1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

New Wheels and tires - Narrowing up the stance

Discussion in 'Tires & Wheels' started by Paraphoe, March 15, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Paraphoe

Paraphoe Go big or go home Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Willow Grove, PA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '97 XLT
      Hey guys. Since I finally finished my Superlift after what feels like 14 years, I'm ready for some new wheels and tires.

What I've wanted to do for a while is narrow the stance and bring the tires in tighter to the fenders. I've grown a bit weary of the sloppy look of the tires 2 inches or so outside of the fender wells, so the goal is to "pull" them in even with the body. You can see like 900 pictures below of how it currently sits.

My question is what is the best way to go about this? I'm currently running 12.50 wide Goodyear Wranglers at what I believe it 3.75" backspacing, and planning to move to 11.50 wide tires with 4" BS.

Do you think this will accomplish what I'm shooting for? Appreciate any thoughts / input.

Thanks...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 96firephoenix

96firephoenix Active Member

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      2002 Ford Explorer XLT
      You could always install fender flares to match the body to the tires.

Going to be a hell of a lot cheaper than new tires/wheels.

4. RangerX

RangerX Elite Ranger Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Omao, Kauai
      '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
      Your planned change in BS is only a quarter inch, so unless you're also changing from an 8" rim to 7", or from 10" to 8", the BS change won't really do anything worthwhile, even with the 1" narrower tire.
      I agree with the flare option.

5. Paraphoe

City, State:
      Willow Grove, PA
      '97 XLT
      Thanks guys, but no interest in going wider with flares at ALL. The goal is to keep it clean and narrow it up.

Could I go 4.25 BS on a 7'' rim? My plan was to keep the rim width the same and just go narrower on the tire (12.50 to 11.50). Any major drawbacks to a 7'' rim (if I could even find one out there...)?

6. Paraphoe

City, State:
      Willow Grove, PA
      '97 XLT
      Alright, so I'm ready to pull the trigger here. Would the following combo work? It may not pull the tires in as much as I'd like, but I just wanna make sure the tires will fit the rims before I order:

16x8 wheels, 285-75-R16 tires. I think it's fine but can't hurt to double check.