engineering nightmare car in the world, and it's still your responsibility to know it's limitations before putting it in compromising situations.

yes that websites opinion may be biased but this forum is equaly biased. im just trying to even it out a little bit. not be like everyone else who thinks their explorer is the greatest off road vehicle produced. if i could afford it i would have an fj40 land cruiser or an fj45 short bed land cruiser pickup. but i cant and i have my ex. so im going to make the most of it. im not a big fan of taking my car to the mechanic so i came to this forum as a refference to make my life a little easier. i might not know everythinng about exploreres but i have an unbiased opinion towards them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

and yes i agree. no vehicle is going to roll its self over. so you can blame it on what ever you like. so its drivers error. that still doesnt make the vehicle any safer once it does roll over.

Back