1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

No AC, A/C cycling switch ?

Discussion in 'Explorer, Ranger, A/C & Heater systems HVAC' started by joeydj4u, April 21, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. joeydj4u

joeydj4u Guest

I have a 99 Explorer Sport
      My A/C worked Last summer and this spring I just turned it on and noticed it just blows air. The compresor clutch is NOT cycling. I bought one those self charge kits, connected it to the low side it had 40-45psi, ok according to the guage.

A/C cycling switch on the Accumulator/Drier? I noticed the commpresor clutch does not go on at all. I unpluged the connector on the A/C Cycling switch, jumped the connector and boom, the clutch on the compresor kicks in. Is it possible that the problem lies within the A/C cycling switch and or low refrigerent and NOT the A/C presure cut off switch on the Compressor itself?

Are A/C cycling switches common to failure?

The A/C Cycling switch contacts are supposed to open when pressure drops to 22-28 psi and close at 40-47 psi.
      Now given that on the gauge I had 40+ psi and the clutch only went on when Jumped, I suspect my cycling switch is stuck on open position and therefore not energizing the compresor clutch, Hmmm. Thoughts?

The Cycling Switch runs $15-$25 should I just give it a whirl? It's not that expensive, I just did'nt want to start throwing parts in:confused:

Thanks in advance to any responses.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Blee1099

Blee1099 Evil Asian Moderator Emeritus EF Vendor

City, State:
      Elkridge, MD
      Year and Model:
      Whats the high pressure side reading? It may be overcharged if you charged it up recently.

4. joeydj4u

joeydj4u Guest

I no longer have manifold gauges to check both sides basicly I figured since it worked well last summer it may be low, went to a local auto parts store bought the recharge kit that comes with gauge the shows where your at pressure wise on the low side I'm believe being thats where directions stated to connect the the can. I't read full so I did not proceed to charge the system. I just jumped the switch to make sure I did not have a compressor/ clutch problem.

5. joeydj4u

joeydj4u Guest

OK update, I got a set of gauges hooked them up here's what I had

70 Degrees Ambiant Temp Today

25- 30 Low side
      140-145 Hiigh side
      65 degrees out of the vents
      The compressor started cycling litlle by little
      I replaced the A/C Cycling switch
      Recharged with 2 small cans of 134
      The compressor started cycling little by little and finally seemed to cycle at normal state as I Charged.
      Readings are now
      35 - 40 psi Low side
      145 - 150 psi Hi side
      38 - 40 degrees comming out of the center vents.

I will drive the vehicle for a few days and see what happens:cool:
      Are my readings close to what spec should be?