Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Next project vehicle?

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by 2000StreetRod, November 9, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Would leaving it out move the converter back some towards the tranny,or should say move the tranny closer to the converter ?? Would that make any difference you think??

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Due to restricted access to the flexplate thru the starter hole and working on my back I had reduced confidence in my measurements. So I found a pill bottle with a slightly smaller inside diameter than the outside diameter of the starter gear. I cut out a section about 0.7 inches long and then cut one side.
      PillBtl1.jpg
      Then I carefully installed it on the starter gear about 0.2 inches back from the extension stop. Then I placed the starter into position. The ring gear pushed back the pill bottle and the tension of the pill bottle kept it in position while I removed the starter.
      PillBtl2.jpg
      The gap between the pill bottle and the stop is about 0.39 inches (thickness of the stock ring gear is 0.375) which represents the amount of starter gear engagement with the ring gear. The retracted position of the starter gear relative to the pill bottle which represents the clearance between the starter gear and the ring gear is 0.08 inches. I don't see how it could be any better. Almost complete engagement of the Hayes ring gear thickness (0.395 inches) and still clearance of the ring gear. Without the dirt plate installed there would be increased engagement but I would not be comfortable with the reduced clearance.I haven't measured the variation of the ring gear relative to the starter gear. The first time I start the engine I'll be ready to immediately shut it off if I detect any sounds of interference. Then I would have to install some shims or fabricate a thin spacer plate.

• Useful Useful x 1
    4. 4pointslow

4pointslow Explorer Torture Tester Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      The plate on my 2004 was missing when I bought it. Who ever worked on it before me put an engine in it and in the process left the plate out.
      It kind of all made sense when I found that the engine had a different Vin stamped on the back of the block.
      This is what caused my transmission to leak, the torque converter was being shoved into the transmission to far resulting in a ruined pump.

Before I found this all out I put a front transmission seal in it that just started leaking right after installation.
      I got a used plate off eBay and installed it, I also rebuilt the transmission and used a reman torque converter and reman pump.
      I have not had any leaks from the transmission since.

So for the record I would not remove the plate from between the engine and transmission in any case.

• Useful Useful x 1
    5. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      I suspected that it was necessary to install the camshaft position sensor before installing the power steering pump so I did so.
      CamPSensor.jpg

However, I was not aware that it was necessary to install the crankshaft position sensor before installing the A/C compressor.
      CrnkPSensor.jpg
      The length of the sensor exceeds the distance between A/C compressor pulley and the sensor mounting face on the engine front cover. On this vehicle it seems like the removal of one thing is frequently required for the installation of another thing. Hopefully, I can get by with just loosening the compressor mounting bolt and studbolts.

• Like Like x 2
    6. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      After loosening the A/C compressor mounting bolt and studbolts I was able to gain enough clearance to install the crankshaft position sensor.

I replaced my failed bank 2 pre-cat O2 sensor shortly before starting my engine removal. Since the other bank had the original sensor I purchased another Bosch 15664 sensor and installed it.
      15664C.jpg

A technical bulletin was included with my new starter: "WARNING. Ford has determined that corrosion in the last 4 inches of the vechicle's S-terminal (ignition) lead may have been the cause of/or could result in a "NO CRANK" condition. A new vehicle harness end is already installed on your replacement starter." The photo below shows the stock wire compared to the replacement.
      StrtrWire1.jpg
      I pulled off and cut the conduit tape to expose the required length of original wire.
      StrtrWire2.jpg
      Then I removed the insulator from the splice and the large diameter heat shrink. I cut the small diameter end off the large heat shrink so it would fit over the original wire conduit. I cut off the original wire at the appropriate length and removed the small diameter conduit. I installed the large diameter heat shrink, the small diameter conduit and a length of small diameter heat shrink on the new wire. I soldered the splice instead of crimping it, shrank both heat shrinks, installed a length of 1/4 inch conduit and secured the conduits with cable ties.
      StrtrWire3.jpg
      While I had the wiring harness on the table I secured tape wraps with cable ties and reinforced breakouts with conduit and cable ties at multiple locations.

• Like Like x 1