New Toy | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Toy

For future reference- oven cleaner saves tons of time to remove the peeling paint. It smells horrible thou, I seen someone mention using something w/ a citrus smell that worked well to but can't remember

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That interior looks fantastic! A-1 job.

That interior looks fantastic! A-1 job.

Thanks Al. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. When I do the door pulls I plan to clear coat them for extra durability. BTW, did you see my offer on page 9, post #175 ?

Thanks Al. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. When I do the door pulls I plan to clear coat them for extra durability. BTW, did you see my offer on page 9, post #175 ?

I did. I've been mulling it over. As much as I would love to own a truck that I know has been treated with such respect and love, I'm really looking for a 4wd truck. And I'm thinking 04-05 preferably. But you'll have no problem selling the ST, it's a work of art now!

I did. I've been mulling it over. As much as I would love to own a truck that I know has been treated with such respect and love, I'm really looking for a 4wd truck. And I'm thinking 04-05 preferably. But you'll have no problem selling the ST, it's a work of art now!

I understand. When I lived in CT I always bought 4x4 trucks to deal with the winter weather.

Sunday Update:
I started on the front door pulls today. Ford, in there infinite wisdom, attached the front 2 Phillips screws for the door pull before sonic welding the plastic piece to the door panel. I eventually got the screws out using a screw driver bit and a small wrench, then I had to fight a one-way push clip. Once off, I gave the pull the same treatment as the center console & radio bezel and 4 coats of silver paint. It came out great. Before reinstalling the pull, I drilled 2 holes on the back of the interior door panel (that don't show) to be able to use a screw driver to install the front 2 screws. When I do the next door, I'll drill the holes first. 1 down 3 to go.

It may be a bit hard to see the difference unless you tip your screen a little, but in the first pic most of the paint is worn off the pull.

Before:
115_0086_zpsii7w44ze.jpg

After:
115_0085_zps4ixr69ic.jpg

I decided not to bother with the clear coat, as the paint seems very durable w/out it.

Monday:
3 down, 1 to go... Fronts are much easier to get the screws out/in after drilling the two holes. Rears are a piece of cake. No hidden screws or push-on retainers. It's now pouring rain so no more painting (or cutting grass) today. I will still need to paint the instrument cluster trim's center to make it all match, but it really brightens up the dull gray interior.

Tuesday:
Finished painting all 4 door pulls. It's all back together now and looks good. As soon as I buy another can of paint (and find the ambition) I'll remove the instrument cluster trim and paint the silver part of that. Then I can remove the lens, polish it and clean out the dirt and dead bugs. I'd bought some paint stripper at the Home Depot the other day to remove the spilled paint and mastic from the bed liner, but it's too strong. I tested it on a tiny spot and it started eating into the ABS plastic. I'll have to return it and get another can of stripper from NAPA. That worked great and didn't bother the plastic. I found a genuine FORD logo transponder key blank on Amazon for just $10 w/free shipping, so I'm going to order that in preparation for my trip to the dealership for programming and recalls. I also ordered some new remote shells on eBay for $2.48 for two, so I ordered those.

Major things remaining to buy/do:
- Body mount bushings
- Driver's seat bottom leather

Plus a bunch of minor stuff. Then this puppy will be ready to keep, or sell on, and this saga will come to an end. For the most part, it's been a fun project.

I have to say your progress has come along way and fast at that. I wish I could say the same- I just can't find enough time to do everything I need to. I try a little here and there but that only leaves me with multiple projects on the shelf unfinished

Good job, looks great

I have to say your progress has come along way and fast at that. I wish I could say the same- I just can't find enough time to do everything I need to. I try a little here and there but that only leaves me with multiple projects on the shelf unfinished

Good job, looks great

Thanks. As far as having the time, it helps to be retired and not have a job to have to go to every day and having grown children, not too many other demands are made of my time. If I still worked, I probably wouldn't have even considered starting this project.

Parts:
Just ordered my Prothane 6 116 body mount bushing kit off Amazon. With my Amazon points I paid $70. I also ordered a lock clip for the tonneau cover.

That's a sweet price, saves you another 30-50$ off the top

Thursday:
Pulled off the instrument cluster trim and got the center painted silver (had just enough paint left). Removed the instrument cluster lens, cleaned out the dirt and waxed the lens. Got everything back together and now it all matches. I'll post a link to a picture later.

My neoprene body mount bushing set should be here by next Wed/Thru. Maybe tomorrow, or over the weekend, I'll pull the front seats out so I can get at the bolts and clean the floor. I don't think I'll have much trouble with the body mount bolts, as being a GA all its life there's no rust anywhere. I plan to grease the neoprene bushings prior to installation to minimize squeaking.

