• Register Today It's free!

Newbie needs advice.

J Allen

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
Hello everyone. Recently bought a 2004 Explorer XLT 4.0 to tow my SCCA ITA racecar.
Weak battery died so I replaced battery but now won't start. Electrics (dash, windows, locks) work but no ignition. Code scan indicated key fob needed reprogramming. Did that, cleared code, but still no ignition. Can hear starter solenoid and relays clicking but still nothing. Another code scan came up clean.
Any ideas out there? I'd be grateful for some good advice.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody.

JAllen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanx but it won't crank at all. I've been told it may have something to do with the PATS system but I have no idea how to diagnose, or better yet, fix the dang thing. Somebody told me to detach both pos and neg battery cables for 48 hrs. but this doesn't seem to make sense. Before the old battery totally died I was able to jump start, but then it wouldn't jump start at all, not even crank. Then a bought the new battery and still won't crank even though the new battery tested at 920cca. I can jump the starter solenoid to make it crank but it still won't fire. So it would seem my problem has something to do with the electronics.
Any advice out there? My daily driver is crunched and I'm getting damn tired of walking in the cold. My new year is not off to an auspicious start.

Thanx,
JAllen

Will try that tomorrow. Thanx a bunch.

Back