Noises coming from hvac system

Mitchs07explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Meridian, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V8 AWD
07 XLT V6
Hi everyone, I have an 07 Explorer with manual climate control. A few months ago I started noticing a hissing coming from the front passenger side in the dash when I'd accelerate. After searching the forum I found that I needed to change out my vacuum reservoir and my a/c check valve. So far so good on no more hissing with acceleration but when I turn my AC or heat on I hear a single pop like air is being released somewhere as the system kicks on. Sounds like it could be associated with the vacuum system. Also when I turn my climate control from hot to cold I get a faint ticking sound from behind the dash. I know that the ticking is coming from a blendoor actuator that most likely has broken teeth on one of its gears. I understand all I need to do to get to it is remove a panel near the gas pedal as well as the trim around the steering column. I went to fordparts.com and used my vin to do a search for the blendoor as recommended to get the correct part. What I'm finding confusing is that the actuators that I'm pulling up look like they're hooked up to the vacuum system verses a typical looking blendoor actuator that's kinda flat with the little gear thing that comes out the side and has a plugin. I need to open it up and look in there to see what's in there but I was hoping someone could give me a heads up before I start digging around under the dash. Can anyone tell me if the actuator is a vacuum style or the other. Thanks!

its a vacuum actuated system it takes time for the change in air pressure to open/close the various doors, until that happens it usually makes ticks clicks and hisses..... on the manual hvac I don't think a single actuator is electric because every connector from behind the controls on the select zone side are vacuum lines

its a vacuum actuated system it takes time for the change in air pressure to open/close the various doors, until that happens it usually makes ticks clicks and hisses..... on the manual hvac I don't think a single actuator is electric because every connector from behind the controls on the select zone side are vacuum lines
Cool, thanks for the heads up, I know I'm looking at the right parts now. Now it's just a matter of getting in there and taking care of it.

Back