No Key Detected | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Key Detected

Welcome to the Forum rayw796.:wavey:
There is a 'Hood Switch' that works in conjunction with the remote start. It senses that the hood is open and then will not allow the vehicle to be remote started. Here is what it looks like on my MKT. I believe the Explorer is the same but the location may differ. As far as I know, this should not prevent the vehicle from being started normally.

Peter

Attachments

• P9050292_001.JPG
    P9050292_001.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,267

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had this problem off and on. Sometimes the unlock and lock buttons would do nothing when I pressed them I went to home depot and got two replacement batteries for 5 dollars and all my problems with the fob had vanished. So for me it was a dying battery.

I have 2011 Explorere Limited. Today I shut it off in the car wash and when it ended it would not start even with the key in my pocket. Screen showed "no key detected". Finally I got out of the car and got the spare key I had in the back and it started. At the Ford place it worked fine with the old key.

Any suggestions?
Andy

Its funny because this exact same thing just happened to me on my 2012. Once the wash cycle was completed the no key detected showed up. I tried a few times and also tried to put the key in the center console slot and nothing...then i got out of the truck and came back and then it started normally....the driyng cycle of the car wash was over so i got out the car wash with a completely wet truck....im in canada and its freezing temperature around here...maybe water or humidity had to do something with the key sensor ?

Key not detected (a real pain problem)

have any one of you experienced this problem (Limited and Sport) owners , electronic key not detected and car never starts only after a year of purchase

Have you put it in the low battery slot in your console to see if it starts? If it does, the battery is almost dead in your keyfob. Do your doors unlock when you grab the exterior handle?

Otherwise, a dealer visit seems to be in your future.

I've also noticed that if I absent mindedly shove the key in the same pocket as my cell phone, it will be hit or miss. My wife keeps her key, along with another proximity key, and her cell phone in a clutch and never has issues. I think the credit cards, leather and phone case help her out a bit. Mostly my key goes in the coin pocket of my jeans or the same front pocket as my wallet, so I rarely have an issue unless i just shove everything in a hoodie.

have any one of you experienced this problem (Limited and Sport) owners , electronic key not detected and car never starts only after a year of purchase
Using the Forum's 'Search' function. I found this thread and merged yours with it.

Peter

Hi gwesam,

Are you currently unable to start your Explorer? Keep in mind that you can contact Roadside Assistance at 1-800-241-3673 to have it towed to the dealership. How many miles are on it?

Crystal

I've also noticed that if I absent mindedly shove the key in the same pocket as my cell phone, it will be hit or miss. My wife keeps her key, along with another proximity key, and her cell phone in a clutch and never has issues. I think the credit cards, leather and phone case help her out a bit. Mostly my key goes in the coin pocket of my jeans or the same front pocket as my wallet, so I rarely have an issue unless i just shove everything in a hoodie.

Great point and that happens with me as well.

I have 2011 Explorere Limited. Today I shut it off in the car wash and when it ended it would not start even with the key in my pocket. Screen showed "no key detected". Finally I got out of the car and got the spare key I had in the back and it started. At the Ford place it worked fine with the old key.

Any suggestions?
Andy

this happened to me after i went to buy stuff in the morning from bakery , I was really afraid that it won't start because I had to take the kids to school , i walked home and brought the spare key and it started but later on it did the same after work .

Hi gwesam,

Are you currently unable to start your Explorer? Keep in mind that you can contact Roadside Assistance at 1-800-241-3673 to have it towed to the dealership. How many miles are on it?

Crystal

it has 31,000.00 Miles , the local Dealer refused to take it saying i should buy batteries for the key from a watch repair shop and if i want it to be inspected i need an appointment a week before besides , later that day it started normally so i didn't get an appointment , now it comes and goes but not seriously happening .

it has 31,000.00 Miles , the local Dealer refused to take it saying i should buy batteries for the key from a watch repair shop and if i want it to be inspected i need an appointment a week before besides , later that day it started normally so i didn't get an appointment , now it comes and goes but not seriously happening .

Thanks for the quick reply, gwesam. Have you replaced the battery in your fob? That might be a good next step. Keep us posted.

Crystal

yes I have replaced it and bought more as a spare

Just about every proximity-key car I've owned has done this on occasion, including my Explorer. Perplexing, but not particularly an issue for me.

Tony

Just 2 nights ago it happened to me while having the key fob in the cup-holder in the middle console. it was accompanied with 2 loud horn beeps at 4 am! Hope the neighbors had a deep sleep. I will monitor it till next service.

Just 2 nights ago it happened to me while having the key fob in the cup-holder in the middle console. it was accompanied with 2 loud horn beeps at 4 am! Hope the neighbors had a deep sleep. I will monitor it till next service.

Come back and let us know if it happens again, edino. I'm here if you need any assistance from my neck of the woods. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I have had this message multiple times! It actually went into anti theft mode when I was 50+ miles from home. One thing I found out is if you you use you code to lock the car it resets the system. Our dealership has changed everything possible and it still does it! We have new fobs too. My suggestion is when they says keyless so no way!

I have a 2014 sport with 16k miles and the "no key detected" has shown up on the dash at least 5 times...it usually lights up when the engine is still running and I exit the vehicle for a couple of seconds for whatever reason (open the trunk, get something from the backseat)..the key fob is always in my pocket..but the engine does not die and I am able to put it in drive and be on my way..

I have a 2014 sport with 16k miles and the "no key detected" has shown up on the dash at least 5 times...it usually lights up when the engine is still running and I exit the vehicle for a couple of seconds for whatever reason (open the trunk, get something from the backseat)..the key fob is always in my pocket..but the engine does not die and I am able to put it in drive and be on my way..

My 14 Sport does same thing, worst is when vehicle is parked and running your inside with FOB and passenger exits through passenger door and horn honks 2X.

Bug in the software that's not being updated unfortunately.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

About a month ago I had my '11 Explorer Limited at my local dealer to have the "Shift To Park" issue addressed, they also updated the Navigation system at the same time. Since then when I go to start the vehicle after it's been sitting for a few hours (like overnite) it'll show "No Key Detected" and won't start until I first hit another button on the key fob, such as the door lock button, then it'll start. This only happens if it has been not running for several hours. If it has been a shorter period of time (like less than overnite) and I go to start it, it'll fire right up without first having to hit another button on the key fob. What's up? There's 68K on the odometer and I have the Premium ESP.

Back