Newbie seeking input for Expedition - Overland Vehicle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie seeking input for Expedition - Overland Vehicle

halfbreedinkc

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 4WD
Just joined about a week ago for the purpose of picking y'all's brains.

I'm looking to build a MILD overlanding/expedition rig - nothing extreme, no rock-crawling, uber-hardcore offroading, more along the lines of back trails, logging/fire roads, etc., want it to be as self-sufficient as possible without going overboard, may be out for a week to 10 days at most.

I know the above is more than a little vague, but I haven't nailed down specifics at this point, for example, camping out of it = not sure about a RTT or an offroad trailer, amongst other things.

I've owned several Jeeps, 3 XJ's (not a fan of the unibody) and 1 TJ (too small - no cargo space), and looking for something different. I'm down to the following;

1) Ranger Supercab
2) Explorer 2 or 4 door
(might also consider an F150)

I've been researching for some time and understand the Rangers & Ex's are solidly built (body on frame), and there were so many of them made parts will be readily available for years to come (U-Pull-It is your friend), where the XJ supply is slowly beginning to dry up (not much...yet). The reason I began considering the Explorer is related to my recent research, they seem to be a pretty beefy platform from the factory, even more so than the Ranger.

Will lift it, but it'll be mild, no more than 4", less than that more than likely - my biggest aim is to beef up the suspension to make it as bullet proof as possible, and yet keep it within factory parameters, so in a catastrophic failure I can scavenge parts from another vehicle and limp home (something you can't do when you start cutting and welding and modding).

Other requirements are open - 2WD vs. 4WD is one for example. 4WD would be optimal, but isn't a deal breaker. Engine is another that's open, as is transmission.

So, thoughts? Input? Don't hold back, all opinions from you folks "in the know" is why I'm here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I've added to your Title and moved your thread to a sub-Forum where it should have a better chance of being seen..:D

..Please add your location as others in your area will jump in to help you (for your future topics too) if they know you are close by..;)

..Take a look around this sub-forum while you are waiting for replies as you may find several things to add to your vehicle for your trips...

..As for vehicles, I like the 90-97 Rangers, the 91-94 Mazda Navajo, and the 91-94 Explorer as they all share the same suspension parts if they have the 4.0 motor...Totally interchangeable...(The 2.3L and 3.0L Rangers of 90-97 may have "Hybrid" Dana 28/35 parts, not preferred but can be swapped)

..The suspension parts for these vehicles can easily be found all over the country in junkyards and the over the counter parts are generally in stock in major chain parts stores..

Welcome. I'm getting into some overlanding myself. I haven't actually done any overnighters yet- just day trips, but this summer for sure. Even planning a 675 mile trip from the southern border of Colorado to the its northern border- on as much dirt as possible.

And my day trips have amounted to some fairly decent trails. My Explorer (see link in my signature- it starts out tame, but starts to pick up around post 100 or so) has impressed me and those that I wheel with.

As far as vehicles go, I like the 1st/2nd gen 4 door Explorer as a platform. It's small yet it's big. It can carry 4 people with ease- or 2 people and a lot of gear (although not seperated from the people). It's powerful enough to haul itself, even loaded down, up a steep mountain. The rear axle (Ford 8.8) is a highly sought after axle- there's a member on here that pays the bills by cruising the pick'n'pulls for these axles and puts them under Jeeps. About 15 billion were produced (slight exaggeration) so parts are plentiful (and usually inexpensive). One downside is that there is little aftermarket support so upgrade parts are hard to come by- but you can do a lift (suspension and/or body) easily enough to clear 33-35" tires.

Personally, I'd go 4wd. The places I've gone, while possible in 2wd, having 4wd makes it easier. If you go 2wd, definitely get some kind of locker/limited slip. I've been eyeing up the Detroit TruTrac myself.

Check out this site for some Explorer/Ranger overlanding builds:
http://www.safaripacific.com/

And this site produces some great overlanding videos:
http://www.safaripacific.com/
This summer they are heaidng to Alaska and the Yukon for 60 days straight. They've hooked up some amazing sponsors and have a lot of neat parts and toys.

Toyotas (Tacos and Land Cruisers) are popular choice worldwide for overlanding. I've heard a few people locally that have said that's why they choose to run a Toyota- so if they are overlanding in South America, the parts should be available if needed. But let's be real, their rigs will never leave the country. Aftermarket parts are certainly more readily available though.

