Newbie | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ryo

Reaction score
City, State
Levittown PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello! I live in the northeast and I'm about to purchase a 2001 Explorer sport tomorrow. This will be my first Explorer and first SUV. It has 92k miles for $1800. Only known problems are hood struts don't hold hood up, center console armrest is cracked and cruise control buttons are broke. Is this a good buy? Anything else I should check out before I go through with the sale? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah could be. I’ll wait til it gets warmer before I replace them. Are there any other things I should look for before buying this that could be expensive to repair? Thanks

Yeah it seems to be ok. I replaced the blend door on a 97 town car a few years ago. Not a bad job just time consuming. I just want to make sure these explorers will hold up transmission/engine/4wd. It’s mainly only going to be used in bad weather for me.

Welcome and congratulations! Sounds a steal deal to me.

I got it and just got done cleaning it and messing around with it. I had to put a new battery in it but seems to be running good. I do smell oil every once in a while. The oil looks clean but dip stick reads over the full line. I should prob drain and replace just to be safe.

Back