• Register Today It's free!

new tow rating?

blackbeauty

Reaction score
City, State
canastota,new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 sport
I recently did the whole 4 door leaf swap with war153's. does this increase my tow rating? if so what is it. btw what exactly was the tow rating from factory with the bumper and a class three hitch if i decide. thank you. oh yeah i have a 98 sport 4x4 automatic trans.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope. Changing springs alone doesn't change the tow rating. I personally wouldn't want to drag any more than the existing tow rating anyways. My boat was 4650 lbs loaded. The 3 mile trip to and from the launch ramp was not fun.

225714.jpg

-Joe

Good lord, it looks like that boat is about to eat the Explorer.

Exactly my point.... the boat was 250 lbs below the weight rating of the truck (4900 lbs). I would not recommend carrying anything close to that with an explorer.... it just can't handle it well.

-Joe

so what is the tow rating anyways, you know , for sh*ts and giggles?

Oh, sorry.... forgot to answer that directly.....

For the SOHC 4x4 Sport, my manual lists it as being 4900 lbs. IMHO, anything over 3000 is pushin' it.

For the record, the pic above was my rig. As it tipped the scales that day, I was within 250 lbs of the max trailer rating, and within 50 lbs of the GCWR due to the weight of the Explorer. Again, NOT a combination I would recommend towing cross country with. I had a 3-mile trek to the boat launch, straight, flat, mostly level ground, and the max speed limit was 35 mph over the entire route.

-Joe

Back