Check out the build threads for many of the trucks on this site.

Those threads are full of information as to what-to-do and how-to-do-it.

You will also get an idea of the capability you want to build to.

Welcome. I'm getting into some overlanding myself. I haven't actually done any overnighters yet- just day trips, but this summer for sure. Even planning a 675 mile trip from the southern border of Colorado to the its northern border- on as much dirt as possible.

And my day trips have amounted to some fairly decent trails. My Explorer (see link in my signature- it starts out tame, but starts to pick up around post 100 or so) has impressed me and those that I wheel with.

As far as vehicles go, I like the 1st/2nd gen 4 door Explorer as a platform. It's small yet it's big. It can carry 4 people with ease- or 2 people and a lot of gear (although not seperated from the people). It's powerful enough to haul itself, even loaded down, up a steep mountain. The rear axle (Ford 8.8) is a highly sought after axle- there's a member on here that pays the bills by cruising the pick'n'pulls for these axles and puts them under Jeeps. About 15 billion were produced (slight exaggeration) so parts are plentiful (and usually inexpensive). One downside is that there is little aftermarket support so upgrade parts are hard to come by- but you can do a lift (suspension and/or body) easily enough to clear 33-35" tires.

Personally, I'd go 4wd. The places I've gone, while possible in 2wd, having 4wd makes it easier. If you go 2wd, definitely get some kind of locker/limited slip. I've been eyeing up the Detroit TruTrac myself.

Toyotas (Tacos and Land Cruisers) are popular choice worldwide for overlanding. I've heard a few people locally that have said that's why they choose to run a Toyota- so if they are overlanding in South America, the parts should be available if needed. But let's be real, their rigs will never leave the country. Aftermarket parts are certainly more readily available though.

2TT - Thanks for the reply! You read my mind, that's exactly what I was thinking, even the part about Toyo's...and I don't plan on ever leaving the CONUS, so I'm not worried about parts availability in some south American village.

Check out the build threads for many of the trucks on this site.

Those threads are full of information as to what-to-do and how-to-do-it.

You will also get an idea of the capability you want to build to.

Been doing that very thing for a couple weeks now. It's "funny", I never considered the Explorer as an Expo/Overland rig until I started reading up on various vehicles on this site, always thought of them as penultimate soccer-mom SUV...but after what I've seen here, for my eventual plan/goal, they're perfect. The only thing I was looking at the Ranger for was having that bed for hauling, but heck, the Ex will pull a trailer (w/the right motor of course) so why not have the amenities when off-road ya know?

One silly question, were the second gen Ex's ever built with manual windows and door locks or where they, like so many SUV's, only equipped with power DL/WIN's?

No power windows.... hmmm..... I'd imagine they were offered, but they were the exception and not the rule. Probably in some stripped down fleet verison.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you want power locks/windows? They do add one more thing to go wrong- but even crank windows aren't always without fault.

And don't forget that you can regear the axles to further increase pulling power- or regear so the increase in tire size doesn't adversely effect pulling power. Mine started out with 3.55 gears- which might be OK for towing light loads on pavement with stock tires, but once I upgraded to 33" tires, those gears would have been horrible. I now have 4.56 gears- which is approximately the same as a stock sized tire Explorer with 4.10 gears. And 4.88 or even 5.10 is available (but unless you go with a really BIG tire, I'd stay away from those).

I would build a 4 door 1st gen and if I did it all over again as an overland build I would pretty much build it like my current 91 (see registry link in my signature)

Basically 91-94 4 door. Manual trans and t-case, 31"-32" tires w/ 4.10 gears, bumpers (rear with tire and 2 Jerry can capability), sliders, 2 front and 1 rear auxillary light, 2" suspension, 1" body lift with long arms and GOOD shocks.

I have done several week long trips and many more 3 day trips all out of my Explorer and have covered thousands of miles of dirt roads. It works great, rides great and gets good mileage.

One silly question, were the second gen Ex's ever built with manual windows and door locks or where they, like so many SUV's, only equipped with power DL/WIN's?

Not a silly qustion at all.
On several Ex's I've owned it was the power windows that gave me the most electrical problems along with power locks. If I had a choice to do any Trail rig it would never, never would I have those trouble producing items. Windows that go down and won't go up, locks that locked when they shouldn't have.
Just search this site about window problems.
Is this a concern of why you asked that question?

