Newbie on this forum with a question for you | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie on this forum with a question for you

BerndM

Reaction score
10 miles NE of Disneyland in Southern California
City, State
Placentia, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Explorer Platinum
Hello
My name is Bernd and I just bought a Ford Certified used 2017 Explorer Sport 4WD.
I love this vehicle and after 2 earlier Expeditions and about 5 Ford vans this explorer is a true sports car in comparison. Never having had anything with a 6 speed Automatic, I have noticed an occasional quirk. On occasion, mostly when shifting out of reverse and then accelerating normally in "D" mode, I feel a "buffeting" like sensation, almost as if the engine is smoothly bucking or hesitating. It's hard to describe accurately but that is about the best I can do. There are no weird sounds while this is happening and it only lasts a few seconds. Since it doesn't do it all the time, I feel it would be a waste of time to take it to the dealer because I suspect they'll find nothing. No codes show up on my code reader.
Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Here is my Explorer
20180522_145734.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Bernd.:wave:
Nice looking vehicle. Very nice picture as well. :thumbsup:

Peter

How quickly are you going from reverse to drive to hitting the gas?

Does this happen only after you've started the Explorer or does it happen as well when you've been driving, go to 'R' and then back to 'D'? The ABS performs a 'self check' when started and you put it in drive. In most vehicles it is barely perceptible and should be seamless.

Peter

Never really thought about it but I'm guessing about 5 seconds or so. Just like I always have with all my previous automatic cars.

I've run into something similar on different vehicles in the last few years. Only the "drive by wire" like we have now. I asked about it once and was told that basically, it needs a little time to 'catch up' with the various actions. I would think it would be faster to process, but apparently they're not using the fastest available processors. The same thing happens if you're slowing down or coasting approaching a red light that turns green, and you suddenly hit the gas; it takes it a couple of seconds to go.

Even on the '18 Expedition I've been driving this week, it does it. Very little difference from my '11 Kia Optima that I first encountered it on. My '13 & '15 Explorers too.

I’m sure the lag is to smooth out driving experience, and had nothing to do with processing speed. The processor scan time has to be in the milliseconds, unless they are using tech from 20 years ago. Actually, knowing Ford.............

Happens to me all the time... it kind of surges or bucks on and off when you are shifting out of reverse into drive after parked. Seems to disappear shortly after startup. It seems worse with a warm engine. Just a quirk IMO, perhaps throttle programming after startup.

Happens to me all the time... it kind of surges or bucks on and off when you are shifting out of reverse into drive after parked. Seems to disappear shortly after startup. It seems worse with a warm engine. Just a quirk IMO, perhaps throttle programming after startup.
That doesn't sound right to me. I've never had that issue.

Peter

I've noticed this "surging" on both my 2016 and 2018 Platinum models, each equipped with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine. I believe it's related to condensation collecting within the intercooler. Online, you can find lots of info about this issue -- especially with F150 trucks with the 3.5 Ecoboost.

I consider the "surging" an annoying characteristic of this engine, and I just live with it. Not a big deal for me.

Mine does this occasionally. But, it doesn't do it in what I would call accelerating normally. I've never had it happen this way. It only happens when I first shift into D and then give it little to no gas. Then, when I do give it some gas the issue goes away. So, the issue only lasts a few seconds of a few hundred feet.

The first couple of times the car did this, it concerned me. Now, I just figure it's one of the characteristics of the engine and pay it no mind.

......The first couple of times the car did this, it concerned me. Now, I just figure it's one of the characteristics of the engine and pay it no mind.
I have had 2 vehicles with the 3.5L Ecoboost engine and neither displayed that characteristic.

Peter

Mine does this occasionally. But, it doesn't do it in what I would call accelerating normally. I've never had it happen this way. It only happens when I first shift into D and then give it little to no gas. Then, when I do give it some gas the issue goes away. So, the issue only lasts a few seconds of a few hundred feet.

The first couple of times the car did this, it concerned me. Now, I just figure it's one of the characteristics of the engine and pay it no mind.

Agree 100%

If it's an engine characteristic, maybe I should schedule a dealer visit and complain that I don't have it.:D Are you sure you're not talking about the ABS self check?

Peter

If it's an engine characteristic, maybe I should schedule a dealer visit and complain that I don't have it.:D Are you sure you're not talking about the ABS self check?

Peter

Ha! Maybe just a portion of the Sports and Platinums are affected? It's most definitely not anything to do with brakes, it feels like it's throttle, air, or fuel. Only happens in first gear (which makes any change in engine speed quite noticeable) and only before any significant throttle is applied after startup. I notice it more if the wheels are turned because the vehicle has more resistance. It's all pretty subtle.

I've felt my 14 do this once in a while. Shortly after starting, put into drive(allow to fully shift into gear), just barely touching the pedal and get a few slight surges and it's gone. I think(opinion) it's tied to the throttle by wire and communication between the pedal and the throttle body. Not enough for me to bring it in and not consistent enough either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've felt my 14 do this once in a while. Shortly after starting, put into drive(allow to fully shift into gear), just barely touching the pedal and get a few slight surges and it's gone. I think(opinion) it's tied to the throttle by wire and communication between the pedal and the throttle body. Not enough for me to bring it in and not consistent enough either.
Every time when you start the vehicle and put it in drive, the ABS self check does its thing within about 10 feet of driving. In most cases it is seamless but several members have reported hearing it on occasion.

Peter

Back