• Register Today It's free!

No Key Detected

cjlock

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Has anyone else gotten this little message before for no reason? I had the key in my pocket, but I went to start the engine and it said no key detected. I know now that you have to place the key in the little slot in the center console, and then the car will start, but I was just wondering how and/or why this happens. This has happened twice already and I've only had the truck 3 months. Not a big deal, just a little weird.
:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I never put key on the console to start car just in pocket and car satrts but sometimes i have gotten the no key detected with the car on but i pay now mind to it until i get my 1000 miles on it an take it to get the first oil change and then i will bring up all little issues i have been seeing so far none major but a few little glitches here and there but other than does little glitches its an awesome truck!!

For the Push Button start? The key is not supposed to need to be anyplace special. It can be left in pocket, purse, trunk, etc.

This is very concerning that they don't have this figured out yet!!

No problem here. Message does appear when I leave the car running and get out and walk away. It seems to have a short signal range, but suppose that's for security.

we had both ia keys in our pockets tonight and got the no key detected so it would not start. spouse took her key inside house and all was ok.

I have had that same thing happen, but until reading your post I didn't know we had to put the remote into the center console holder. Thx

I have 2011 Explorere Limited. Today I shut it off in the car wash and when it ended it would not start even with the key in my pocket. Screen showed "no key detected". Finally I got out of the car and got the spare key I had in the back and it started. At the Ford place it worked fine with the old key.

Any suggestions?
Andy

No problem here

I've had the message come up a few times when just having started the car and had to double check my pockets. Cleared the message with the OK button on the steering left button and all was well. Never thought anything more of it as it caused me no real issues.

I have 2011 Explorere Limited. Today I shut it off in the car wash and when it ended it would not start even with the key in my pocket. Screen showed "no key detected". Finally I got out of the car and got the spare key I had in the back and it started. At the Ford place it worked fine with the old key.

Any suggestions?
Andy
If that was the only time it happened I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If you got out and then back in again it may have worked the second time. Some of these electronic gadgets can be quite tempermental at times. I'm quite sure it isn't the fob battery since it worked again later on.

Peter

That's happened a few times to me. I've had the key in my pocket and the no key warning light has come on. Both times, I took the key out and placed it back in my pocket. The light went off after that.

We have found that sometimes if a cell phone is too close to the keys, the car will complain about no key being detected.

Remember, the key is using a radio frequency. It could be something as simple as an interference or they got out of sync. Usually, taking the key out of range of the car and then back into range solves the problem. If it's happening all the time, I'd be concerned, but I wouldn't have any concerns if it happens occasionally.

2011 smart key

Hello everyone,
I'm the new guy on the block. I originally posted this in the new forum, but realize that's a welcome wagon and this is where I go for tech advice. Actually, came across you guys by accident. A friend of mine just bought a used 2003 Explorer and was missing a lot of the information that we needed in that it was lacking the users manual. Looking through your threads, found a lot of helpful tips. So being the owner of a 2011 Explorer, I have a great place to go now to address some of my concerns. So to start things off, I've encountered a problem with my smart key with pushbutton start and my answer from the dealer was "really?" "Never seen that happen before!" I was almost left stranded little over 2 1/2 years ago when the car was pretty new. When I went to start the car the message "no key detected" came up. I took the keys out of my pocket, guessing that the signal would be picked up better, but still no results. I was 100 miles from home and 75 miles from the dealership where I purchased the car. I thought I was going to have to be towed that distance. I kept trying over and over and then finally after 15 min. the signal was accepted. I know there's a backup key in the key fob, does anyone know how to use that in case the "no key detected" display shows up again for any length of time. Will that key start the car up in an emergency ? It will pop up once in a while but then it accepts the signal and starts the car. Thanks for all your help and I hope this wasn't a thread that's been addressed before to bore you guys all over again with. Explorerdino

Hello everyone,
I'm the new guy on the block. I originally posted this in the new forum, but realize that's a welcome wagon and this is where I go for tech advice. Actually, came across you guys by accident. A friend of mine just bought a used 2003 Explorer and was missing a lot of the information that we needed in that it was lacking the users manual. Looking through your threads, found a lot of helpful tips. So being the owner of a 2011 Explorer, I have a great place to go now to address some of my concerns. So to start things off, I've encountered a problem with my smart key with pushbutton start and my answer from the dealer was "really?" "Never seen that happen before!" I was almost left stranded little over 2 1/2 years ago when the car was pretty new. When I went to start the car the message "no key detected" came up. I took the keys out of my pocket, guessing that the signal would be picked up better, but still no results. I was 100 miles from home and 75 miles from the dealership where I purchased the car. I thought I was going to have to be towed that distance. I kept trying over and over and then finally after 15 min. the signal was accepted. I know there's a backup key in the key fob, does anyone know how to use that in case the "no key detected" display shows up again for any length of time. Will that key start the car up in an emergency ? It will pop up once in a while but then it accepts the signal and starts the car. Thanks for all your help and I hope this wasn't a thread that's been addressed before to bore you guys all over again with. Explorerdino
Welcome to the Forum explorerdino.:wavey:
As indicated in my PM, I have moved your thread to this existing one on the same issue. The 'back up' key will not start the vehicle. It allows you to unlock/lock the doors and glove box. If it began just after you purchased the vehicle it shouldn't be the fob battery although some 2011 owners are now beginning to replace the battery in the fob. A new battery would be the easiest and cheapest thing to try to see if it resolves the issue. You should have 2 fobs, do you have same issue with both of them?
If you get stranded again, you can always try the back up starting method. Here is what the Owner's Guide says;

Back up method of starting your vehicle;

Your IA key uses a radio frequency signal
to communicate with your vehicle and authorize your vehicle to start
when you press the START/STOP button and apply the brake pedal. If
excessive radio frequency interference is present in the area, or if the
battery in your IA key is low, it may be necessary to start your car by
inserting the IA key in the back-up slot, located at the front of the center
console storage compartment. Insert the IA key into the slot with
buttons facing out and with key ring up. After inserting the IA key into
the back-up slot, use the START/STOP button and brake pedal to start
your vehicle as usual. The vehicle should respond normally as long as the
IA key is in the back-up slot. Once the vehicle is started, the IA key can
be removed from the back-up slot, if desired.

You also do not have to take it back to the selling dealership. You can take it to any Ford dealer

Good luck. BTW, I have deleted your duplicate post on this.

Peter

Has happened twice to me on 2013 Explorer Limited

I tried everything the first time as I was out and stranded. The remote start worked fine, but when I opened a door the alarm goes off whether it is running or not. Finally called Ford. When tow truck arrived, he gave it a jump and it started right up. Ford could not find anything wrong.

This morning it happened again at home. I tried several times and it failed, remote start worked fine. Alarm went off when opening door. I went got out and opened hood to give it a jump from an emergency startup battery. I decided to try it after I opened the hood without giving it a jump and it started right up.

I don't know if opening hood has anything to do with it, or if it just took fob out of range and back in. Hopefully, Ford will find out what the problem is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..I don't know if opening hood has anything to do with it, or if it just took fob out of range and back in. Hopefully, Ford will find out what the problem is.

Hi rayw796,

I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here; welcome to the forum! :)

If this happens again, I recommend bringing it to the attention of your dealership so they can get this documented. It's hard for dealerships to diagnose issues that they can't replicate, but the more information they have, the better. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Back