Jack's 1993 Explorer build thread | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jack's 1993 Explorer build thread

Heres a quick rundown of my 1993 Ford Explorer Sport

4.0L OHV
A4LD auto trans
4.88s
narrowed hp 44 with spartan lunchbox
8.8 with powertrax no-slip
roughly 6" of overall lift
trans temp guage
rear tube bumper
custom front winch bumper
Rugged Ridge 10.5lb winch
38.5x14.50r15 TSL SXs on DIY TMI beadlocks
internal roll cage
corbeau reclining seats
no glass
dents
scrapes
good times

winter project: extended radius arms with ballistic joints

My 93 2dr was the first vehicle I bought and paid for myself which is one of the reasons I still have it today. The other reason.. do I need to explain? We all know why we have our trucks. I got the vehicle when I was 19 as a daily driver to school and work. This is the oldest picture I can find of the truck, and I already had started putting money into it.

130.jpg

I wasnt a big fan of the deerprints so I had a set of 5 spoke steelies from an old BII of ours powdercoated black and put on a set of 30x9.50 TA K/Os. Winter was coming and I had had other explorers with auto hubs fail on me when I needed them so off they came and on went a set of Warns. The truck looked great with the wheel/tire combo and the factory black trim, cant find a pic though.

When I got the truck it had 85K miles on the odometer, a few years and 45K miles later the engine finally gave out. The truck sat for a year or so but I couldnt get rid of it. A friend from work helped me get ahold of a 90K mile 4.0L and $600 later (including install and other parts) the truck was back on the road.

Found another good deal through a friend on some 31x10.50 BFG Long Trails mounted on American Racing 15x8 Outlaw IIs...

131.jpg

But I had a very slight rub at full lock.. so I had to lift it a little, right? RoughCountry leveling springs and Warrior shackles were on it the next week.

132.jpg

Those springs were stiff.. I took it for an alignment and they said I needed drop brackets before they could align it. Dissappointed I drove home, with horrible camber. Thats when it hit me.. If I need to buy drop brackets I might as well buy a 4" lift, and some shocks, and a pitman arm, and some AALs and get some 4dr leaf packs from the salvage yard and.. well you get the idea.

133.jpg
134.jpg

As you can see.. everything held together during the first 'test run' of the new suspension.

135.jpg

I dont drive my 93 every day.. gas is too much for the 50 mile round trip drive to work. That doesnt mean it sits at home though. Ive taken it on a few trips this summer and take it out on the weekends to have some fun.

136.jpg

I have been a member of this site for some time now and I felt it was time for me to jump up to Elite and make a contribution after all the help, advice, feedback and knowledge I have gained from the other members. It wasnt till I found this site that I thought I would be able to do this kind of work myself, and with everyones help I have. I'll keep this updated as changes are made.

20170519_120533 - Copy.jpg

- Jack

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think for you to jump up you gotta have a different carrier, correct me if i'm wrong, but i think you have a high carrier and need a low at 3.55/3.27

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

with you having the 3.27's jumping to a 4.10 would be worth it, I'd rather have rusted rockers, then %*@ked up gears. The thing is having the X paid for.......... PERIOD. Keep an eye on those rockers though, wouldn't let them get outta hand. The X looks great with the 32's:thumbsup:

thats what i was thinking.. 4.10s would put me basically at stock with the 32s. thanks for the compliments!

i think for you to jump up you gotta have a different carrier, correct me if i'm wrong, but i think you have a high carrier and need a low at 3.55/3.27

there are no carrier breaks.. so i wouldnt need new carriers. also, im going for entire junkyard diffs.

was the 4.10 ever available as a stock ratio? If so, I should start looking more closely, since there are many explorers in the junkyards around here.

...Explorers did and still do, come with a 4.10 option...;)

...The 3.73 are common as they are the "Tow Package" standards...

...Finding 4.10 Explorer axles you would need to find door code:

42= 4.10 open
D2= 4.10 LS

well I cant find either anywhere around here. 3.73s are plentiful but id much rather have 4.10s with my 32s. i know i know.. just buy new r&p's, but alas, no cash.

just an update.. the bushings in the RC shocks I got with my lift are junk. The past few weeks Ive been hearing a clanging banging sound whenever i would hit a bump. I finally got under the truck today and saw that 3 of the 4 rear shocks bushings were shot and the shocks were bouncing around on the bolts. The stock shocks I had on the truck were still under warranty, so I switched them out and temporarily mounted them to the top of the rear sway bar mount. rides 10x better.

...Explorers did and still do, come with a 4.10 option...;)

...The 3.73 are common as they are the "Tow Package" standards...

...Finding 4.10 Explorer axles you would need to find door code:

42= 4.10 open
D2= 4.10 LS

Are the axle codes the same regardless of vehicle? Its been too long since I have looked into that stuff, I can't remember.

...Actually, that is not correct...

..Each RBV has it's own codes for the axles...

Aerostar 4.10's
22 = open 7.5
B1= LS 7.5

BII 4.10's
47= open 7.5
D7= LS 7.5

Ranger 4.10's
87= open 7.5
97= open 8.8
F7=LS 7.5
R7= LS 8.8

Explorer 4.10's
D2=LS 8.8
42= open 8.8

...I've added that info to my "How To" for future reference...;)

you have enough information that you could put your 'how-to' section in a book and publish it.

...I definitely have a long way to go...;)

...So how is your progress going on your X???...Did you find new bushings???..I would definitely try to find a whole rear axle to swap in...So much cheaper and easier to do...

I found a rear axle.. just cant find a front dana 35 so i havnt picked up the rear. i guess i might have to bite the bullet and just have a new ring and pinion installed.

some good news though.. the truck goes in for rocker work late next week. I decided I need to catch the rust b4 its beyond repair. hopefully the rockers/sliders turn out good.

I picked up a set of shock adapters, the ones that convert eyelet shocks to a stud mount. I am going to bolt them to the rear sway bar brackets and use that as my shock mount. also going to pick up some 8.8 conversion plates w/out the shock mount to replace the stock plates. I played around with stock length shocks and I think this will work out good. This way I can always just go to a parts store and buy normal shocks. I will be keeping the lift shocks and replacing the bushings, they have some miles left on them.

if the rain stops, things dry up, and i can find someone who sells a 5/8" drill bit, the shocks will be mounted tomorrow and ill take some pictures.

if the rain stops, things dry up, and i can find someone who sells a 5/8" drill bit, the shocks will be mounted tomorrow and ill take some pictures.

lowe's has a nice selection of drill bits including the 5/8".. that's where i bought mine..

yeah, I'm gonna have to check there if the Ace in town doesnt carry it. Im hopin sears carries something that big, I have a gift card! lol

I was surprised to see how big of a bolt ProComp used as the stud for the mount.

yeah, I'm gonna have to check there if the Ace in town doesnt carry it. Im hopin sears carries something that big, I have a gift card! lol

I was surprised to see how big of a bolt ProComp used as the stud for the mount.

Ace has higher prices and i doubt that sears has them.. i cant believe lowes had them in those sizes.. i even bought a 1/2" extended drill bit from them.. lowe's is not bad for a local hardware store, tons better than homedeopt imo..

Back