and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

No Reverse Forward all Good

Discussion in 'Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, &' started by scorch, January 24, 2006.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. scorch

scorch New Member

City, State:
      boise, ida
      Year and Model:
      94 XLT
      Have a 94 XLT, reverse no work. Get her out of garage, put in drive or OD works fine. Put in N acts like !st. Called 3 shops in area say rebuild time.Any ideas or confermation would be greatly appreciated.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT
      Up til you said N acts like first, I was thinking maybe either a plugged filter or a burned reverse clutch, but that kinda says linkage issues. check your linkages... then if external is ok, drop the pan and check the Z link. The fact you are not getting the gear commanded in neutral is an odd symptom other than linkage.

4. scorch

scorch New Member

City, State:
      boise, ida
      Year and Model:
      94 XLT
      This all started Sat. morning. First thing I did was read through checking linkage, so reset it as directed in manual. still same, so will pull pan,change filter and check Z link.

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Welcome to this forum! I see that you are new here. One suggestion of things to check when you pull the pan is the low/reverse servo. If you are having a problem with reverse besides the problem with neutral, this servo has two O-rings (one big, and one small) that go bad after a while, and could leak. You will lose hydraulic pressure if this happens. I'm not implying that this will solve your problem, but it's a good thing to check while your pan is off anyway.

6. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      One thing that I'm curious about is what if you try to move your shifter into a setting in between the usual park, or drive, but not locked in the reverse position. I once saw a similar problem like this on a 94 Aerostar. When I started to wiggle the shifter a little bit, it then went into reverse, but not right away. Sometimes the cables may stretch a bit. There is a set screw in the area where the end of the cable snaps onto the arm of the transmission to fine tune the area where the gears are supposed to be set. It's a small hex head bolt. I don't remember the exact size, maybe 5/16", or 8 mm. Your model could be a little different.

7. BrianOrkney

BrianOrkney New Member

City, State:
      seattle washington
      Year and Model:
      1993 ford explorer
      Me Too!

Ive got the exact same thing and no one will believe me that it's not the linkage! what did you do?

8. CanyonGT

CanyonGT New Member

City, State:
      newton,ia
      Year and Model:
      1996 xlt v8 awd
      me too! but it's a 1996 v8 awd explorer, but last week it acted like the transmission finnally went, but reverse suddenly works!

9. truesprocket

truesprocket New Member

Year and Model:
      1993 ford explorer
      Hi I have a 93 explorer & my reverse wont kick in eather, my fluid leaked out over months of no use to the point that none was on the dip stick I topped it up & I still no reverse I tried reverse on a hill I even turned off the truck & tried from park & from nutral & it still wanted to go forward even with a slow roll backwards, I got it stuch in the woods last week because I didn't want to keep going up what turned in to a slim lightly used ATV path. well this week I tried to get reverse again & used a winch both with no success so I finished the path until I could turn around(drive in a curcle) & the take it back down the same path, I ran over big downed trees, between trees I was just a tad big for, over big rocks & heavily sloped rock faces but I got it out! its even with regular tires its a true 4x4! but I beat the body really bad, ripped off the rocker plastic's & bent the back bumper up pretty good, I also learn what a piece of crap my little winch is. I'm not sure why I can't get reverse but mine is from sitting! not linkage or any thing bent or broken it is for sure more like a stuck valve or something that dried out & now won't mover or a seal that rotted & now no hydrolic pressure for reverse but with Canyon's finally cicking in I''ll go with somthing stuck & doesn't have the pressure to move it,Mine from sitting with no trany fluid (for 29 month's!) started trying on the 4th try & fired up on the 7th! what a good truck! just need reverse & I'm off to the Bush again! is there already an answer to this "no reverse" issue please let me know, PS, I bought this truck for bush road mineral hunting in the Gooderham area, I'm off Tamerak lake rd if you know any good mineral or fancy rock hunting grounds let me know