Noise from oil pan (Please listen) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noise from oil pan (Please listen)

dustinjorge

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 4x4
Noise from oil pan (Solved)

1995 Explorer, 4.0L ohv ( Reman. long block from ford < 50,000k on it. Installed by myself and my pops ~5 years ago. )

First clip is explained in the vid.
Second clip I'm holding the recorder right below the oil pan (Didn't have the light under there)

This racket is coming from the bottom of my oil pan, I've ruled out heat shields, exhaust mount rattles, and had this up on the rack at Midas today. It's definitely coming from the oil pan. Seems worse just after oil change.

Please help, I don't have much to go on here...

Also, here's another thread with recent work fwiw (Done for unrelated reasons, pending):
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380619

Just wanted to update on this... the sound is gone. Turned out to be ignition spark knock/ pre-ignitinon, or something of that sort.

I remembered that I heard a goofy sound when torquing one of my plugs when I changed them last week (using ford spec motorcraft platinums), so I pulled plug 5 and checked it (didn't see any cracks), replaced it anyway. Then, because I didn't remember if it was 4 or 5, I changed out 4 as well. I remember someone once told me that a spider crack in a plug can be small enough to not collect dirt and not be seen by the naked eye.

Also, before I put the battery cable back on, I pulled the coil pack (which is new), and cleaned the ground plate (it wasn't that bad, but I took some light grit sandpaper too it until it was baby's butt smooth).

Put it all back together and fired it up, sound gone! Running great.

This video on youtube is what got me thinking about cleaning the coil pack ground plate. Though I'm more convinced one of the plugs had a light crack.

Hey mine does the exact same thing and it's driving me crazy! It first happened about a year ago when I replaced my IAC now it happens every time I change my oil! It's really annoying as it goes away right before I have to change the oil out. I just had my spark plugs changed with motorcraft ones and its still there. It's even worse after I clean my IAC. Any advice?

Hey mine does the exact same thing and it's driving me crazy! It first happened about a year ago when I replaced my IAC now it happens every time I change my oil! It's really annoying as it goes away right before I have to change the oil out. I just had my spark plugs changed with motorcraft ones and its still there. It's even worse after I clean my IAC. Any advice?

Try cleaning/sanding the bottom of your coil pack and the ground plate it mounts to on the engine. I actually carefully smeared some koppr-shield on the mating surfaces before putting the coil pack back on.

Back