Jack's SAS version 3.0 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jack's SAS version 3.0

I am consolidating my build thread and the sas build into one thread so below is a link to my original build thread in case anyone has too much time on their hands and wants to see how this whole ordeal started.

notajeep_wv build thread

the next step.. SAS parts update 2/18

Its time for a SAS, time to take making Jeeps look bad to the next level lol
Lets keeps track of how much this is costing me so I can look back at it later and think of all the other things I could have done with the money.

what ended up on the truck..

74 EB D44 with track bar, steering, 2 sets of RAs - $200
F150 knuckles, spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers - $35
MileMarker premium hubs - $80
4.89 G2 gear set - $175
4.88 G2 gear set - $200
D44 install kit - $80
5.5 WH coils - $160
Duff SAS trac bar bracket - $150
Duff Coil seats - $75
D44 TruTrac - $425
7* bushing kit - $50
Moog HD ball joints - $120
axle joints - $40
Duff steering - $350
Cooper 35x12.50 STTs - $840
custom built trac bar - $80
F250 shock towers - $30

eh, its a start

axle3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

getting the nut and old bushings off of one of the arms is holding me up.. well that and getting the diff back from being re-geared. this needs done.. I need to wheel.

just a small update... got to work on the truck last night. thought I'd 'quickly' install the duff sas track bar bracket. after an hour of cussing and grinding in the engine crossmember for clearance its in. will try to get a pic up later. looks good fits nice has the center point of the bushing sitting right on the outside of the frame rail

got a few hours of work in this weekend.. here are the pictures to prove it lol

shocks towers mounted, axle lined up
245.jpg

I'm on a deadline so i cheaped out (for now) and 'modified' the factory trans cross member to work
246.jpg

I caught my helper drinking on the job...

247.jpg

spare set of cut fenders I had laying around, might keep these depending on the tire size I pick up

248.jpg

Get back to work.. geesh

249.jpg

I had to at least pretend for a moment that the truck sat on 4 tires

250.jpg

Also mounted an aux fuse panel and re-wired the fog lights in my grill. Had the 5.5 wildhorses coils in and the truck would have been too high for what I want right now. Hopefully the 3.5" coils I ordered will show up in the next couple days

A little reading before I dive into mine next summer. Subbed

got some more work done this weekend.. calipers are on, flex hoses installed, front brakes bled, measured for steering and trac bar, and taking a little time out to re-do some accessory wiring that over the years has become a tangled mess.

251.jpg
252.jpg
253.jpg
254.jpg

havnt updated in a while so heres where I'm at in a nutshell..

ordered the steerin from James Duff, measured exactly how they told me, drag link was 2" too long, customer support said 'thats what happens when building a custom steering setup 1500 miles apart' which really bummed me out, cause before that the service was superior to anyone ive been dealing with. so had a friend cut an inch off each end, took it to a chassis shop to get it rethreaded, brought it home, burs on one side and i cant find a tap in this podunk town to save my life. so the front is done minus lining up the drag link and welding the saddle bracket to the tie rod.

I had ordered the WH 3.5" coils for fear the 5.5" coils would leave the struck sitting way to high after reading that most net ~8" with those coils. Installed the 3.5s and the spring rate just wasnt enough for the weight on the front of the truck from the bumper and winch. so i went back to the 5.5" coils and the truck is nearly level with the rear lift springs and shackles.

in the mean time the rear is together minus shock mounts, finished up the accessory wiring, still need to figure out why my trans temp guage stopped working, cleaned the junk out of the interior, started looking at some ideas to mount the high lift. got the rear bumper back on, need to find a single 5x4.5 to 5x5.5" wheel adapter for the meantime so i can keep a spare.

230.jpg
231.jpg

had a Saturday off so I drove up to the pilot truck stop and picked up a new CB antenna and spring. friend is looking through his taps for a 3/4 fine thread so maybe this weekend can be productive

I maintained use of my OE trans cross member while using 78-79 fullsize radius arm mounts. Should I tie the mounts together or can I leave them how they are? My only concern is the frame flexing.

Thoughts?

One fine build. Shame about the bar being to long. The run at Big Dogs, is that the big Fall crawl you guys are going to?

I tied mine together.

i looked quickly through your build thread, prbly need to spend a little more time in it, but do you have any pics of what you did?

One fine build. Shame about the bar being to long. The run at Big Dogs, is that the big Fall crawl you guys are going to?

yes, about 7 of us from the West Virginia Jeep Club will be staying at Capon Bridge at a members house and heading to Big Dogs saturday and sunday. I know I know.. I'm in a Jeep club, it gets worse.. im one of the guys in charge lol

Wouldn't happen to be Berkeley county jeep club? I know one guy in the club and he's always down there.
I think the Mid Atlantic Early Broncos will be there also. They invited me to come. For sure next year, this year iffy.

Wouldn't happen to be Berkeley county jeep club? I know one guy in the club and he's always down there.
I think the Mid Atlantic Early Broncos will be there also. They invited me to come. For sure next year, this year iffy.

the WVJC president moved out there this spring, hes been making some contacts with Berkeley County Jeepers, not sure if they will be there. MAEB will be there huh? I'll have some eye candy to look at lol

If youre able to make it this year let me know, I'd love to take a look at that B2 in person!

My FIL was able to get the steering rod fixed, front ds is getting shortened an inch tomorrow, hopefully I can get the steering done this week. Gonna work on a crossmember for the radius arm brackets this weekend.

Back