New Wheels for my 4th Gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Wheels for my 4th Gen

I'm planning on ordering a set of KMC XD301's for my 06 XLT. I wanted to confirm that the fitment will work before I pull the trigger.
kmcxd_xd301_b_pdpfull.jpg

Specs are..
16x8
5x114.3
0 offset
4.5" backspace

I was planning on using the current 235/70/16 Cooper A/T tires but I'm afraid the aggressive wheel setup may look off without some meatier tires so I may upgrade to 255/60/17.

Will the wheel specs fit without rubbing?
And opinions on running the stock tire size with an aggressive wheel setup?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those will stick out quite a bit. Spec is between 45mm and 25mm ,or 22mm depending where you get the info from, offset for an 8 inch rim. I run 25mm on 8 inch wide rims with my summer tires and they run flush with the oem fender flairs. my factory rims with winter tires around 44mm I think.

Those will stick out quite a bit. Spec is between 45mm and 25mm ,or 22mm depending where you get the info from, offset for an 8 inch rim. I run 25mm on 8 inch wide rims with my summer tires and they run flush with the oem fender flairs. my factory rims with winter tires around 44mm I think.

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to have any pics of your setup?

I'd also like to see pics I'm kinda shopping for some wheels. I'm trying to stick with 17x8 or 17x8.5 and trying to stick with an offset between 15 and 25mm. It should keep the back of the wheel about the same as stock while placing the additional width out towards the fender.

I found another set that are 16x8 with a +13 offset. OEM offset is +45 so if I subtract the +13 there's a 32mm difference which is roughly 1 1/4 inches wider than stock. But since the backspace is 5" on the aftermarket wheels and OEM is 4.5" that should bring the wheel in a 1/4" more on a wheel that's one inch wider than stock. So in the end the wheels should sit 1 inch wider than stock.

Can anybody please tell me if my calculations sound right?

I found another set that are 16x8 with a +13 offset. OEM offset is +45 so if I subtract the +13 there's a 32mm difference which is roughly 1 1/4 inches wider than stock. But since the backspace is 5" on the aftermarket wheels and OEM is 4.5" that should bring the wheel in a 1/4" more on a wheel that's one inch wider than stock. So in the end the wheels should sit 1 inch wider than stock.

Can anybody please tell me if my calculations sound right?
It doesn't quite work that way. Offset is a measurement of the distance of the mounting face to the imaginary center line of the wheel. A 17x7.5 +42 will not sit in the same location as a 17x8 +42. Backspace and offset are just two different ways of measuring the same thing.

It doesn't quite work that way. Offset is a measurement of the distance of the mounting face to the imaginary center line of the wheel. A 17x7.5 +42 will not sit in the same location as a 17x8 +42. Backspace and offset are just two different ways of measuring the same thing.

So if my OEM wheels are 16x7 +44 with a 4.5" backspace. How much further out will a 16x8 +13 with 5" backspace sit compared to the OEM wheels?

My other option is a 16x7 +38 with 5.5" backspace wheel. But this is where I get confused, if backspace and offset are 2 different ways of measuring the same thing how is there only a 6mm (roughly a quarter inch) difference between the offsets of the OEM and aftermarket wheel but there's an inch difference in backspace?

The 16x8 +13 would stick out over 1.7 inches more than the stock wheel you referred to. Also the offset you claim cannot have the listed backspace. A 7 inch wide wheel with a +44 offset has a backspace of 5.75 inches.

Backspace and offset measures the exact same thing, distance from the mounting surface to a particular point. Backspace measures it from the back of the wheel whereas offset measures to the imaginary center line of the wheel.

^Thanks, that makes sense. Now I just have to decide if 1.7 inches is too much...

Back