Nice work koda. Any easy way to remove the clear lens to clean inside? Tried years ago but found many parts needed to be removed.

Certain you've studied the body mount threads, but a strong impact wrench and torch to soften the thread locked bolts is a great help.

Nice work koda. Any easy way to remove the clear lens to clean inside? Tried years ago but found many parts needed to be removed.

Certain you've studied the body mount threads, but a strong impact wrench and torch to soften the thread locked bolts is a great help.

I have a good impact wrench and a MAP torch for the body mount bolts. I think only the 4 under the cabin need replacing right now.

There's no easy way to remove the lens, but you don't need to completely remove the cluster to get the lens off. If you want to know how I did it, read post #197 . Once the cluster trim piece is off it's easy.

Painted instrument cluster trim pics:
115_0088_zpscy1dql7g.jpg

115_0087_zps01hxezcz.jpg

To remove the instrument cluster lens:

1. Remove the 2 screws from the radio bezel and pull the bezel (w/radio attached) out about 1-1.5 inches.

2. Remove the 3 screws on top of the cluster trim.

3. Remove the 4 screws from the bottom of plastic knee bolster trim piece (2 on the hood release handle) and remove the plastic knee bolster trim panel. There are 2 metal clips (same as on radio bezel) in the upper corners.

4. Remove the 2 (8mm?) upper bolts from the metal knee bolster support, This will allow you to pull the metal panel down enough to remove the 2 lower instrument cluster trim screws (Tip: use a magnet to not drop them).

5. Starting from the right side, pop the cluster trim retaining clips (same as used on radio bezel) out of the dash. Then pop out the left side clips and the cluster trim can be maneuvered over the steering column. You don't need to remove the connectors from the headlight and dimmer switches. Just rotate the cluster trim counter clockwise, out of your way.

6. There are 4 black screws which hold the cluster to the dash. Remove the lower 2 and loosen the upper 2.

7. Around the perimeter of the cluster you'll see (7 I think) small gold colored torques screws. Remove the top 3, 2 at the sides, then tip the cluster upward to get at the 2 center screws. Again, use a magnet to catch the screws.

Then the lens with gauge trim pulls right off. I washed it in the kitchen sink with warm water and dish soap. Dried it with some lint-free paper towels, then waxed it with cleaner wax to clean it and get the scratches out. Reassemble in reverse order.

Came out looking like new and no more dead bugs!

Was going to ask the same about that lens, thanks on the instructions. Wish I asked sooner to ask for pictures along the way- who doesn't like picture instructionals? Lol. But the step by step will work as you follow along.

Is it to much work to remove the light grey trim piece around the gauges behind the lens?

With your freshly painted radio bezel, your climate control really stands out, you thought of a white overlay to match that instrument cluster? It would really make it pop and not look out of place

Was going to ask the same about that lens, thanks on the instructions. Wish I asked sooner to ask for pictures along the way- who doesn't like picture instructionals? Lol. But the step by step will work as you follow along.

Is it to much work to remove the light grey trim piece around the gauges behind the lens?

With your freshly painted radio bezel, your climate control really stands out, you thought of a white overlay to match that instrument cluster? It would really make it pop and not look out of place

The gauge trim piece is glued/sonic welded to the clear lens. I didn't try to remove it, so I don't know that you could get it off. A white overlay would look nice on the HVAC control panel, but I don't know if anyone offer's one. I think the camera flash makes the silver panel stick out more than it does in normal light.

BTW, I also have instructions written out on removing the instrument cluster If you ever need them. That evolves a bit more work. Sorry, I never think to take pictures while I'm working on something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The gauge trim piece is glued/sonic welded to the clear lens. I didn't try to remove it, so I don't know that you could get it off. A white overlay would look nice on the HVAC control panel, but I don't know if anyone offer's one. I think the camera flash makes the silver panel stick out more than it does in normal light.

BTW, I also have instructions written out on removing the instrument cluster If you ever need them. That evolves a bit more work. Sorry, I never think to take pictures while I'm working on something.

I used whiteguages.net I bought 1 and it wasn't an exact match up so never installed it then they emailed me asking about my purchase and satisfaction so I told them (wasn't expecting anything because after all it was on me). They offered to render 1 if I sent them the plate and I pay shipping. They ended up rendering an exact match installed and covered return shipping. Imo it turned out great

Been told that it doesn't show as an available option on the website but if they rendered it once (they had to of keep the "copy", to do it again) I would call and ask. There maybe other companies but I'm not sure. Cost was either 15-20$

Edit: I actually can't find an installed pic during the day, so I take a shot of it tomorrow. This is lit up thou to show it matches and lines up with the settings/knob adjustments
6CB0E625-2E84-49CD-943D-FC63CBC651BE_zpswnuumezr.jpg

Back