No Air From Front Vents - Blower Working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Air From Front Vents - Blower Working

mlochala

Reaction score
City, State
Amory, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I have a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer. Recently, the air stopped blowing from the front middle a/c vents. However, the air continues to blow from the other vents.

I know the blend door is not the problem because I fabricated one out of steel and after installing it I've had no more problems. (I got tired of the plastic ones breaking.)

The blower fan seems to be working fine, it just appears there is something not right with the passageway for the front two main vents. I have reached down in there with one of those flexible grabber thingies and have not found anything out of sorts in the duct work.

However, when I force the grabber all the way down and it pushes against the bottom, I feel air begin to blow through the duct. Apparently, there is some kind of gate in the duct work that is not functioning. That is my guess, anyhow.

Has anyone had this problem before? If so, how did you fix it? Do you have to take the dash all the way apart to get to this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For anyone who is interested and might be having this same issue, the problem turned out to be a broken vacuum line. I just happened to notice one hanging loose on the passenger side of the engine. When I repaired it, boom! The vents began working properly.

I have a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer. Recently, the air stopped blowing from the front middle a/c vents. However, the air continues to blow from the other vents.

I know the blend door is not the problem because I fabricated one out of steel and after installing it I've had no more problems. (I got tired of the plastic ones breaking.)

The blower fan seems to be working fine, it just appears there is something not right with the passageway for the front two main vents. I have reached down in there with one of those flexible grabber thingies and have not found anything out of sorts in the duct work.

However, when I force the grabber all the way down and it pushes against the bottom, I feel air begin to blow through the duct. Apparently, there is some kind of gate in the duct work that is not functioning. That is my guess, anyhow.

Has anyone had this problem before? If so, how did you fix it? Do you have to take the dash all the way apart to get to this?

No fix yet but I have the same problem..will look into it soon.

99% of the time it is a vacuum leak between the engine, the vacuum globe in passenger wheel well and the dash on pass side.

When the dash looses vacuum it defaults to defrost for safety.

For anyone who is interested and might be having this same issue, the problem turned out to be a broken vacuum line. I just happened to notice one hanging loose on the passenger side of the engine. When I repaired it, boom! The vents began working properly.
Wow thanks!

99% of the time it is a vacuum leak between the engine, the vacuum globe in passenger wheel well and the dash on pass side.

When the dash looses vacuum it defaults to defrost for safety.
Thanks!

Can you post a picture of the hose you found to be the problem?

If you open & remove the glove box door there is a 1"x1" vacuum manifold with several lines in the bottom left corner of the opening. A whole bundle of different colored lines. These are your individual vacuum controls. Test each line to see if it's holding vacuum. If not, that's the line with the problem. Might have the chart for what is what around somewhere.

This thing

sddefault.jpg

HERE is what I was looking for I think

attachment.gif

Back