No power to overhead console and map lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No power to overhead console and map lights

2Forty

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal, QC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac XLT
So I have no power going to the overhead console and no it's not the unit in itself, changed it for a working unit
Checked with multimeter and I have no power, front map lights and rear dome light come on when the doors are opened or triggered with the front switch
But the front and rear map lights don't come on when I press the switch beside it
anyone got a clue?

P.S. sunroof work perfectly

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gotta be a fuse or a open circuit (broken wire). Wiring diagram says fuse #16 in central junction box (hot in run).

I guess it's an open circuit then, all my fuses are ok and brand new
is there any place where those wires would be prone to break ?
would save me the hassle of dismantling everything

I guess it's an open circuit then, all my fuses are ok and brand new
is there any place where those wires would be prone to break ?
would save me the hassle of dismantling everything

I looked at a wiring diagram for your vehicle. I can usually figure them out, but it was very confusing. I'm thinking it would be more likely the issue is closer to the board. I'd start there and work my way backwards. You can stick pins i the wire at various places to check for power. Don't forget that the key must be ON during testing. I'm sure the wires run down the driver's side a-pillar and then into the kick panel before they go to the fuse box.

I had this issue and come to find out, the thin - I guess you'd call it a circuit board - thin plastic with copper leads going to the light bulbs - the board had disintegrated and there was nothing making contact with the light bulbs. I couldn't find just that replacement circuit board/paper without buying a used unit and I didn't want to risk anything else having that problem since it seems like a crappy design. So I took the whole unit down and wired some LED lights up. It works flawlessly now and it is so freaking bright that I'm going to pull the rear dome out and do the exact same thing. I'll pull it out this evening and take pics and post a how-to tutorial if you want.

how did you wired the led bulb up need help

I had this issue and come to find out, the thin - I guess you'd call it a circuit board - thin plastic with copper leads going to the light bulbs - the board had disintegrated and there was nothing making contact with the light bulbs. I couldn't find just that replacement circuit board/paper without buying a used unit and I didn't want to risk anything else having that problem since it seems like a crappy design. So I took the whole unit down and wired some LED lights up. It works flawlessly now and it is so freaking bright that I'm going to pull the rear dome out and do the exact same thing. I'll pull it out this evening and take pics and post a how-to tutorial if you want.
I have the same issue. I like the LED idea. What lights did you use and how did you install them? Any help would be appreciated.

Back