No 4WD & no 4WD lights. Newbe here | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No 4WD & no 4WD lights. Newbe here

markesd

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger Edge
Hi,

I am new here. I have a 2001 Ranger Edge with Auto 5 speed. I pulled the radio and now I cannot get it to go into 4WD. I do not know if this is related but when I pulled the radio I disconnected the 4WD switch and fog light switch. Now there are no lights for the 4WD that light up in the dash when the switch is turned. Also when I start the truck no 4WD lights up in the dash either. Anyone know how to check if it is the switch, 4x4CM or wiring? It will not go into 4WD at all nor will any 4WD lights turn on in the dash ever. I checked for power at the switch and there is only current at the far side (left) of the switch/wiring harness when the lights are turned on. I am assuming this is the power for the lights. Fuses are good.

There are 4 wires at the switch. Far left I believe is lights. Far right is ground (Black but not grounded)? Should I have current at the 4WD plug/ switch with the engine running and at what wires? Everything else is fine. There is current/power at the fog lights connection and they come on. The new 6 CD radio works great. Any help is really appreciated.

Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like you may have knocked something loose in there when you were installing the stereo. The GEM is located on the left side of the opening, and it ultimately determines what the 4wd system does. You may want to slide the stereo back out and check to see if you dislodged any wires from teh GEM connectors in the process of doing the install....

Or the switch may have become disconnected, or a pin may have backed out of the connector.

However, if the lights don't come on at start-up either, there could be other electrical issues completely unrelated...

After searching this site

I found that the 4x4CM can go bad after the loss of power. The battery went dead so I had to replace my battery recently. I believe this is my problem (the 4x4CM). Since the radio replacement I checked the connections etc. Nothing is amiss.

I ordered a new updated version of the 4x4 control module for a total of $121.50. at https://www.directfordparts.com the old part was 1L54-7H417-AC and the new one is 1L5Z-7E453-AC per the dealer I called. The dealer in my area wanted $202.91 +tax so $121.50 is a real bargain.

Thanks for the help and this is a great site!!

Check fuses first:
Battery junction box, #13 (20A), Central Junction box, #5(15A),#10(7.5A), #11(7.5A), and check for continuity through the switch, between pins 2 and 3 (wh/lb and ye/lb wires)... Could be the simple stuff, but losing power alone should not cause the 4wdCM to be damaged in any way, shape, or form.

-Joe

Thanks. I just re checked the fuses and all are good. The switch works fine. I cannot find any loose wires. So it is the 4x4CM or busted wires in the harness. I do not think it is in the Transfer case motor. I rarely use the 4WD.

Losing power won't damage the GEM.

Its not the shift motor.

The 4x4 lights will flash with the switch unplugged.

OK so loose of power will not damage it. Then why is it dead? That is the real question? I must refute your statement that losing power will not damage the 4x4CM. There are threads out there that claim it will. I seldom use my 4WD and the only thing I had a problem with was loosing power due to a bad battery. My problem was the 4x4CM. I replaced it and I have 4WD again. Woo HOO!!

Anyway check this thread out. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=163694

It gave me all the information I needed to fix my 4WD including the dealer who sells 30 to 45% below List.

Was is difficult to change the 4x4CM? By the looks of the piece of hardware it doesn't look difficult. Was there anything special you needed to do when installing the part? Thanks! I am having the same problem except mine works once the car is warmed up (when I blow heat to the floorboards... but this is very inconvenient especially if I hop in the truck when it is snowing hard and want to use 4x4 without waiting for the module to warm up)

Changing 4x4 modules was easy

Took maybe 10 minutes if that. Pull the plastic cover off the side kick panel and take the 2 screws out. Or was it 3? Anyway I did it in about 10 minutes.

4wdcm

So is the cm behind the left side or right side?

Thank you:usa:

So is the cm behind the left side or right side?

Thank you:usa:

Welcome aboard. :salute:

In the '02 it's behind the glove box:

4x4CMLocationCustom.jpg

Hope this helps out! :biggthump

You're welcome! :salute:
Posted via Mobile Device

Back