No power windows.... hmmm..... I'd imagine they were offered, but they were the exception and not the rule. Probably in some stripped down fleet verison.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you want power locks/windows? They do add one more thing to go wrong- but even crank windows aren't always without fault.

And don't forget that you can regear the axles to further increase pulling power- or regear so the increase in tire size doesn't adversely effect pulling power. Mine started out with 3.55 gears- which might be OK for towing light loads on pavement with stock tires, but once I upgraded to 33" tires, those gears would have been horrible. I now have 4.56 gears- which is approximately the same as a stock sized tire Explorer with 4.10 gears. And 4.88 or even 5.10 is available (but unless you go with a really BIG tire, I'd stay away from those).

I agree on the windows - it's not so much power vs. manual except for the cost of repairs...that's all.

I would build a 4 door 1st gen and if I did it all over again as an overland build I would pretty much build it like my current 91 (see registry link in my signature)

Basically 91-94 4 door. Manual trans and t-case, 31"-32" tires w/ 4.10 gears, bumpers (rear with tire and 2 Jerry can capability), sliders, 2 front and 1 rear auxillary light, 2" suspension, 1" body lift with long arms and GOOD shocks.

I have done several week long trips and many more 3 day trips all out of my Explorer and have covered thousands of miles of dirt roads. It works great, rides great and gets good mileage.

That is one impressive rig you have...wanna get rid of it? LOL, seriously tho, I'm kinda leaning towards the first gen., although the second gen's would work as well.

Not a silly qustion at all.
On several Ex's I've owned it was the power windows that gave me the most electrical problems along with power locks. If I had a choice to do any Trail rig it would never, never would I have those trouble producing items. Windows that go down and won't go up, locks that locked when they shouldn't have.
Just search this site about window problems.
Is this a concern of why you asked that question?

That's exactly why. I went through the same thing on older XJ, and dayum those window motors are expensive, so are the lock solenoids.

2TT...that's a nice looking rig - great build!

Lemme pose a couple more dumb questions;

1) How's the 4WD system on the second gen's? Solid? Reliable?

2) How's the number of first gen's holding up out there? Here in the K.C. metro area they're few and far between, while the second gen's seem to be quite a bit more plentiful.

Personally, I hate the "auto" 4wd that mine has. Had I realized when I had the transfer case worked on that swapping to a manual box was possible, I would have. But once engaged, I haven't had any problems with my 4wd system. I'm just not a fan of it potentially engaging and disengaging, engaging and disengaging over and over- so when it's possible for the 4wd to engage on its own, I just flip the switch and keep it locked in until I don't need it anymore.

Definitely get a 4 door. The 4 door is the perfect size, big enough for you to sleep in the back with tools/living supplies. But small enough to go most places.
Last month I went somewhere I wasn't supposed to :D truck was small enough to fit between the poles with the mirrors being up high enough to clear :D

Personally, I hate the "auto" 4wd that mine has. Had I realized when I had the transfer case worked on that swapping to a manual box was possible, I would have. But once engaged, I haven't had any problems with my 4wd system. I'm just not a fan of it potentially engaging and disengaging, engaging and disengaging over and over- so when it's possible for the 4wd to engage on its own, I just flip the switch and keep it locked in until I don't need it anymore.

I swear I saw one that had a manual transfer case, it was a lever off to the the side of the center console (?). I admit I know almost nothing about Borg-Warner transfer cases...other than how to spell the name of 'em.

I believe some came with a manual transfercase, I've seen em to

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...The window motors on the first gens can be fixed for bout 8-$10 with parts from a help section at most auto parts stores..

..Some first gens have "Bike" cables on the rear windows..If you run into that, there is a permanent fix to get rid of those cables too..;)

..Never had a problem with locks on the first gens but when offroading always have a spare key for lockouts...

..Manual tranny is preferred as the A4LD tranny of the first gens are delicate and need to be handled as so...Generally expensive to repair also...Although myself and many others still have the auto tranny's...

..Manual t/c is preferred but myself and others still rock the electric t/c just fine...The shifter motor has a plastic bushing in it which cracks after years and can easily be permanently fixed on trail with a piece of 1/2" hose if need be.

..First gens do have a model with manual door locks and roll up windows...It is the "XL" model...The door panels remind me of the 80's f250 style and they always have bad or missing elbow rest..These panels seem to be the issue with these models and they are extremely rare to replace..

..My 95 ranger is an XL model and came stock with twin sticks, manual door locks/windows, and vinyl flooring..:biggthump

Back